DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max Altitude Scenario Question

Illuminata Photo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Greetings!

I wish to pick the collective brain of this audience. I'm a US certificated drone pilot, as well as hold a sport pilot license. My question regards the "maximum" altitude that I might fly my drones. Following is the pertinent (I believe) regulation:

§ 107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.​

A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).
(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

My scenario is if I want to view a tall vertical structure (tower, mountain, building), then it appears to me that as long as I'm within in 400' of that structure, I could fly to the maximum height of the structure in question plus another 400'. So, if there's 1000' tall antenna, I could legally fly to a max altitude of 1400' AGL as long as I'm within 400' of this antenna.

What's the collective viewpoint? Are there other things that I should consider in addition to the likely strong, turbulent winds? Are there local regulations that you might have run into that I should consider?

Manned aircraft are supposed to keep a mile away from antennas, as well as 1000' above populated areas, so I would hope to avoid manned aircraft.

Has anyone here pushed this envelope and, if so, what were your considerations and experiences.

I'm primarily an aerial photographer with my drone, so flying to the height of local antennas would give me a different view. Additionally, there are larger metropolises than mine that might be interesting to fly, but I want to be aware and prepared.

Thank you all and I look forward to your responses.

Tim

Reactions: CadrePilot
My scenario is if I want to view a tall vertical structure (tower, mountain, building), then it appears to me that as long as I'm within in 400' of that structure, I could fly to the maximum height of the structure in question plus another 400'. So, if there's 1000' tall antenna, I could legally fly to a max altitude of 1400' AGL as long as I'm within 400' of this antenna.
True so long as there are not other airspace restrictions in place for the area.

I'm a US certificated drone pilot, as well as hold a sport pilot license.
As long as the US certification is 14 CFR §107 and not just a §44809 recreational exception remote pilot, then §107.51 would apply to your flights.

Those flying under §44809 are limited to a maximum of 400’ AGL or less with no exceptions for obstacles.

Greetings!

I wish to pick the collective brain of this audience. I'm a US certificated drone pilot, as well as hold a sport pilot license. My question regards the "maximum" altitude that I might fly my drones. Following is the pertinent (I believe) regulation:

§ 107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.​

A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).
(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

What's the collective viewpoint? Are there other things that I should consider in addition to the likely strong, turbulent winds? Are there local regulations that you might have run into that I should consider?

Manned aircraft are supposed to keep a mile away from antennas, as well as 1000' above populated areas, so I would hope to avoid manned aircraft.

Has anyone here pushed this envelope and, if so, what were your considerations and experiences.

I'm primarily an aerial photographer with my drone, so flying to the height of local antennas would give me a different view. Additionally, there are larger metropolises than mine that might be interesting to fly, but I want to be aware and prepared.

Thank you all and I look forward to your responses.

Tim
This is UK limits up a structure! The 400 Feet horizontally makes no sense as 400 feet is a verical limit from a ground point ? 400 feet horizontally from a structure makes little sense as it could conflict with especially Helicopter traffic ! The UK and EASA structure limits seem more realistic than FAA

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 19
This is UK limits up a structure! The 400 Feet horizontally makes no sense as 400 feet is a verical limit from a ground point ? 400 feet horizontally from a structure makes little sense as it could conflict with especially Helicopter traffic ! The UK and EASA structure limits seem more realistic than FAA
You make a very good point. I was looking at some possible opportunities for flying amongst skyscrapers and realized that helicopter traffic could very likely be an issue!

Good article:

Thank you for sharing - great video and lesson!

The US version has to do more with the lateral distance fixed wing aircraft must allow around obstacles (as I recall it is 500feet). The 400 foot lateral distance for UAS is well within that distance.

Of course rotary aircraft are not bound by the same rules as fixed wing and therefore airspace usage can easily overlap between them and UAS. The UK version would only be better in theory if manned rotary aircraft must be more than 50m horizontally and 15m vertically to avoid interaction with a UAS. Otherwise the same problem exists in both countries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J