DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones - Headed on long term travel - Need advice

vagabond2021

Reactions
Hey guys,

I am a retired combat vet, I built a motorcycle that I am taking to drift around the U.S for a good part of the year. My plan is to pull the bike with my vehicle I modified and setup camp, then take the bike around each area to do photography projects with my mirrorless, etc.

I was thinking and I would like to dabble into recording my journey, just keep my face and name anonymous. I bought a DJ action camera for my helmet, that I can throw on my pack and head while I venture around dismounted too. To really get the whole picture, I was thinking a drone would really make the short film.

I am torn because I see a lot of people talking about Skydio drones for adventure style travels, but to get one with everything and a warranty, I am looking at $2,300. That is a steep price tag for my first drone experience, compared to around $1,000 for a good portable DJ variation.

Any suggestions on which drone to follow me on the bike and get some shots would work?

My key desire is document what I am doing for personal reasons and not take away from the authentic nature of what I am doing as well in my drifting.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

If you're looking to record yourself, walking, running, riding, etc then the Skydio is good for this. If you're looking to just video/photo record your travels I would recommend the Mini 3 Pro or Air 2s

Reactions: Hauptmann
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

If you're looking to record yourself, walking, running, riding, etc then the Skydio is good for this. If you're looking to just video/photo record your travels I would recommend the Mini 3 Pro or Air 2s
Gfields, thanks for the reply. I will use the action came for dismounted. I want to keep my anonymity in the filming. The recording would be for the motorcycle. Would you still recommend the mini 3 pro or air 2 for that?

An Insta360 X3 on a long selfie pole would be much easier to manage for "follow me" shots rather than try to manage a drone behind you while riding.
A drone and FAA pilot certification is much more complex to document your travels.

If you're looking for a few simple following/passing shots on this trip and don't have a lot of other needs for a drone, I'd go the simple and inexpensive route and use that DJI action camera. Mount it to a sign post or tree, turn it on and ride past it or away from it. You can incorporate those kinds of shots into your videos quite easily. and effectively. (I've noticed that drone shots in movies and television programs are typically only about three seconds long and very seldom over five.)

The advertisements make it seem simple to do follow-me shots with a drone, but they're somewhat misleading. There's more involved than they suggest. We see quite a few posts on this forum from people who had problems and damaged or destroyed their drones. And adding another gadget and the learning process will complicate an extended road trip

As @FLDave, an Insta360 on a stick mounted to the rear of the bike is another great option. You get simultaneous viewpoints in all directions and you can clip conventional two-dimensional photos from them. (If you decide to go that way, I have one that is barely used that I've been intending to list on eBay.)

An Insta360 X3 on a long selfie pole would be much easier to manage for "follow me" shots rather than try to manage a drone behind you while riding.
A drone and FAA pilot certification is much more complex to document your travels.
Yes, that is a good idea, I saw those, I went with the DJ action camera, I would have to buy another one, which I probably won't.

If you're looking for a few simple following/passing shots on this trip and don't have a lot of other needs for a drone, I'd go the simple and inexpensive route and use that DJI action camera. Mount it to a sign post or tree, turn it on and ride past it or away from it. You can incorporate those kinds of shots into your videos quite easily. and effectively. (I've noticed that drone shots in movies and television programs are typically only about three seconds long and very seldom over five.)

The advertisements make it seem simple to do follow-me shots with a drone, but they're somewhat misleading. There's more involved than they suggest. We see quite a few posts on this forum from people who had problems and damaged or destroyed their drones. And adding another gadget and the learning process will complicate an extended road trip

As @FLDave, an Insta360 on a stick mounted to the rear of the bike is another great option. You get simultaneous viewpoints in all directions and you can clip conventional two-dimensional photos from them. (If you decide to go that way, I have one that is barely used that I've been intending to list on eBay.)

That is what I was thinking, I just saw it becoming cumbersome to where it took away from being in the moment.

The insta is not a bad option, just for the views you spoke of. Private msg me regarding the one you are selling on Ebay, we can talk.

Hey guys,

I am a retired combat vet, I built a motorcycle that I am taking to drift around the U.S for a good part of the year. My plan is to pull the bike with my vehicle I modified and setup camp, then take the bike around each area to do photography projects with my mirrorless, etc.

I was thinking and I would like to dabble into recording my journey, just keep my face and name anonymous. I bought a DJ action camera for my helmet, that I can throw on my pack and head while I venture around dismounted too. To really get the whole picture, I was thinking a drone would really make the short film.

I am torn because I see a lot of people talking about Skydio drones for adventure style travels, but to get one with everything and a warranty, I am looking at $2,300. That is a steep price tag for my first drone experience, compared to around $1,000 for a good portable DJ variation.

Any suggestions on which drone to follow me on the bike and get some shots would work?

My key desire is document what I am doing for personal reasons and not take away from the authentic nature of what I am doing as well in my drifting.

Thank you.
I highly recommend the mni 3 pro it can fit in your pocket and keeps you much closer to your budget. Make sure you get at least one extra battery. If you go to YOUTUBE and type in “Mini 3 pro” you will see tons of good reviews. Live from western Iraq 😊
Have a great trip safe flying.

I have done the follow me with my Phantom 4 Pro but haven't done it with the Mavics that I have. I have the Air2S. I just got that drone recently over the winter. I plan on testing that this spring. The Phantom does a great job at this. As for how that performed I had no problems. I had to be careful to choose a road that didn't have foliage on it and power lines on it. Being I didn't want it to crash into either of them. Even though the Phantom has obstacle detection in it, I don't want to test it. On the demo videos they show it is so easy to do it. I would disagree, they are ok in controlled situations when you have scouted the path of the drone. I wouldn't fly the drone without scouting.

As for getting a drone that you can carry, get the Mini 3 pro. I know I don't own one, I own a Mini 2. It is nice to be able to stick it in your pocket and not have to worry about a case, necessarily. Or the case you put it in is small enough it doesn't take up much room. I am not quite sure the top speed of the Mini 3 pro, I do know the Air2S goes over 40 mph very easily. Both handle wind like a champ. The Mini 3 pro does get better battery life and the batteries are smaller in size. I believe you can get an extended life battery for the Mini 3 Pro that keeps you flying more. The downside is that it takes you over the 249 grams that keeps you from having to register the drone. I would keep that in mind if you go that route. The Air2S roughly gets 25 minutes on one battery and is much larger in size. I love my Air2S and how it flys. I love the camera on it, and the features that it has, but I am not riding on a motorcycle either.

I have done the follow me with my Phantom 4 Pro but haven't done it with the Mavics that I have. I have the Air2S. I just got that drone recently over the winter. I plan on testing that this spring. The Phantom does a great job at this. As for how that performed I had no problems. I had to be careful to choose a road that didn't have foliage on it and power lines on it. Being I didn't want it to crash into either of them. Even though the Phantom has obstacle detection in it, I don't want to test it. On the demo videos they show it is so easy to do it. I would disagree, they are ok in controlled situations when you have scouted the path of the drone. I wouldn't fly the drone without scouting.

As for getting a drone that you can carry, get the Mini 3 pro. I know I don't own one, I own a Mini 2. It is nice to be able to stick it in your pocket and not have to worry about a case, necessarily. Or the case you put it in is small enough it doesn't take up much room. I am not quite sure the top speed of the Mini 3 pro, I do know the Air2S goes over 40 mph very easily. Both handle wind like a champ. The Mini 3 pro does get better battery life and the batteries are smaller in size. I believe you can get an extended life battery for the Mini 3 Pro that keeps you flying more. The downside is that it takes you over the 249 grams that keeps you from having to register the drone. I would keep that in mind if you go that route. The Air2S roughly gets 25 minutes on one battery and is much larger in size. I love my Air2S and how it flys. I love the camera on it, and the features that it has, but I am not riding on a motorcycle either.
Thank you for the reply, sounds like the compromise will be the mini pro 3. It will not be the "Best", but if I just want some basic footage here for personal documentation reasons, while being portable, it should do the trick.

Hey guys,

Thank you.
I think the DJI choice is better but regardless of your choice, thank you Brother, for your Service and best wishes on your trip!

Thanks, I really like the Skydio tracking, but for the $1,200 price difference, I will pass. For $1,079 on Amazon I can get the Mini pro 3 with the fly more kit and a 2 year warranty. I really want to do some open terrain shots in the midwest in public lands, since there are not really obstacles in a lot of these open plain places, I can put it in sport mode and crack up the follow speed. Also one thing I don't like about the Skydio, beyond price, is the issue with it working in low light, I plan to do a lot of golden hour shots. I think the pros of the DJ outweighs the Skydio for now, we will see what next gen brings around, but for the journey I am on, I think the DJ will serve me well.

Any tips on the DJ mini pro 3, I have a month to get up to speed on this for the journey.

Thank you for the reply, sounds like the compromise will be the mini pro 3. It will not be the "Best", but if I just want some basic footage here for personal documentation reasons, while being portable, it should do the trick.
I don't think you will be disappointed. I haven't had the pleasure of using the Mini 3 Pro. But everything that I have read from other users they love it. Being able to get portrait mode is another great feature as well, something I believe that is available on the Mavic Mini 3 line. The camera is great on the drone so you'll get great video and pictures.

Hey guys,

Thank you.
Make sure you check the Reg's for the area(s) you will be flying in, and, if possible, have a copy printed out, or on your phone, to show anyone who questions you ... Most locals do not have a clue re. the Reg's ... Just returned from Chile, which has EXTREMELY tight rules now .. but found some 2020 rules there that allowed flight over sparsely populated areas w/o registration, photos of drone, license, etc... Only takes a few minutes to Google, and if you have time, and license is required, go ahead and apply ... Did so in EU last year and solved lots of problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest