DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to flying drones

Chris88

Reactions
Hello everyone I am looking into buying a drone and flying it for fun and will not go over 400 feet. Can someone please tell what needs to be done. And how would I go about flying it. Are where would I be the best place to go to find out this
Thanks

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

Also, if you haven't done so yet consider getting the AirMap and KittyHawk apps. I also suggest this Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map

Hello everyone I am looking into buying a drone and flying it for fun and will not go over 400 feet. Can someone please tell what needs to be done. And how would I go about flying it. Are where would I be the best place to go to find out this
Thanks
Hi Chris,
Get started off on the right foot and spend the next 30 minutes watching a FREE video by Greg at Pilot Institute. Log into Pilot Institute.com, and look for “Ultimate Guide to becoming a Drone Pilot” This surely will give you the direction you are looking for.
Happy Trails & Blue Skies.
Bob

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post . Thumbswayup

Thanks for the replies. I guess the one part I am having problems with is where I can fly the drone. From what I see using one of the apps to see if there is a restriction. But if I stay below 400 feet I should be ok.

Welcome to the forum. You will find much support and assistance here. We look forward toy our contributions and your view of the world.

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

You'll find that DJI drones practically fly themselves. I don't know which drone you'll get, but read your manual, and practice using "Find My Drone". Chances are you'll crash and lose your bird. Just be sure you know how to find it before that happens. It's tough to learn how when you're under stress and in less than ideal circumstances. As to where you can fly? This depends largely on where you live. If in the US, Airmap and/or Kittyhawk (both free) will help you avoid NFZs.

We have over 100,000 members worldwide--including many near you-- who will help you grow as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it, share your work when you can!

Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome..
Everyone has excellent suggestions...
I was in your shoes years ago and decided
To start with a phantom 3..
Got some experience ( 4 months)
Then sold that for a phantom 4...
After about a year with that it’s been
Mavics ever since..
Before the end of the year I hope
To have an inspire...
I have passed my 107 and forming
My business as we message....
Good luck

Hi Chris and welcome. First thing when you get your shiny new toy is to register it with the relevant authority if it weighs more than 250 grams - then your legal. In UK this means an online multi- choice questionnaire where you have to score - from memory - 80% to pass. Like the theory test for a driving licence. My first flights were in a big, flat area of parkland which was pretty much obstacle free, where I was able to find my way round the controls without the danger of collision while keeping the drone in sight while the confidence built.

Enjoy

Hi Chris and welcome. First thing when you get your shiny new toy is to register it with the relevant authority if it weighs more than 250 grams - then your legal. In UK this means an online multi- choice questionnaire where you have to score - from memory - 80% to pass. Like the theory test for a driving licence. My first flights were in a big, flat area of parkland which was pretty much obstacle free, where I was able to find my way round the controls without the danger of collision while keeping the drone in sight while the confidence built.

Enjoy
Thank you I have seen things about a test I guess I need to find out if they have a practice test. I am think about getting a Mavic air 2

Reactions: mrjohnc1
You can't really fail. You have the rule book open in one window for reference if required, and the test paper open in another. It's an 'open book ' test so no chance of failure. But as I said, that's in UK.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr