DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to Mavic and very sad

Here is a movie in the house. Very short video but will still show the jerky movement while panning the camera. I believe this was also in 2k. Tried to
use different lighting to see if it made any difference.

I get that kind of strobe-like movement when I'm on 24p. Are you sure you're at 30fps on the 4k?

I'm pretty sure video was in 2k...Didn't even bother with 4k as it got really, choppy.

Im starting to believe that DJI has no idea how much CRAP they are shipping out !

Reactions: HelloNasty1
Video in the house looks pretty normal. But if shutter speed is too high it will exhibit the behavior you see. Plus if you are panning just to pan you have to go slowly. If our eyes don't get the chance to focus on an object in the shot it will appear choppy to us.

Its caused by the fps / Shutter speed ... you need to aim for twice the shutter speed of the fps for smooth footage. As the mavic camera has fixed aperture the only solution to lower the shutter speed is by using ND filters.

Hey guys I really appreciate all your help and patience with me. Here is my last video... look at my head as the drone gets closer and passes buy. Starts at about 3 seconds and goes to about 11 seconds. my head flickers and looks like it gets chopped out for a split second. This was filmed in 1080P, and I think it was what ever is standard (can't remember if it was 24 frames per second or not)....

Here is a movie in the house. Very short video but will still show the jerky movement while panning the camera. I believe this was also in 2k. Tried to

Flying in the house is certainly going to lead to bad things.

Anyway if you insist on trying, re shoot the video with video set to 1080P 30FS then set the video to manual settings and the shutter set to 60 and ISO at 100. Adjust the light in the room until you have a good video picture and then try your test again. I think you will find everything is perfect.
These guys are giving you good advice, for outdoor shooting your going to need a set of ND filters.

Rob

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
Everything in that video looks normal except the glitch at the start.
That glitch is there more than what's shown in the video, but due to space issues, I was only able to give you the first few seconds.....The longer video has many more of these glitches!

I use these one, no problems when shooting in 4K which I do most of the time. We have a 4K TV love to watch the footage on the big TV.

View attachment 5799 View attachment 5800

I would use the San Disk Extreme, not the Ultra. San Disk is confusing as their SD cards are similarly named. The Extreme is red and gold and is recommended for Go Pros and any 4K video. The Ultra is good for HD, mainly to use in a phone. If you are using a dedicated video recorder, especially with 4K capabilities I would go with the Extreme.

I would use the San Disk Extreme, not the Ultra. San Disk is confusing as their SD cards are similarly named. The Extreme is red and gold and is recommended for Go Pros and any 4K video. The Ultra is good for HD, mainly to use in a phone. If you are using a dedicated video recorder, especially with 4K capabilities I would go with the Extreme.

I use the Ultra and have zero issues. Exceeds the specs of the card that comes with the Mavic...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yeah that glitch is kind of strange but not unheard of when dealing with a camera like these. The rest of your problems seem like typical shutter speed issues. Definitely heed the advice here about using ND filters to lower your shutter speed to as close to 2x frame rate as possible. Even in not terribly bright conditions I've seen the shutter speed get ramped up to 1600+ fairly commonly without appropriate filters. That's way too high for any kind of acceptable video quality.

Reactions: kykayak
@mman your video looks pretty normal to me with default settings. You can test till you are blue and it will be the same results. I had the SAME problems. As some of the members have said.. avoid flying indoors, just an accident waiting to happen. Get your YAW, ATTITUDE and GIMBAL toned down in speed and sensitivity. Since you do not have any lens filter just yet, it will be hard to change your shutter to double the frame rate and not get an overexposed picture. Some of the things you can test until you get your lens filter is film in 1080 @ 30FPS or 4k @24 fps at auto. Once your lens filter comes in aim for ISO 100, Shutter 50/60 and 4K 24/30FPS.

Make sure to adjust the rotation and gimbal settings, I found that out of the box they are very aggressive.
Also make sure to tilt quite slowly

Reactions: Merlin23
Nothing wrong with the drone. To me it looks more like a fine tuning issue. Also you need to learn how to make proper footage. It takes some time. I'm still struggling myself to have the "perfect" shot

Adventure is just bad planning

So after months of reading up about the Mavic and saving up for it, I finally received the drone last week. Unfortunately for me the video quality in the horizontal pan movements were horrible. The video was quite jerky and almost looked like it would skip frames. I tried to re-format the sd card and still had same issue. I re-set the Gimbal in hopes of change and nothing. Then I changed the video frame from 1080P to a higher level and the video got worst. So I contacted DJI. What an experience that was! I waited 1.5 hours on phone and the person told me to redo the IMU, then the gimbal and it would take care of it. I asked him to wait online while I attempted the fix and he said that it would take 15 minutes and he would not wait. So I attempted the fix he suggested and unfortunately still had the same issue. So I contacted DJI again just to wait another 1.5 hours and now the quad has been sent to California.
I'm so disappointed as I love all the videos I see on YouTube and such of this drone's capabilities. My frustration is that the video looked great when it was in a Vertical movement, but was bad in horizontal movement. This was not a jello effect that others are talking about.
Has anyone else had similar issue?

I am very clear as to why your footage from the MAVIC PRO skips when you play it back on your computer. Simply, it's the video player you are using. There is NOTHING wrong with the MAVIC. Now as for as the horizontal pan movement you are having with the MAVIC. There are a few adjustments in your MAVIC Controller that will fix that problem OK?

First go to the "Main Settings" by pressing the "three dots" on the top right of the screen. Then press on the "Drone icon" at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Then press on "Advanced Settings" and then press on "EXP". Then set the rudder left to 0.10. Then go back to the "Advanced Settings" screen and go to "Sensitive" and set the brake to 70 and set the "Yaw Movement" to 70.

Then go back to the Main Settings page and scroll down the icons on the left till you see the Gimbal Icon. Then scroll down on the "Gimbal Settings" page until you get to "Advanced Settings" and open it. Go to "Gimbal Pitch Speed" and set it to 10. Then go to "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" and set it to 15. Then turn on the switch that says "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow".

Then your MAVIC PRO video footage will be wonderful.

To the poster.

You are right thinking that something is off with your footage.

My Mavic is doing the same thing as it's getting sent back.

I and others have run multitude of tests at proper shutter speeds and that flashing video stuttering is not normal.

ND filters will not help.

I hate to tell you this but you will likely need to send it back.

In the past week I have seen lots of posts on here and other forums about this same issue and have been talking to people about it.

Call DJI and ask for a replacement because it's is honestly not normal despite what people say.

FYI

Look at the threads on here about video issues like yours.

I use the Ultra and have zero issues. Exceeds the specs of the card that comes with the Mavic...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Actually this is not correct unfortunately. The Panasonic cards that DJI send out are UHS Speed class 3 rated which is depicted with the number 3 in the "U" symbol, the ULTRA only has a rating of 1. The ULTRA cards are not rated for 4k video at all. If we go by the bitrate specification and take into account what the Mavic records at (~7.5MB/s) then on paper yes they should be sufficient but I have come across numerous people who were experiencing dropped frames and or receiving SD card errors when recording at 4k with the ULTRA cards. If you are going to buy a card then do not buy the ULTRA cards or anything in that spec range simply to be on the safe side, make sure that the card it rated for 4k video, at the very least you are future proofing yourself for a higher bitrate. This may help. :) 2016-12-13_00-43-08.png

Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom