DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New "To the Mavic"

Golgo69

Reactions
Hello all, I'm a new mavic pilot, but not new to drones. I currently have a P4 that I've had for two years, and picked up a mavic (not platinum) today at bestbuy. BestBuy is offering a $100 BB gift card with the purchase of the mavic. I have a couple of question (and yes I'm searching for the answers on this site), does the mavic work well with android phones (I have an S8) and I see that you can use the AC without a phone connected to the RC, does that effect maximum range?? Thanks

Reactions: panam10
Hello all, I'm a new mavic pilot, but not new to drones. I currently have a P4 that I've had for two years, and picked up a mavic (not platinum) today at bestbuy. BestBuy is offering a $100 BB gift card with the purchase of the mavic. I have a couple of question (and yes I'm searching for the answers on this site), does the mavic work well with android phones (I have an S8) and I see that you can use the AC without a phone connected to the RC, does that effect maximum range?? Thanks
It uses DJI GO4 app same as your P4. Whatever works for the P4 should be good with mavic.

You can fly without a phone connected but you may be limited to 50m when not logged into app.
Connecting phone then removing bypasses this.

I wouldn't like to fly to far without phone anyway.

It uses DJI GO4 app same as your P4. Whatever works for the P4 should be good with mavic.

You can fly without a phone connected but you may be limited to 50m when not logged into app.
Connecting phone then removing bypasses this.

I wouldn't like to fly to far without phone anyway.

It depends on which firmware you have. Older firmware allowed unlimited range without a smart device attached. I'm not sure which version had the change.

Reactions: Callum
Callum, thanks for the quick reply! I use a ipad for the P4, it seems like a ipad would be to large for the RC on the mavic. Other than the ipad (for the P4) i'm an android man so I don't have an iPhone

Reactions: Landmix
It depends on which firmware you have. Older firmware allowed unlimited range without a smart device attached. I'm not sure which version had the change.
True, think it was .800 that brought in the restrictions

Callum, thanks for the quick reply! I use a ipad for the P4, it seems like a ipad would be to large for the RC on the mavic. Other than the ipad (for the P4) i'm an android man so I don't have an iPhone
You can get a bracket that will hold a full sized iPad. Mavmount is one.

I fly with an iPad mini 4 that fits with no bracket needed.

My S8 also works fine these days although wasn't always the case.

Your S8 should work fine ... other people are using S8's just close all tbe background stuff and put the S8 into flight mode.

Had a good night flight, only thing is I couldn't figure out how to switch the front lights on. They seem to be on by default on the P4.....can someone tell me where this is? thanks

Where you recording??
There's an option to turn the lights off whilst recording to stop spurious light getting in the lens. This is one of msinger s images from the past.
DJI-GO-Turn-Off-LEDs-For-Photos.jpg

Last edited:
yes I was recording.....I guess its on auto turn off. I'll check. thanks!

my lights on the front are on,once i record they turn off,just opposite

Even more mysterious is that if you fly without an sd card the red lights stay on while recording.
just another thing that makes you go hmmm:)

This list is quite accurate, even if it lists a Samsung as good while they have stopped supporting it after a certain GO 4 App update. Can't remember the exact model - found it: "The Samsung Tab A (2016) is on that list. It doesn't work with Go4 any more. (it has been fine for months, but no more.) Litchi and Drone Harmony are fine."

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

And they finally added the P9 Lite (which I use flawlessly) to the list

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1
Man this list is great! Wish i had this two years ago. My S8 edge actually works flawlessly. Just getting use to the smaller screen is tough. I used (or use) an iPad air 2 for the phantom 4. What's the best and most comfortable screen mount for the mavic. Also, can an ipad mini air 2 fit in the bracket of the RC? I tried (slightly) but thought someone said they use that with no mount.

Man this list is great! Wish i had this two years ago. My S8 edge actually works flawlessly. Just getting use to the smaller screen is tough. I used (or use) an iPad air 2 for the phantom 4. What's the best and most comfortable screen mount for the mavic. Also, can an ipad mini air 2 fit in the bracket of the RC? I tried (slightly) but thought someone said they use that with no mount.

iPad mini fits mavic
Controller perfectly.

iPad mini fits mavic
Controller perfectly.
I must be doing something wrong......
26e385a8a830521d33173b1f41591e47.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads