DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Update - Weird White Balance?

ClearPropMedia

Reactions
Not sure if anyone in the forum has noticed this since doing the latest update, but the white balance is different in auto vs manual. What I used to do in order to set my white balance was hit auto, let it choose the white balance, and then turn off auto so it stays at that setting and that white balance without shifting. If I do that same thing now, the color is drastically different between auto white balance and manual, even though the reading is showing as exactly the same number. Any thoughts? 2500K in Auto is way more orange than 2500k in manual (tested indoors).

Thanks!

Not sure if anyone in the forum has noticed this since doing the latest update, but the white balance is different in auto vs manual. What I used to do in order to set my white balance was hit auto, let it choose the white balance, and then turn off auto so it stays at that setting and that white balance without shifting. If I do that same thing now, the color is drastically different between auto white balance and manual, even though the reading is showing as exactly the same number. Any thoughts? 2500K in Auto is way more orange than 2500k in manual (tested indoors).

Thanks!
My guess is that the white balance slider doesn't update its position in the app when you change from Auto to Manual WB like it used to do. So for example if it automatically selects 3000K value, then you switch to Manual the value stays on 3000K but the slider goes to the latest "Manual adjustment" position. It's just a guess, I don't own a Mavic 3 so can't test, I'm just guessing. I'm interested what others have to say about this.

My guess is that the white balance slider doesn't update its position in the app when you change from Auto to Manual WB like it used to do. So for example if it automatically selects 3000K value, then you switch to Manual the value stays on 3000K but the slider goes to the latest "Manual adjustment" position. It's just a guess, I don't own a Mavic 3 so can't test, I'm just guessing. I'm interested what others have to say about this.
Hm, not sure. It’s weird. I just tried it now at 5000k and the auto has more Orange to it. To replicate what the auto is doing in manual, I have to put it up by another 500 or so. Tried to attach a video but it wouldn’t let me so I took two screenshots. Both at 5000k and one at auto and then one at manual. As soon as I turn off the “auto” button, the color shifts from the orange tint to a less orange tint.. but both are still at the same 5000k.

Attachments

• DD751F6A-B176-43A3-9DEB-E5AD9B3724D4.png
    DD751F6A-B176-43A3-9DEB-E5AD9B3724D4.png
    7 MB · Views: 10
  • 215CE196-26AB-4873-BCC2-588FB7133889.png
    215CE196-26AB-4873-BCC2-588FB7133889.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 10
That's a very annoying issue for sure. Auto white balance quite often gets it right, but it's unusable for video for obvious reasons. I use AWB to see if the color temperature is accurate, and then change to manual WB to keep the setting. This worked well until the latest firmware update.

Yes - I'm having a similar issue. Using the pro settings and switching between auto and manual does nothing. I end up with a washed out white screen. I'm trying to learn how to use Dlog, and color grading, but I've wasted two days with unusable footage.

Yes - I'm having a similar issue. Using the pro settings and switching between auto and manual does nothing. I end up with a washed out white screen.
White balance problems give you an image that's too yellow or too blue.
Washed out images sounds like bad exposure settings.
You've probably accidentally set your exposure compensation to overexpose.

Post an original, fullsize jpg and I can check it for you.

Reactions: Sripey

Thank you !
I've just got home at 10pm
I'll try and grab one tomorrow when it's light again.

Thanks for your help. But I think I've found the issue. The aperture was set way too low. Once adjusted, the image on screen became closer to the Auto setting.
I've tested a couple of quick videos tonight, and the overall Dlog image is much better.
It's just my color correction/grading skills that suck now. :)