DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New York flying

Trini_MP

Reactions
Hey Pilots

I am traveling to NYC in a few weeks to collect my mavic pro... It was ordered from Amazon with an insanely awesome bundle from edigitalusa. Where in NY can I safely test my device? Do I need to become a certified pilot before?

There may be a few city parks available to you, but NYC banned drones in all five boroughs (found that out when that Phantom 4 hit that UH-60 over Staten Island last month). Definitely check with local authorities before you try.

Jake

You might want to get on the train @grand central and head North on the Hudson line, also might want down load AirMap (Free app)it will help you find a spot to Fly.

I was told by one of the clerks in the DJI store in Manhattan that it is against NYC law to fly anywhere in the city and the fine is $10K.

A few weeks ago an idiot in Staten Island crashed his drone into a military helicopter at 400 ft and it was widely reported in the media so don’t expect the NY police to be sympathetic.

NJ would be a quicker trip but as someone else said, Metro North is your next best option. I fly in Westchester county near Metro North ... PM me if you want suggestions

Or the beaches on Long Island if you are willing to rent a car or take a train and a taxi

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbyg
I was told by one of the clerks in the DJI store in Manhattan that it is against NYC law to fly anywhere in the city and the fine is $10K.

Wow, that must be great for sales. And he's wrong. There are a few parks that allow drone flying; just look them up.

You might want to get on the train @grand central and head North on the Hudson line, also might want down load AirMap (Free app)it will help you find a spot to Fly.
I checked the reviews on AirMap and they weren't encouraging. attached a copy of these reviews as an example Photo Oct 14, 10 16 24 PM.jpg

A few weeks ago an idiot in Staten Island crashed his drone into a military helicopter at 400 ft and it was widely reported in the media so don’t expect the NY police to be sympathetic.

NJ would be a quicker trip but as someone else said, Metro North is your next best option. I fly in Westchester county near Metro North ... PM me if you want suggestions

Or the beaches on Long Island if you are willing to rent a car or take a train and a taxi
Well I am actually going to be in New Rochelle.. On my way to stamford....

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13