DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Zoom & Smart Controller Owner

Martysticks

Reactions
Well, I've asked a few questions here, mostly about the Smart Controller and filters for the Mavic 2 Zoom. I did end up ordering one, along with the Fly-More kit from B&H Photo as they were one of the recommendations I found here. Ordered on May 14th and everything showed up on May 20th; earlier than expected. Packaging was great.

Got everything unpacked and sorted out (this is actually my 3rd DJI Drone, I have a Mavic Air and a Mavic Pro Platinum) so I did know what I was expecting. I will say I was a little worried for a second because I could not find the extra props with the Fly-More kit; turned out they were tucked in one of the Fly-More bags pockets and I just missed them :)

I did have a few issues at first. I plugged in the single battery charger and started charging the first battery, then I plugged in the SC. I immediately got a message saying 'slow charging, use supplied charger and cable' or something like that. Well, I was using the supplied charger. Checked around the forums and I saw where someone suggested swapping the cable, which I did with one from my GoPro Hero 8. Started charging just fine.

Once those two items were fully charged I started charging the 2nd battery and went on to do the activation and firmware updates. The SC activated/updated fine and the SC linked right up to the drone. All good.

When outside for a quick test flight and noticed I had no video feed from the drone to the SC; had all the telemetry information but just a grey screen for video. I looked thru settings and then, out of the blue I thought it might be a sequence thing so I powered off/on the SC and now I had video. I remembered reading about this and then did some additional research and one of the suggestions was to power up the drone, then the SC, but instead of hitting the G04 selection on the main screen go to the APP tab and select the Go4 app from there. I did fly around my immediate area for about 20 minutes just to get a feel for some of the new features, but it was about 8pm so time to call it a night.

This morning I went out this morning around 10am and using the suggestion on startup sequence (above) everything connected and I flew the drone with the remainder of the battery from the previous night and partially a second one. Everything worked great. Even put in a 128G SD card in both the drone and SC :) i had to stop because the sun was right on me and it was getting hot (I live in FL). Good news is I could see the screen on the SC with absolutely no issues or glare :)

Tonight I went out and decided to burn off the 2nd battery (I had about 45%) doing some quick tests and playing with more settings, like max distance, multiple flight modes (so I could try out sport mode) and screen capture. Then I put in the 3rd fully charged battery and ran that until I hit 25% and landed her. That flight was under 38,000 feet or just under 7.25 miles.

Tried RTH several times and each time it was dead-nuts on the landing pad. Okay, one time I tried it but it was literally 15 feet away (30 feet up) and it just landed.

Done for the night I came inside and decided to charge the SC with the original brick and cable and it now works just fine. I wonder if it was just the initial charge that was slow? Also, my sequence of starting up the drone, then the SC, and then selecting DJI Go4 from the app menu did not let me down after multiple flights now.

What an amazing drone. I am truly happy with this little guy.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice from the very kind and helpful folks here on the forum.

Much appreciated;

Marty

Welcome to the Zoom owners club! Your experience is very similar to mine with the drone. Excellent piece of kit!!

Good luck and happy flying!

Reactions: Lionfish
Congratz

I've actually decided on the Zoom/SC combo myself after I recently sold my MP1, but I'm waiting on the father's day sale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji