DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newb with a new Air

Hillbilly Pilot

Reactions
Well I picked it up Saturday but with all the rain I finally got to “play” with it this afternoon. Man this thing is way more advanced than I am! After messing around with it I got it to come on... then fought it to sync it to DJI Go4. Got through that and was able to get it to fly with my phone...well kind of it would take off and go about 20’ straight up, back to home a couple times. Then I remember I have to sync it with the remote. The last time up it tells me low battery so that’s about all for the day. Sure didn’t seem like it was going for very long. I’ll put batteries on charge in the morning and get it back out.
Any advice or tips? And yes I read the manual just this old man can’t remember everything!

Do you have a single battery or fly more combo with three batteries?

Early on, it feel like it drains fast, especially if you were spending time linking and such.

It's a learning curve, but it will bend in your favor faster than you think.

Don't take off under any trees, hover until you get a home lock or don't take off without one.

Get UAV Forecast app (or comparable) to make sure you know what the winds are like in your area at various altitudes and how your satellite picture looks at that time.

Take your time as you gain confidence and enjoy!

Reactions: flymorecombo
After messing around with it I got it to come on... then fought it to sync it to DJI Go4. Got through that and was able to get it to fly with my phone...well kind of it would take off and go about 20’ straight up, back to home a couple times.

Any advice or tips? And yes I read the manual just this old man can’t remember everything!

Yes... _do not_ fly without the controller. It is simply an accident waiting to happen.

Yes I have the fly more package.... kind of thought syncing was the reason the battery drained so fast.

I couldn’t get it to fly without the remote. Guess it was a good thing.
All I can say is home button was my friend!

Yes I have the fly more package.... kind of thought syncing was the reason the battery drained so fast.

I couldn’t get it to fly without the remote. Guess it was a good thing.
All I can say is home button was my friend!
It gets easier fast, I had built and flown racing fpv drones for two years and still had a learning curve going to the air. Worth the effort though.

It gets easier fast, I had built and flown racing fpv drones for two years and still had a learning curve going to the air. Worth the effort though.
I got bit on a trip and had the pleasure of flying with Aerial-POV at Amelia Island on the beach in Florida. That fella had the Air and I had a blast. Now I just have to get this working so I can “work” with it!

Reactions: Astom22
In the same spot spent the night going through my first setup, charging, FW update and tomorrow will be first flight if I can get off work in time. Congrats!

Well I got it figured out and actually flew a little before having to leave and pick up a grandson!
Still not a lot of time on the battery but was syncing everything up!
You don’t have to do that every time do ya?

Well I got it figured out and actually flew a little before having to leave and pick up a grandson!
Still not a lot of time on the battery but was syncing everything up!
You don’t have to do that every time do ya?
I also see the need for a tablet. I am using a iPhone 7plus and it is almost too big for the controls maybe a different mounting system would work...

The morning went 100% better than this evening. Took the Air out to show the grandson that I can fly. Well truth is I can’t! Not sure what happened but after I got the bird on and the RC synced. Hit the home button and then the launch. The thing takes off like straight up a couple hundred feet and the controller was doing anything. So I hit the home button to bring it down. It gets about 20’ from the ground and next thing I know it flys straight back about 30 to 40 feet into the house.
Good news is all that broke was a couple props.
I had to pick it up while still running strong to shut it off.

This thing is going to cause me to pull my hair out. I know what happened is something I did or didn’t do..
Ug!

I have a 3d printed tablet holder if you want one. It will need the spring to hold it shut, but it's ready to go, other than that.

Just hover and let the drone get a home lock, then fly. How many satellites did you have locked in? That can be an issue. Self land, it's actually easy to do.

It was hovering at 20’ when it decided to fly backwards. The RC wasn’t doing any thing at all joy sticks wouldn’t move the bird at all in any direction. I got it to come down to the 20’ point by hitting the Home button on my phone through go4 screen...
Thanks for the offer but I’m going to see where this all goes before buying a mount or tablet.

It was hovering at 20’ when it decided to fly backwards. The RC wasn’t doing any thing at all joy sticks wouldn’t move the bird at all in any direction. I got it to come down to the 20’ point by hitting the Home button on my phone through go4 screen...
Thanks for the offer but I’m going to see where this all goes before buying a mount or tablet.
If you want, I'll send it for free. Just a way to support a fellow drone lover in their adventurers. Let me know. I can send you pics too. Should be a good mount, but it's too big for my Note 9.

Reactions: HYRYSC
Hillbilly, I would recommend getting "Personal Article" insurance for it as soon as you can. I got mine through State Farm for $60/year and it covers full replacement.

I can't tell you how much more peace of mind I have and I don't hesitate nearly as much to try to get difficult shots over water, close to objects etc. I might still shed a solitary tear if I happen to crash it, but it won't be a $900 accident.

Well I picked it up Saturday but with all the rain I finally got to “play” with it this afternoon. Man this thing is way more advanced than I am! After messing around with it I got it to come on... then fought it to sync it to DJI Go4. Got through that and was able to get it to fly with my phone...well kind of it would take off and go about 20’ straight up, back to home a couple times. Then I remember I have to sync it with the remote. The last time up it tells me low battery so that’s about all for the day. Sure didn’t seem like it was going for very long. I’ll put batteries on charge in the morning and get it back out.

One thing to note is that when you have your phone connected to the remote controller and you are "entering the aircraft", make sure that you are selecting "WIRED CONNECTION".

I had a friend of mine try to fly mine and I wasn't paying much attention, but he walked over and said that he could not get the remote to connect to the drone. I took the remote, restarted the aircraft and then selected "WIRED CONNECTION". He said, "why did you select that, we aren't connected with a wired connection." Then it dawned on me that he had been selecting "WIRELESS CONNECTION" since obviously the drone is not connected via a wire.

Sounds pretty elementary to those of us who are familiar with our equipment, but to those that are new or unfamiliar, it can be confusing.

One thing to note is that when you have your phone connected to the remote controller and you are "entering the aircraft", make sure that you are selecting "WIRED CONNECTION".

I had a friend of mine try to fly mine and I wasn't paying much attention, but he walked over and said that he could not get the remote to connect to the drone. I took the remote, restarted the aircraft and then selected "WIRED CONNECTION". He said, "why did you select that, we aren't connected with a wired connection." Then it dawned on me that he had been selecting "WIRELESS CONNECTION" since obviously the drone is not connected via a wire.

Sounds pretty elementary to those of us who are familiar with our equipment, but to those that are new or unfamiliar, it can be confusing.
Now you tell me.... that’s why it did what it wanted to do I clicked wireless connection. I am pretty elementary that’s for sure!
And the first thing the wife said was is it insured? Nope but it will be now!

Reactions: Astom22 and HYRYSC
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02