DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie here - answer questions about DJI drones please

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Greetings from Southern Nevada and welcome to the group.

I second those who say to send your Amazon drone back. You will not be happy with it long term. Get a DJI Mini 2. It was my second drone after I bought... and returned an F11 drone from Amazon. I have 3 DJI drones, a Mini 2, an Air 2 S and a Mavic 2 Pro. Most of my work (I am a licensed Part 107 pilot) is for inspections of communication sites. I do about 75 percent of these with the Mini 2. It is a BARGAIN for what it gives you. You can usually pick them up at the Best Buy store on Virginia in Reno.
If you are using these videos for anything other than fun, you will need a part 107 license.

I highly recommend Greg at Pilot Institute. I passed with 90% on my first try.

All the best, have fun and fly safe.

Joe

The current DJI lineup all have good reliable signal strength that use Occusync technology.
Not true wifi.You still need pretty good line of sight from your controller to the drone.Out in the
open you will have no problems.A wall or say trees in the way may cause some issues.The only
DJI drone I would not even consider is the Mini SE as this uses regular wifi.
That's good info, I didn't realize the SE uses regular WiFi.

I'll have to withdraw that recommendation that I made to a friend, and tell them to go with the Mini-2 instead.

Thx!

TCS

There certainly are DJI drones that will have better distances, I am not familiar with all the different models that DJI has to offer but I personally opted for the DJI Mini 2. That model doesn't even use "wifi" (and likely has a much better range than using wifi), it uses "OcuSync 2.0". (that statement in red is not quite true - Ocusync is a modified WiFi that is less affected by other normal WiFi signals and is usable over longer distances and is proprietary to DJI: moderator edit DM) Ocusync 2.0 has a purported (max) range of 10km. Of course in reality you'd quite possibly be lucky to get 8km, but either way; I am sure it will likely go (work) a lot farther than WiFi will...

Battery life is very common to be somewhere between X-31 minutes ("listed")... Going back to the DJI Mini 2 that I chose, it has a "listed spec" flight time (max) of 31 minutes... It does seem this unit can actually attain that too, although you have to bear in mind, any machine/drone is going to suffer a reduction in flight time if it's inclement conditions, such as wind... Not to mention other factors like how fast you move around, ascend/descend etc... I'm almost sure you could put the mini 2 into "cinema" mode and fly around slow and not perform much altitude changes and actually see the full 31 minutes... On the other hand you could put it in sport mode and probably burn the battery out in 1/2 that time!

All that being said, I have to "chime in" (add) with a few important details, just in case you did not know / weren't aware... Firstly, to fly recreation-ally you must take the TRUST test (and carry that document with you whenever you fly)... I personally recommend getting it through the Pilot Institute... It is completely free, and done entirely online, and only takes about half of one hour. IIRC you only have to provide your name and an email address (no physical address required)... But this will cover all of the "ultimate basics", like TFR, VLOS, LAANC, 400' limit, uncontrolled/controlled airspace etc... It should also cover the next few aspects I'm about to get in to. To fly for recreation: if your drone is <250 grams - you will *not* need to register. If your drone is >250 grams, you *will* need to register. Also, you don't actually individually register each and every drone you own, you are basically registering yourself, to fly pretty much any drone you desire for recreation, between 0-55 lbs. Registration is $5 for 3 years. That being said, there is a CLEAR distinction for "recreation", and there really is NO "grey area"... Either you are "flying for fun" or you're not... If you *are* flying for fun, then that is "recreation"... If you are *NOT* flying for fun, then you are NOT flying for recreation and will require a Part 107/commercial license (has nothing to do with "for monetary gain")... You can surely study for this completely on your own, and take the test (I think it's $150)... Though I would also (again) recommend @pilotinstitute for their preparation courses for the Part 107 (I have not personally taken it but I hear it's "top notch"). ALL drones used under Part 107 MUST be registered (there's no 250 gram "cut-off" like there is for "recreation")! They (however) must be individually registered @ $5 / 3 years.

So, your intent as you describe it ("we want to use it to take videos for our online advertising. We run outdoor tours and want to make overhead videos of our tour groups"), would certainly be a Part 107 use by the way...

At any rate, another good "starting point" is this following link : https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

Personal recommendations for DJI drone models - I went with the Mini 2:
- DJI Air 2S
- DJI Mini 2
- DJI Mini SE
I just finished the Pilot Institute Part 107 course, and it is definitely "Top Notch"! The graphics are incredibly clear and informative. I've been a Part 61 pilot for 40 years, and the airspace lessons in the PI course are the best I've seen *EVER*.

I should also mention that if you're a current Part 61 pilot, getting the Part 107 is quick and painless. If you're not, it's going to take a fair amount of work...but Greg makes it easy!

:)

TCS

I did actually fail to remember that the SE was "WiFi", but also like Phantomrain.org said; I'd be willing to bet the DJI Mini SE would still be better than the Aovo ~ because "There is a reason why DJI is so loved, and respected because these drones amaze and blow away most any other drone company. "! Even the SE - IMHO

That being said, I completely understand budget being an issue for most... Which is why my top 3 recommendations are (priced highest to lowest): the Air 2S, Mini 2, Mini SE... With JUST the drones (no fly more/bundle); they can be had for $999,$449,$299, respectively... Or *with* the fly more bundle combo: $1299,$599,$449, respectively...! I would like to think 1 of those 6 options should be financially viable for almost anyone... As *anything* less than $299 is *definitely* going to be a "toy" (that is NOT going to take good pix/video)!

I think (at least to some degree) I could agree with not necessarily "recommending" the SE, but for someone with an extremely tight budget, it would be better than a "toy" or a "non brand name"! Personally I would recommend "no less" than the Mini 2; but not everyone can afford to drop $450 or $600 on their first drone! Certainly if "money is no object" then why not go with something like the Air2S (or an even "higher end" DJI)!?

Then there's the weight thing too... I know a few people who aren't bothered by having to register something like the Air2S, but I also know people that (even though they're "bloody rich") would go with the Mini 2, JUST because they don't have to register (as a "hobbyist")... Although that's clearly not an issue here because the OP clearly plans to use it for a Part107 use...
If you plan to fly more than just occasionally, I would definitely recommend the Fly More combo.

TCS

Reactions: Sparc343
LOL. I used some very expensive lights to see my drone at 3000' during daylight hours. The drone was more visible than even those 3 mile FAA strobes, but I sure got a heap of flack from the forum members for doing it. Most people will say VLOS (Visual Line of Site) max, night or day, is between 1000-1500 feet. Some will push it to 2000 feet. The key to VLOS is to visually know the orientation of your drone and to have situational awareness of the area surrounding the drone, in case you need to maneuver out of the way of a low flying manned aircraft or maybe perform an emergency landing.

You can buy a good inexpensive new or used DJI drone on EBAY. Find a reputable seller who has been there for a while and has good reviews.
What strobes did you use for that purpose?

I have the basic Arc from firehouse now, and I can see it reliably out to 1000 ft now, maybe 1200 ft on a good day. I just got an Arc V, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thx,

TCS

What strobes did you use for that purpose?

I have the basic Arc from firehouse now, and I can see it reliably out to 1000 ft now, maybe 1200 ft on a good day. I just got an Arc V, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thx,

TCS
It's been 2 years since I did that experiment. I wasn't using inexpensive strobes. I used 250 dollar high intensity EDC lights. I had the forward one flashing and the rear one solid. There light output was so high you could see them 4 miles away on a sunny clear day. Their weight stressed the drone's motors and reduced flight time by about 8 minutes, but the drone's orientation was easily determined. As far as situational awareness at 4 miles, there was some disagreement and lots of debate in the thread over this. I no longer use them for daytime flights and no longer recommend it.

Cree LED EDC (Every Day Carry) 3000-4000 lumen flashlights are small and fairly light weight. They're the best types of high intensity lights you could attach to a drone, but they are still a bit heavy. When used as night spot lights at 200-300 ft., you can see everything. I found them fun for a while, but no longer use them due to the stress they put on the drone's motors as well as causing the drone's battery to get too hot too quick. The Large drones like a Mavic 2 or 3 and or Autel EVO 2 can handle one without a problem, but 2 at once is too much weight in my opinion.

You will love the Firehouse lights. I use them myself. The ARC V's are great strobes. Safe Flying.

If you plan to fly more than just occasionally, I would definitely recommend the Fly More combo.

TCS

Same here, 100%, over and over again... The "fly more" is just so much better if not for anything else even JUST the extra batteries (which are pretty expensive by themselves)! Right after I got my mini 2 (fly more), I bought *another* battery - so I could get more flight time per day... I almost think (haven't tried it yet) that having FOUR (4) batteries I *may* be able to start charging the first one after using and discharging it, and by the time I've finished the 4th, the 1st one may already be recharged... I wonder how long I could perpetuate that type of "cycle" or how many batteries it would take to never have to worry about the batteries dying before your fun (or the "job") is done!? I am already a step ahead since I have a 2kw (DC to AC) inverter in (hard-wired to) my car!

I am also at a point where I think I'm going to give the one I have learned on, give it to my GF, and buy two more... One for me, and one for me for "work" (if I do opt to get my 107)...! Then we will also have a combined total of 10 batteries (and 3x three bay chargers)! :O

That's a good reminder about the "nothing to do with monetary gain" which is what so many people, including myself, revert to. I am reminded of an example I read once where if you are using your drone to check out your roof for problems, it requires a Part 107 because it is not purely for fun. I think that is crazy odd. I will never intentionally fly for anything but fun. Strangely, I think, if you fly over your house for fun and by coincidence...see a problem with your roof...you are good to go, just like (or as is my understanding) if you fly over an area and something dramatic happens, you can sell the footage for a big profit and still be within the regs because your intent was just fun. Correct me if I'm wrong. It brings up another question I will post as a separate thread.

That likely has something to do with the fact that I am "brand new" to this "realm" (flying drones), so I have done a metric crap ton of reading... One of the things I recall from the FAA website (pretty much the only thing I read, and can actually trust to NOT provide misinformation), said pretty much just that... Flying for fun is flying for fun, and anything else is p107... The way I read it they really did stress that... I know some of the verbiage does directly mention "non profit" and "monetary gain"; and they "clarify" that monetary gain has nothing to do with the requirement (or lack thereof) of getting your Part 107 license!

I'm sure the "letter of the law" includes not being able to "look at" (gosh forbid they'd call it an inspection) your own roof - "for fun"... But I doubt anyone would waste all the time or effort to get a P107 - JUST to "look at" their own roof... But yes, either way, that's just kind of odd! Even if that is their "intent", it's *highly* unenforceable anyway (which is what would really make it so stupid)... Unless someone bought a drone, and literally ONLY flew it to look at (inspect) their roof, it (FAA) would be HARD pressed to prove you weren't flying "for fun"! Thinking of it, honestly, my first day flying, one of the first things I did was "look at my roof"... I definitely wasn't actually doing an "inspection" but I was just in awe at being able to see *things* from a new perspective that I have never been able to see them before! Now I kinda know how nice it would be to be a bird or otherwise have wings :D (LOL)

My neighbor and I also had a discussion on this whole "recreation VS P107" stuff, and he (older gentleman) asked "so you couldn't check out my roof without that license"? I said that I did think legally it'd be a "no go", "but if you need me to look at your roof I'll call an attorney to see if I could 'argue' that I 'help my neighbors FOR FUN'" We laughed, it was a good time...

But that does beg to question, how much can "either side" "read into this"... I know the FAA pretty much says recreation is JUST "for fun", anything else is P107... But again, what if one of the things I do (do) is help neighbors - for fun!? "FUN" itself IS very subjective - I'm sure someone out there performs maintenance on their house for fun... But then one could argue they do things to make money - for fun LOL

I am not condoning or advocating for anything illegal of course, but I do think maybe the FAA should adjust that "clear line" to be "for monetary gain"... Anything NOT for monetary gain, should be filed under "fun". Anything that will put cash in your pocket, should be P107... If they did that, I think it *would* be more clear, and there'd be less speculation and assuming! I do think as "clear" as the line is; it's still clearly not clear... Since there's so much "wondering" by "us"!

I do think you're right though, it follows logic to me anyway... If you "took off" for fun, and just happened to catch something dramatic - I would think you're still able to do with that footage/pictures as you wish (even sell it)... I could be wrong too, but that's exactly what I am talking about... As "clear" as it is, there is still WAY too much ambiguity !!! All I also remember reading was the "type of flight" is determined at "take off", and CANNOT be changed mid flight... Legally speaking of course... You couldn't take off for fun and then start doing P107 stuff... Likewise you cannot take off for P107 stuff, then "transition" into "fun"... So that would mean the entire flight from take off to landing is either "fun" or "P107"... So if you take off for fun, and happen to catch a bridge collapse or something, darn tootin' I'd "sell" that...! It's not my fault if I just happen to coincidentally catch some P107 "grade" footage on my "for fun" flights!

But I am contemplating getting my P107L anyway! At this point, I am more than interested enough in this as a "hobby' that I plan on learning all the P107 stuff, even if I'm not going to "go for it"... Why? *knowledge is power*!

Reactions: Crow Horse
Greetings from Nevada. I purchased a drone last week as we want to use it to take videos for our online advertising. We run outdoor tours and want to make overhead videos of our tour groups.

Last week I purchased a drone Aovo-W11 from Amazon for $350. Takes great 4k vids and has a cool interface and all that and its easy to fly. Here is my huge gripe: the wifi signal from the drone to my iphone screen that shows the video from the drone sucks distance wise. In wide open space I get maybe 500'. If I go around my house or around a wall the wifi drops to zero. It really sucks.

So my question is with these pricey DJI drones... do they offer better wifi distance? I really don't want to have to be stuck within a few hundred feet of the drone I'm using.

Second gripe that I can sort of live with: battery life. I charge the battery for 6 hours and get 15-20 mins flying time? Is that 'normal' for drones?
Mate, this is a great question. I own parrot, autel, dji and many others. I have flown many drones, by far, DJI surpass the competition in wifi performance, not by a little bit either. DJI is outstanding for wifi performance even on the mini. They cost a lot, but DJI has a great product. You will not disappoint with DJI, I don’t work for them, I just use their products. I’m yet to get the mavic 3, the 2 does way more than what I need, trust me..
WIFI is EPIC

Reactions: Sparc343
Greetings from Nevada. I purchased a drone last week as we want to use it to take videos for our online advertising. We run outdoor tours and want to make overhead videos of our tour groups.

Last week I purchased a drone Aovo-W11 from Amazon for $350. Takes great 4k vids and has a cool interface and all that and its easy to fly. Here is my huge gripe: the wifi signal from the drone to my iphone screen that shows the video from the drone sucks distance wise. In wide open space I get maybe 500'. If I go around my house or around a wall the wifi drops to zero. It really sucks.

So my question is with these pricey DJI drones... do they offer better wifi distance? I really don't want to have to be stuck within a few hundred feet of the drone I'm using.

Second gripe that I can sort of live with: battery life. I charge the battery for 6 hours and get 15-20 mins flying time? Is that 'normal' for drones?
A $350 drone is likely not going to get you great results and also not likely to be able to use programmed flights. If you are serious about drone video I'd spring for a good drone with crash sensors and flight path programming ability. The 15-20 minute battery life is about normal. I fly a DJI Mavic 2 Pro witch has a Hasselblad camera and takes amazing video. A main feature is the ability to program a flight path before you actually fly it (I use the Litchi App) based on a GPS map on your controller and seen on your cellular enabled display. This is huge because by programming your flight path you also can program the flight characteristics like speed, turns, altitude, camera angle, etc. This allows you to fine tune a flight that gives you the best video results. Also just a hint make slow even turns to reduce "judder" in you video. That's the annoying jerky motion you see usually worse during turns. Have Fun

He ran at the mention of Part 107…
Another “I got this for Christmas” post…
It makes me nervous, that he’s going to use a $300 drone, to buzz over the heads of his customers.
I hope nobody gets hurt, because if they do, there will be yet another negative story against drone flying…

I do love the awesome answers he got, hopefully he’ll read them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143