DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie intro

dronerdave

Reactions
Hi everybody. I’m glad I found this forum. Truly a wealth of information here and it has helped me to take the plunge ($$$) into this hobby. I just bought a Mavic and am enjoying as much fly time as possible in the Central California area. Prior to a couple of months back, I’d never seen one close up much less fly. Then a buddy let me fly his Phantom-3 and I was hooked. I try to fly in backcountry areas as a rule and enjoy photographing nature shots. I have the MAXX Mod kit and also a Titan Atlas for forest regions. I’m still a total noob though and I hope a few of you can set me straight if (when) issues pop up. I’ve only logged a few hours (probably less than 20) and although I haven’t crashed it yet, I’ve had some close calls. I know it a user thing. I’ve done most of my flying over rivers and lakes but have a few spots on private property for sunrise and sunset that are worth experimenting with. At this point in time I’m a little apprehensive about crashing, and seeing several posts about those who have lost their aircraft makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I’m trying to get out in the autumn weather as much as possible. Just hope I don’t pull a bonehead move over rough terrain or water. I’ve already been so lucky to have a small plane come flying at about 100 feet off the water right where I was at. My Mavic looked like a dot against that plane as it flew by and I barely was able to get out of the way. Disturbing to say the least. Not too sure about aircraft rules but the pilot was about 100 yards away before I realized. Wonder if I need a few strobe lights? Obviously they didn’t see the big orange circle with the H on it…

My search tactics aren’t the best and I’m learning how to manage this site so sorry if I ask some stupid questions along the way.

Thanks for all your help folks!

Dave.

Reactions: Dedal and dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Thanks. I still don't know what's considered a good pic but I'm still learning. Next step is to research editing software I guess. A couple pics of the area I'm in:DJI_0201PH.jpg DJI_0092PH.jpg DJI_0138.JPG DJI_0164.JPG DJI_0197PH.jpg

:) Welcome man, I’m from South Wales in the UK, only had mine 3 weeks but loving it so far.

Cool pics too Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hi everybody. I’m glad I found this forum. Truly a wealth of information here and it has helped me to take the plunge ($$$) into this hobby. I just bought a Mavic and am enjoying as much fly time as possible in the Central California area. Prior to a couple of months back, I’d never seen one close up much less fly. Then a buddy let me fly his Phantom-3 and I was hooked. I try to fly in backcountry areas as a rule and enjoy photographing nature shots. I have the MAXX Mod kit and also a Titan Atlas for forest regions. I’m still a total noob though and I hope a few of you can set me straight if (when) issues pop up. I’ve only logged a few hours (probably less than 20) and although I haven’t crashed it yet, I’ve had some close calls. I know it a user thing. I’ve done most of my flying over rivers and lakes but have a few spots on private property for sunrise and sunset that are worth experimenting with. At this point in time I’m a little apprehensive about crashing, and seeing several posts about those who have lost their aircraft makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I’m trying to get out in the autumn weather as much as possible. Just hope I don’t pull a bonehead move over rough terrain or water. I’ve already been so lucky to have a small plane come flying at about 100 feet off the water right where I was at. My Mavic looked like a dot against that plane as it flew by and I barely was able to get out of the way. Disturbing to say the least. Not too sure about aircraft rules but the pilot was about 100 yards away before I realized. Wonder if I need a few strobe lights? Obviously they didn’t see the big orange circle with the H on it…

My search tactics aren’t the best and I’m learning how to manage this site so sorry if I ask some stupid questions along the way.

Thanks for all your help folks!

Dave.
Howdy from Wyoming dronerdave, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

It's been an interesting how things have gone since I joined. Other than just flying, this forum opened my eyes about understanding airspace and FAA rules. I'm still surprised how many fixed wing fliers (in my RC clubs) don't know about airspace, sectionals, TFR's and such. Can't say enough about this forum.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pingaddict