DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEWBIE NEAR MISS

TimO

Reactions
So I showed just how green I was yesterday - in the midst of showing family and friends how stable and smooth the Mavic can fly, I took off in the living room of my wife's Uncle's house. Oh yeah everyone was impressed with how freakishly and creepily stable the MP can fly in tripod mode through the tight interior quarters of a house. THEN - my greenhorn pilot status showed brightly through my newbie self when I said "I'll return to to home" and then we can take it outside and kick it into Sport mode. Most all MP and even DJI Drone Pilots alike are now saying in there heads 1 of two things (maybe 3).

1) why would you do return to home indoors
2) I hope your auto return height is set to 6 ft
3) your wife's uncle better have 35 ft ceilings

So yeah - I had a very ignorant and reckless moment

The MP began a accent that began a interior ping pong scene starting with a rotor kissing the lamp cover of the ceiling fan, then off kilter towards the wall, violently slanting up and unstable to the ceiling and bouncing back to the couch where it then moved back to an uncontrolled sideways jaunt to the wall again, then back to the ceiling before resting on the floor.

I was horrified to say the least with racing thoughts of "I killed her" - "what have I done" - " why did I freeze and not grab it before it hit the ceiling" - "why didn't I CANCEL RETURN TO HOME" - "WHY DIDN'T I PRESS DOWN". So many thoughts, many with entirely better options than what happened.

I was certain the I killed my "Spectre Funship" (<-- my MP's device name)

Luckily... no damage whatsoever, at least that I can tell this far. Only some paint scuff in one or two of the propeller blades. From all the horror stories I read, I count myself entirely fortunate that I came out of such a mental lapse and reckless nightmare with no problems, damage or issues.

Went outside afterwards and flew in sport mode and then did a Hangar 360 shot of the neighborhood.
Everything checked out fine and all is well.

Needless to say, I am grateful for the experience because I'm way more attentive and responsible with my flight and control now - we learn from our mistakes and I was very lucky.

Reactions: charliesRig
Glad to see that you hit on everything you did wrong...

Yeah I feel stupid and sick about the whole thing and I'm not ashamed to admit fault and error - AND more so I feel learning from mistakes is invaluable. Yet I am still open to assessment from others to give me further advice/instruction/insight.

Reactions: pbzpln
Don't feel too bad. You are not the first to make this mistake, neither will you be the last.

I'm hoping my post will help reduce the number of occurrences - as if the manual and instructions weren't enough, lol

Appreciate you posting this story. FedEx is due to drop mine off any minute and I know I will have one of those moments. Hopefully I do not repeat this exact one. :)

I'm hoping my post will help reduce the number of occurrences - as if the manual and instructions weren't enough, lol
Flying indoors is kind of risky at best of times and if things go wrong they can go very wrong.
if flying indoors beginner and/or tripod mode would probably be good ideas, but you are still taking considerable risk even with these precautions.

Solid Burn "Top Hat" - lol

BTW - I am not going to defend myself; it was an ignorant action - I totally deserve the burn.
That's how we learn, from our mistakes. Be safe and happy flying,.

Reactions: wytnyt
Years ago during a visit to my folks I took my dad to a field to show him how well I fly my parkzone corsair. Launched it went up and over and smashed into the ground. The ailerons were not plugged in right. Funny enough last year my dad came to watch me skydiving too. I had a toggle come off after opening. I landed safe but buffed it in as I was steering and braking with the rear risers.

LoL! Don't feel bad. I launched mine in my kitchen for the first time. I thought I read enough and watched plenty of "how to's". I was wrong. I launched it and then realized how many objects were in the way. I told my daughter to get behind me and if it comes our way to run because she has nice long hair. Luckily only my trash can took a hit. After 10mins of frantically flipping through some more videos on my iPad I was able to land it. Lesson learned. Practice lots outdoors and then MAYBE bring her indoors at some point.

LoL! Don't feel bad. I launched mine in my kitchen for the first time. I thought I read enough and watched plenty of "how to's". I was wrong. I launched it and then realized how many objects were in the way. I told my daughter to get behind me and if it comes our way to run because she has nice long hair. Luckily only my trash can took a hit. After 10mins of frantically flipping through some more videos on my iPad I was able to land it. Lesson learned. Practice lots outdoors and then MAYBE bring her indoors at some point.
At least you didn't RTH.

Haha **** you must have looked even more stupit than you have felt? I thank god for being alone when trying my mav for the first time (the bastards delivered it on a almost skyfall level of rainy day.... (Thats nothing but evil to do that) so I had to try, ended up cutting my face pretty nicely, not deep cuts at all but I looked like an Irish bloke for few days with quite stupit (some even not fully true) explanations of what happened.

So what happened?
I pushed a wrong stick, and to make grey totally black, the mavics controls come by default more than 200%?more responsive that adjustments I'm used to on my old phantom.....
This wouldn't have been so embarrassing if my stick move wouldn't have been in the same direction as my face...[emoji23]

It's stories like this one I just told that makes me think it's perfectly ok for me to call you guys stupit Af.... I would think twice if I wouldn't have shown repeatedly similar, or even lower levels of brain activity myself. [emoji23]

LOL I did the same thing but outside right under a tree in my backyard weii four trees it seemed like it hit every branch on all four trees, hit my neighbors shed our fence then did a nose dive into the yard.
I was sick, mad, then the Mrs. looks at me and has to say what are you doing?
Luck enough the only damage was three blades needed replaced.
Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe153