DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEWBIE NEAR MISS

I once had mine idling on the coffee table next to me and turned the radio off..It shot straight up toward the ceiling, I grabbed the back leg and held it as it screamed to let it go. I turned the radio back on and shut it down. I was by myself and was so embarrassed. Hahaha! It was loud as hell!

well you were a Hit with the family and most of the house.......Thanks for sharing.......C

well you were a Hit with the family and most of the house.......Thanks for sharing.......C

Yeah - it only gets better from there. Buying the Mavic Pro was the best purchase I've ever made. It researched extensively for months before making the purchase. Only other drone I think I'll ever buy would be a newer version of the MP.

Mine was not "RTH" because of the button, but I did not have the forethought to change the RC disconnect setting off of RTH so I know just what sounds you heard as the Mavic "thinks" it will gain some "altitude" with a "low ceiling"!!! (Change it to anything but RTH!!!)

Nice not to be "alone" right?

Most disasters happen after the words, "Hey Guy's Watch This"!:eek: Glad your MP was alright after the event!

Mine was not "RTH" because of the button, but I did not have the forethought to change the RC disconnect setting off of RTH so I know just what sounds you heard as the Mavic "thinks" it will gain some "altitude" with a "low ceiling"!!! (Change it to anything but RTH!!!)

Nice not to be "alone" right?

At least we learn for it...

I once had mine idling on the coffee table next to me and turned the radio off..It shot straight up toward the ceiling, I grabbed the back leg and held it as it screamed to let it go. I turned the radio back on and shut it down. I was by myself and was so embarrassed. Hahaha! It was loud as ****!

Mastering the art of grabbing the Mavic out of the air is touchy and temperamental at first, but eventually you get he hang of it.

At least you had the balls to admit what happened and have a good enough sense of humor to share. Seriously though, you gotta be careful. Not just of the mavic, but of your family and their belongings too. It could've ended a lot worse. It's really important that you know how the Mavic will react in different scenarios.

I heard of a case just recently that someone had forgotten or didn't know that the Mavic ascends to a certain height before returning to home. He had expected it to descend, but instead it shoots up (to the pre programmed altitude) and on it's way up, high power lines. In a panic, he didn't know how to cancel it.

It's crucial to know how the mavic will react in all conditions. Seriously. Like if it runs out of use at 5% and it can't make it back, will it land softly, drop out of the sky? If you don't know these answers, you really gotta look it up or try it before it happens to you and you find yourself in a @#$23 situation.

I am a newbie as well and your story made me laugh so hard. I was out on our covered porch with family and thought I'd show off my new skills... Well I was bringing it in under the eve for a palm landing, while my friend was saying "I wouldn't do that". While having it hover over my hand, a slight wind blew and I panicked. Went up on the joystick rather than down all while in sport mode. It went up hit the cross beams on the patio eve, falling down I tried to catch it and propeller caught my finger. OUCH!!! The only damage was to my pride. I loved the ping pong affect that yours did, I can imagine the horror.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes