DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Question (or Worry)

dig81

Reactions
I'll keep it simple. I read all about flying indoors and equipment like propeller guards, settings, etc - so I assume this was just pilot error and part of the learning curve.

With the Mini 2 hovering (that's all I was doing and moving about a few feet here and there) I decided I had enough and was a bit nervous about how responsive it was to controller and it got too close to the wall. I commenced landing and it was having trouble locating a suitable spot, so I tried to hand land it, no dice, so I grabbed it and it tried to go higher (duhhh ceiling above) so I held it... the motors increased speed for about 5 seconds and when it couldn't go anywhere it just cut the motors off. And I had it in my hand.

So, despite all that I did wrong (and learned from it) --- do I have reason for concern with respect to that noise it made while being prevented from flying away?

I'm probably just being incredibly paranoid and this is no doubt part of learning.

I'll keep it simple. I read all about flying indoors and equipment like propeller guards, settings, etc - so I assume this was just pilot error and part of the learning curve.

With the Mini 2 hovering (that's all I was doing and moving about a few feet here and there) I decided I had enough and was a bit nervous about how responsive it was to controller and it got too close to the wall. I commenced landing and it was having trouble locating a suitable spot, so I tried to hand land it, no dice, so I grabbed it and it tried to go higher (duhhh ceiling above) so I held it... the motors increased speed for about 5 seconds and when it couldn't go anywhere it just cut the motors off. And I had it in my hand.

So, despite all that I did wrong (and learned from it) --- do I have reason for concern with respect to that noise it made while being prevented from flying away?

I'm probably just being incredibly paranoid and this is no doubt part of learning.
If you try to push/pull your drone, it's going to fight to hold position.
It sounds like that's all you observed.
Flying indoors brings extra complications and it's not a good idea for a new flyer.
Do your early flying in a large, open area well away from trees and obstacles and where it can receive GPS satellite signals properly.

When you put your hand under it the sensors detected them and saw them as the ground. This in turn told the drone it needed to go higher, so best to not do that. Also, best not to learn to fly indoors.

Without a gps signal, flight stability indoors is enhanced when the vision systems can work, make sure the room is as bright as possible by turning on all the lights and opening the windows.

It had trouble landing because it could not see the ground properly as there was not enough light.

If you've got a hold of the drone and want it to stop quickly then just grasp it firmly and turn it upside down - the motors will stop very quickly. The aircraft senses it is turning upside down and (in case it has crashed) it cuts the motors to prevent damage.

I was going to suggest the grab and twist but it has been covered. For the OP I would suggest it be regarded as an emergency only measure.

I sometimes use the drone-will-attempt-to-hold-its-position thing when hand launching. Once the motors are started moving your hand up and down will cause it and if done correctly the drone will fly off your hand. Occasionally there is an initial drift of maybe 1m (normally forwards and or to the right in my case) so not for confined spaces.

When hand landing bring the drone down over your hand, as the sensors register your hand the drone may momentarily halt and maybe climb slightly but it should then start descending again. Once on your hand keep the throttle closed until the motors stop.
KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY from the props

Last edited by a moderator:
@dig81 something that many people forget when flying indoors is the fact that the drone will drift ,due to the fact that the downdraft from the props will cause a lot of random air movement ,as it bounces off the surrounding walls and objects in the area ,this is even more of an issue ,when the drone is flying in atti mode, because of the lack of sats locked ,even a small drone such as the Mini2 moves a lot of air under its props

In addition to what @old man mavic mentions, I have found flying indoors with my mavic mini, that the GPS jumps between having enough satellites to lock the position then goes into TRUE ATTI MODE when it looses the lock. The mini reacts differently as it looses and regains lock. I think I read that GPS and the Vision Position Sensors (VPS) work together and vary which one is dominant in holding the mini's position as circumstances change.

For a hoot, I put my prop cage on and fly inside my house and navigate down the stairs into and around my basement. With Litchi I can put my phone into some cheap goggles and fly FPV. If the light get too dim it looses the VPS and drifts, if it looses and regains GPS lock it gets a little screwy. Have to really pay attention especially if you don't have the cage on. As I've mentioned before, in Litchi you can turn VPS and/or Landing sensors on/off. Wish you could also have the option to turn on/off GPS.

Looks like everything has been covered about flying indoors. Not a good idea if you do not know how the drone is reacting indoors. Practice, and more practice.

Reactions: dig81 and netsonic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada