DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Question - weird issue with stability

oirvine

Reactions
I picked up a used Air with 2 charges on the battery. The flight logs showed only a couple of flights on the Air. I'm running the latest app on my iphone and latest firmware on the drone.

I have had a couple issue with it inside. It will hover for a bit but will slowly start drifting "back". On one of the flights, I had to give full stick forward and that just keep it in the same spot, to be able to land. You can see this in this log at about 55 seconds. DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The room is a bit dark and the carpet doesn't have a lot of detail so I can see why it is having a bit of time holding but the forward stick to keep it in the same spot is a bit of a concern

Outside it seems fine but on one flight I had a weird issue. After doing a 360 panorama, the horizon was slanted. It stayed like that for a bit, I gain a bit of altitude and all of a sudden the camera or drone snapped to the left. After that it was level. You can see that in this video at around 48s
I recall the motors doing a quick "blip" at the same time.

The log from the flight is here DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I have not tried to recalibrate anything, aside from the compass.

Any thoughts would be great.

Last edited:
Personally I would re-calibrate everything after doing a factory reset (if that's possible).

So IMU Calibration
Sensor Calibration
Compass Calibration

Then on your next flight fire it up somewhere safe and with no wind, then just take off a little and let go of the sticks. I would do this indoors if you are a confident pilot and see if the AC holds steady.

Only then would I fly normally depending on how well the first hover and hold flight test goes.

Good luck getting it sorted.
Pz

Edit: Sorry I thought this was a Mavic 2 question. I don't know if the Mavic Air has Sensors!

Reactions: mereflyer
I have had a couple issue with it inside. It will hover for a bit but will slowly start drifting "back". On one of the flights, I had to give full stick forward and that just keep it in the same spot, to be able to land. You can see this in this log at about 55 seconds. DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
That sounds like Obstacle Avoidance but we can't confirm since the .txt flight record doesn't include that data.
If it's working fine outdoors, it sounds like it's just fine.

As stated all over this forum, these REALLY don't like flying indoors, especially in dim small rooms. I believe they get conflicting signals from obstacle avoidance sensors, have no or inadequate GPS signal............basically it can't tell where it is in reference to its surroundings. You holding full forward to maintain position is you fighting its confused sensors. If you really want to fly indoors, disable all sensors and GPS, unless you can get 12 or so sats to lock on, then you should be able to control the flight...........but then you must really fly it, it won't avoid anything, won't hold a position.......you have to really fly it. Not sure what your one blip outside could be, try the options above and let us know.

Reactions: bronze661
Thanks for the reply. I did an IMU calibrate and tried again. But I was in a much larger room with better lighting. My Air hovered well until I got bored, about 2 minutes. I moved it around a bit and it was good. I flew it towards me and once it got to within 2 metres it did it's weird motor blipping thing and stopped. I moved it back a bit and tried again and did the same thing. So I think it is clear the issues I was having was with the obstacle avoidance system, bad lighting and me not understanding how the system works.

I'm going to put the outside issues had into the "little glitch" bucket with a bit of "maybe it was a windy" file.

Thanks again

As stated all over this forum, these REALLY don't like flying indoors, especially in dim small rooms. I believe they get conflicting signals from obstacle avoidance sensors, have no or inadequate GPS signal............basically it can't tell where it is in reference to its surroundings. You holding full forward to maintain position is you fighting its confused sensors. If you really want to fly indoors, disable all sensors and GPS, unless you can get 12 or so sats to lock on, then you should be able to control the flight...........but then you must really fly it, it won't avoid anything, won't hold a position.......you have to really fly it. Not sure what your one blip outside could be, try the options above and let us know.
Good advice here... I'm a pretty new pilot, but have noticed that when flying indoors I have to deactivate all obstacle avoidance, good lighting, and rely on OPTI for position holding... or turn it all off and go manual.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2p123