DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question

Elgreco3

Reactions
Hi guys. Pardon the questions as I am fairly new to drones.
I am learning new stuff as I go and thinking of getting a zoom with a SC.
I only have a mini for a couple of weeks and that's all I know.
So the zoom and SC use a different software i gather than the mini? G04 or something?

And litchi is a third party software for controlling the drone but rather more advanced?

What do people then end up running mostly?
Native software or upgrading to a litchi or something and is that worth it?

Thanks for any replies as I am trying to figure out most of the stuff before I make the move.

All I know is I definitely prefer a dedicated remote rather than using a phone or tablet. Too many thing to carry around.

Go4 is a different program and probably over all supports more features that the Zoom provides. Litchi is for flying pre-planned missions. You can set a course to fly from a to b and then to c, d, e, f, etc including altitude (and speed?). I've not used it. Actually the Go4 app also supports missions but as an easily, I believe. I think most people probably use the DJI software with Litchi for more advanced planning and possibly more advanced users.

The SC definitely simplies things and using the mini is like taking a step back in time and complications. As well as the fact that the SC is really nice in bright sun and my phone is NOT.

Just keep in mind the SC has its limitations in sunlight - it's not a miracle solution. Is it better than most phones?....well yes, because the SC has a fan and can maintain its 1000nits whereas most phones can't. However, even with a a matte screen protector (anti glare) on my SC it struggles in direct sun. Yes, its better than a phone, but without a hood on the SC it still has significant limitations in direct sun. This is probably why there is such a thing as an ultra crystalsky. However, please don't misunderstand what i'm saying - the SC is good but it concerns me that many people tend to make out it fixes flying in direct sunlight....that in my view is not accurate. If you go into the purchase of a SC with reasonable expectations of how it performs you will be much happier with the purchase.

Reactions: Venomvip
Yeh, I've read about the LifTthor it looks neat. I actually do something sort of similar and use the USBC connection on the SC and fly with Moverio BT35e giving full HD right in from of your eyes. There are no glare issues with that system either. Just on the LifThor is it just a reflected image of what's on the SC or could you have say telemetry on the SC and live video on the LifThor (like in the picture in the link - but they have a split screen on the SC)?

you can have just the camera view if you choose to, with nothing on it except the view, no telemetry nothing. its not a split screen it a menu

I realise it's a menu but my point was once you access the "menu" the screen splits on the SC. I could see though on the LifThor a clean FPV image. Good system, but I guess some will say it's a bit strange to buy a SC then to add a bulky screen to it. I guess others will like the 2200 nits and the screen sitting above the controller. Each to their own i guess.

Last edited:
To say that Litchi is just another Control App that also does Waypoint missions is like saying Salma Hayek is just another woman. I have only been flying drones since the first part of February. One thing that I did to help me get through this "Shelter in Place" or what other name your surprise Jail Sentence has been called, is that I enrolled in Phantom Filmschool. One of the most amazing things that I have learned is that Litchi has many astounding capabilities that will open up a new world if you are interested in Photography & Videography. Litchi has an amazing array of features and capabilities. I will never own a drone that will not run Litchi. I also have to give a Thumbswayup to Laurence Seberini of Phantom Filmschool. If I can retain a quarter of what has been presented to me, it will be a great thing.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdjtutt