DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

newbie questions

mreco99

Reactions
UPDATE:
Lots of views, big thanks for the time you took to give them.

Original Post:
A few questions if anyone got time to answer.

1. How real and how likely is a 'fly away'? Has it happened to you? what happened?
2. Is the DJI Care worth doing? im thinking year 1 at least gotta be a good idea? (I will have insurance)
3. Can I practise in my garden, at least hoover 5 ft, turn a bit, move the camera etc? got about 15m x 15m of grass.
4. I think the in the manual it said indoors and outdoors. Indoors really!!!???
5. Basically nearly anywhere you fly your going over someone else's land, farmland, field, whatever, has it ever come down on someone else's land and you couldn't (or daren't) go get it back?
6. Any idea of a recommended good or safe distance above live stock if you fly over, so they dont notice it, and scatter or get scared?
7. im using UAV forecast. I think max wind speed is 22mph (and I can see wind speeds at different heights). whats it like at 22mph to fly? does it feel ok, or very iffy?
8. what is a good safe distance horizontally to keep within, purely for signal reasons, not VLOS and all that.

I should have started a new thread, in fact I just have, your reading it.

soo many questions. thanks for your input.... its coming tomorrow !!!

Last edited:
Considering the number of drones that are flying, the # of actual Fly-aways is probably low. The chances are better that you'd potentially crash into some object then actually fly away.

DJI Care does protect you if you have a problem, whether it's worth it may depend on how often you fly and how carefully you try and fly.

Practice flights might be better if you have a wide open public space near you that you can practice in to get familiar with the controls and landings, take off's, using the controls for the videos, and pics, and other functions, etc.

Generally the skies are controlled by whatever govt entity in your country, though localities can perhaps have their own rules where you can fly. If you crash somewhere that would require you to go on private property to recover, you'd probably want to try and let whoever know... it may depend perhaps on what the land is, how near it is to someone's occupied home or office, etc. If you can avoid flying near animals, that would probably be best.

UAV forecast is fine, if you're flying in high winds, the controller will tell you if it's too windy to fly safely, however that is up to you if you think you can manage the flight in those winds. Each Drone has its max wind limit in the specs.. 22-23 is probably the highest you might try and fly, but its up to you again.

VLOS determines how far you should fly, not signal. If you fly within VLOS you should never have to worry about signal strength.

my two cents, opinions will vary.

I answered this in your other thread.

Remember that even though the Mini 4 is under 250g, you still have to apply for an operator ID.

1) It happens. It's never happened to me.
2) I've recently bought a Mini Pro 4 and put the two years care on it. To me, it made sense.
3) Yes, absolutely. My garden is 10m x 25m and I've done just that. Be careful of washing lines and other obstacles.
4) Yes, it can be flown indoors. It's not something I'd be comfortable doing.
5) Never happened to me.
6) Good question and there's probably not a single answer. High enough not to bother them.
7) Be very careful in wind, it can be stronger than you think. I've seen videos of the Mini 4 flown in winds much higher than 22mph and the image is nice and stable but the drone really is getting blown all over the place. Remember if you fly away with the wind behind the drone that you've got to bring it back into the wind and it'll fly a lot slower.

Good luck!

Reactions: mreco99
Welcome to the Forum!

1. Hasn’t happened in 5 yrs of flying. It does happen (lots on YouTube) but generally functions of flying beyond VLOS, not paying attention to the area, winds and battery level or flying outside the aircrafts manufacture’s stated limits. I have had random signal loss but always recovered quickly.
  2. I have used the DJI care on my first drone (thin tree branches are not your drone’s friend, nor is ice) and would recommend it to new pilots. Service was great.
  3. Yes, subject to any flying restrictions in your area (pilots responsibility to know). I would have a landing pad - either buy one or use cardboard. It keeps the props away from the grass and stuff flying up when close to landing or taking off. You can also practice hand launch and landing once you are comfortable with the controls and aircraft behaviour near objects. It is a higher risk maneuver so be very comfortable with sticks and your coordination before doing this. Even little props can cut you!
  4. Indoors - yes, be aware of drafts and buy prop guards! No GPS inside if in a larger area like a warehouse. I’ve flown around the house, up stairs, into rooms and back, without issue but also ran into walls from a draft from an opening door and was glad the prop guards also cushion the fall.
  5. It does happen. Best to find a place you can fly over public land. People are not always friendly to drones (“Just flying, not spying” comes to mind) and usually they come to you curious and friendly or angry and confrontational - few in between the extremes. You can recover the drone through police intervention as it is your property however avoid the hassle. Water is good area to practice as you have no trees, obstacles and clear signals but pay attention to wind direction (fly out into the wind so you can return with the wind) and battery levels over water as you have no where to land safely over water.
  6. Stay away from other people’s animals as a courtesy. If you want video, you can always approach the owner if known and ask. Same with land. Or keep 100 meters away min.
  7. Windy is a good app that is free and has wind directions too. The Mini is a powerhouse but light so gusts can take it off course and drain the battery faster. Best to practice in lower winds and build your comfort. Once you are comfortable, you will start to naturally push the aircraft and will see where the limit is. It may fly fine but if it is above the stated rating, remember the rating of the aircraft is the safe limit for the prudent pilot. Same goes with temperature - some are rated for 0C and others -10C. They will operate outside this and if you fly outside the ratings, you cannot blame the aircraft for any accidents (be safe!).
  8. Depends on area. With a grey mini, in VLOS, you will lose sight of the aircraft before you lose signal unless in congested urban area where signals bounce around more. You can add a strobe light to the Mini, just remember that it will take over the 250g limits we love about the mini and may require licensing, registration, etc. depending on laws in that location. With a good strobe (Firehouse ARC 5), you have clear VLOS for >2km over water staying under 400 ft. There are things the affect signals too - other radio signals that create “signal noise”, power lines, land layouts, atmosphere conditions, etc.
Other: Watch a couple YouTube videos for beginners and get the tips for aerial photography and flight safety. On start up, i hover just above my head for 1 minute - it helps with stable flight and you will (hopefully) see any issues before the flight proper. Set the obstacle avoidance and return to home during this hover time - depending on your planned flight, these do change. Make sure the return to home point is updated before you leave the hover.

You will feel nervous while flying - natural for all of us. Take your time in the yard and practice from taking the drone out of the bag, safety checks and flight to putting it back in the bag. Once you have done that a few times, it will be easier when in public and have people distracting you - talking to you while you set up or flying!

Happy Flying!

Last edited:
Hello mreco99.

First, it may not matter, but I clicked on your location in the avatar box and Google maps took me to Norfolk, VA, USA.

Your signature states you are based in the UK.

Anyway...

I've been flying since 2017 with the DJI SPARK and currently flying a Mavic Air 2.

1. How real and how likely is a 'fly away'? Has it happened to you? what happened?

Never happened to me (yet).

* Make sure the Home Point has been established before launch.

* If your aircraft loses GPS stability, you will be flying in "Atti-Mode" and drift with the wind at the same altitude unless you change it via the joysticks.

You still have control manually but you have to fly it by concentrating on the aircraft and your stick movements to counter the wind drift.

2. Is the DJI Care worth doing? im thinking year 1 at least gotta be a good idea? (I will have insurance)

I purchased a two year plan for the SPARK & MA2, but never used it.

3. Can I practise in my garden, at least hoover 5 ft, turn a bit, move the camera etc? got about 15m x 15m of grass.

I can't answer that one. Check local regulations.

Yes, really. Although, be mindful of the prop wash as it may suck your aircraft into a wall or up to the ceiling if not paying attention.

The aircraft may not have GPS reception indoors and will rely on the VPS to help it fly.

Insure the rooms are well lit to help the VPS.

Prop guards are recommended if available.

5. Basically nearly anywhere you fly your going over someone else's land, farmland, field, whatever, has it ever come down on someone else's land and you couldn't (or daren't) go get it back?

If you retrieve it yourself without permission, you'll be trespassing on the property.

Ask the land owner for permission to get it by you or the owner.

If they refuse and keep it, that's theft of your property by the land owner and a can of worms opens up when the authorities are involved.

6. Any idea of a recommended good or safe distance above live stock if you fly over, so they dont notice it, and scatter or get scared?

I wouldn't know. Never did it.

7. im using UAV forecast. I think max wind speed is 22mph (and I can see wind speeds at different heights). whats it like at 22mph to fly? does it feel ok, or very iffy?

I'll let a Mini pilot answer this one.

8. what is a good safe distance horizontally to keep within, purely for signal reasons, not VLOS and all that.

Check your manual for proper antenna position / direction in relation to the the aircraft.

Well, that does it for me now.

Have fun with your new Mini after reading the manual a few times and understand how the RTH functions work with your aircraft.

Good luck. :)

It doesn't happen ... there's no such thing.
But drone flyers who manage to lose their drone without understanding why, might say their drone flew away.
Not if you are a careful flyer.
Not really.
You need a large, open area, well clear of trees, buildings and other obstacles.
When there's nothing to hit, it's hard to get into trouble.
Flying close to obstacles is asking for trouble.
No .. flying indoors introduces issues you'll never encounter outdoors and requires more experience.
Don't bother.
It's not a hot air balloon that drifts with the wind.
You have full control and your drone will land where you land it.

UAV forecast is just a forecast.
Actual wind levels where you want to fly could be significant more or less for many reasons.
There is no "max wind speed" specified.
DJI confuses people with what they call Max Wind Resistance.
Your drone should easily manage in 22 mph winds.
But what you do with it can make a big difference.
How far you fly and the direction of the wind are very important.
Take it easy and get a feel for how your drone copes with wind before getting too adventurous.

In a good, interference-free area your drone should maintain signal for more kilometres than you would be comfortable flying.
In urban areas with interference, the distance could be much less.

Is the DJI Care worth doing?
Not in my mind. If you follow the information available in the manual and read what’s available here, and find some open space for practice purposes, you should be able to retain possession of the new camera.

1. In almost all cases (>95%) that I've read about on this forum, the pilot was responsible for the loss of the drone.

2. Compare the cost of a Care Refresh replacement (basic fee + fee for the replacement + shipping) to the cost of replacing the drone only. (Don't use the full purchase price; you still have the controller and everything else.)

3. Yes. Turn on Obstacle Avoidance, set to hover rather than bypass. That's plenty of room to learn basic maneuvers and camera use.

4. Avoid indoor flying as a new pilot. It's much more difficult than flying outdoors. There's little margin for error and lots of things to damage.

5. No. It's probably a good idea not to fly over places where you wouldn't consider a recovery attempt.

6. Cattle don't seem to be twitchy about drones. Some people have reported issues with horses.

7. Don't rely too heavily on what an app says. Learn to judge wind speeds where you're flying and use your first-hand, on-location wisdom. As a beginner, it would be wise to look for days with light winds, say <12 mph. The drone can handle 22 mph wind, but I'd need a good reason to fly.

8. When you're learning and for the first few dozen hours, if you can't see it, you've definitely gone too far.

Enjoy the new drone. Take it slow. For the first month, spend more time reading the manual, watching good instructional videos, and familiarizing yourself with the operation of the drone than flying the drone.

Have fun.

I would say drones are primarily lost to
a) magnetic interference at boot screwing up the drone's sense of heading, that may not be the correct description but I think it's the practical interpretation unless you really delve deeply into the problem.
b) Wind and not knowing how to deal with it, i.e. get the drone down low where the wind is generally slower and do not fly the out bound leg to distance DOWN WIND. Unnecessarily high RTH heights risk putting the drone up into wind.

Care refresh ? I bought one and got one with a second hand drone, I did not use either. That said I don't know how the cost of replacing a drone via care refresh compares with the cost of purchasing a new drone-only drone.

Indoor flights should be possible in well lit rooms with clear and distinct floor patterns, so that the VPS can lock ontothe pattern, dark rooms and monotone flooring is likely to result in tears.

5) If you need to do that ask permission before you enter the land.
6) No idea but I wouldn't be flying near live stock in the first place.
7) If you think the conditions are questionable don't fly, I have had a gust take a Phantom 3 and there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it. I got the drone back because the gust died. I have also had gusts take a Mavic Mini and perhaps a mini 2 but I got those back by descending and switching to sports mode plus probably the gusts dying a bit.
8) control range varies from place to place, I've seen a CE spec Mavic mini reach more than 2 km yet lose connection elsewhere at 300m.

Last edited:
I would say drones are primarily lost to
a) magnetic interference at boot screwing up the drone's sense of heading, that may not be the correct description but I think its the practical interpretation unless you really delve deeply into the problem.
b) Wind and not knowing how to deal with it, i.e. get the drone down low where the wind is generally slower and do not fly the out bound leg to distance DOWN WIND. Unnecessarily high RTH heights risk putting the drone up into wind.

Care refresh ? I bought one and got one with a second hand drone, I did not use either. That said I don't know how the cost of replacing a drone via care refresh compares with the cost of purchasing a new drone-only drone.

Indoor flights should be possible in well lit rooms with clear and distinct floor patterns, so that the VPS can lock ontothe pattern, dark rooms and monotone flooring is likely to result in tears.

5) If you need to do that ask permission before you enter the land.
6) No idea but I wouldn't be flying near live stock in the first place.
7) If you think the conditions are questionable don't fly, I have had a gust take a Phantom 3 and there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it. I got the drone back because the gust died. I have also had gusts take a Mavic Mini and perhaps a mini 2 but I got those back by descending and switching to sports mode plus probably the gusts dying a bit.
8) control range varies from place to place, I've seen a CE spec Mavic mini reach more than 2 km yet lose connection elsewhere at 300m.
The only thing I could add is:
With indoor flight - buy a set of propguards. Your drone will be in ATTI mode (no GPS) which means it will drift after you release the control stick, also, the O/A response to potential obstructions will cause the drone to jerk away automatically... add this to ATTI mode and you have a potential recipe for disaster.
Quite a few people will voice the attitude that you should "...learn to fly your drone properly..." but I'd argue from experience that internal shoots and propguards should go hand-in-hand, if you don't like the idea of paying damages for what your drone has clipped, or you'd like to still have a flying drone to take to the next location.

The only thing I could add is:
With indoor flight - buy a set of propguards. Your drone will be in ATTI mode (no GPS) which means it will drift after you release the control stick, also, the O/A response to potential obstructions will cause the drone to jerk away automatically... add this to ATTI mode and you have a potential recipe for disaster.
Quite a few people will voice the attitude that you should "...learn to fly your drone properly..." but I'd argue from experience that internal shoots and propguards should go hand-in-hand, if you don't like the idea of paying damages for what your drone has clipped, or you'd like to still have a flying drone to take to the next location.
It will only be in ATTI mode if the room is too dark for the VPS sensors to work and/or possibly if the floor pattern is inappropriate. It's in some other flight mode if the VPS can work but GPS is masked.

Last edited:
Another useful tip. When you start the drone, before you take off, make sure you've got a good GPS lock. If you don't, your RTH location won't be accurate.

I answered this in your other thread.

Remember that even though the Mini 4 is under 250g, you still have to apply for an operator ID.

1) It happens. It's never happened to me.
2) I've recently bought a Mini Pro 4 and put the two years care on it. To me, it made sense.
3) Yes, absolutely. My garden is 10m x 25m and I've done just that. Be careful of washing lines and other obstacles.
4) Yes, it can be flown indoors. It's not something I'd be comfortable doing.
5) Never happened to me.
6) Good question and there's probably not a single answer. High enough not to bother them.
7) Be very careful in wind, it can be stronger than you think. I've seen videos of the Mini 4 flown in winds much higher than 22mph and the image is nice and stable but the drone really is getting blown all over the place. Remember if you fly away with the wind behind the drone that you've got to bring it back into the wind and it'll fly a lot slower.

Good luck!
Thanks for that, also I already have operator and flyer IDs.

Reactions: Feek
Thanks for all that, also when I click Norfolk in any of my location bits in the profile, it takes me to Norfolk England, how weird.
I have flown a mini RC helicopter indoors, did fine with that, and it wasn't the easy type. But yes I think prop guards might be a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317

1. Fly away rarely happens, but it does happen. Drone can suddenly just "fly away" for a bunch of reasons. One of them is sensor malfunction. Also, DJI Fly away policy is loose and you sometimes get a fly away claim even if you dunk your drone into the ocean because of a pilot error.
2. Simply put, yes it is. You get new drone every time you send them broken or crashed one, even if you send it in pieces. No questions asked. I usually take 1 year and then extend it for another.
3. I suggest you practice at a bigger, safe height first. When you are over the obstacles you can't hit anything.
4. Avoid indoor flight altogether.
5. This depends of the location where you are flying and its local laws and regulations. At some places you can't take of from private property, but you can fly over, at others you can't do both. You will have to find out which rules apply for a particular location you are planning to fly at.
6. I think you will have to find this one out yourself because it depends of a lot of factors, such as: model of drone you are flying, weather conditions (drone is more noisy during wind gusts), absolute ground height, wind direction, type of livestock you are filming and if they've used to man made noises or not.
7. 22 mph is fine for starters. When you get to know your drone better and gain some experience you will be able to fly during stronger winds.
8. If you put regulations aside, it really depends of the terrain you are flying. For starters, my suggestion is not to fly any further then the distance you are prepared to walk to get your drone in case of a problem.

Last edited:
Great answers thanks. Now got to find somewhere to practise, open public space, preferably nobody around, with little to no breeze, no farm animals, not in a 'no fly zone', thats not miles away.

as for flying over animals, when I looked up the regs b4 buying

it said "not to be used in provincial park (canada here)

as it disturbs the animals."

its prolly because yahoos try to get REAL close to animals.

UPDATE:
Lots of views, big thanks for the time you took to give them.

Original Post:

2. Is the DJI Care worth doing? In my opinion, YES. I've used it at least one for each drone (Air 1, Mini2, M3)im thinking year 1 at least gotta be a good idea? (I will have insurance)
3. Can I practise in my garden, at least hoover 5 ft, turn a bit, move the camera etc? got about 15m x 15m of grass. YES again in my opinion

I tried to answer the ones I think I know about in RED,

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972