DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie qustion on Follow Me and Tracking

Reactions
Purchased a used Mavic Pro with 11 flights and thanks to help from the forum have a couple of baby step flights under my belt.

I live on a ranch and would like to get some shots with either Follow Me or the Tracking feature. My question is part of the route I want to take includes going under a tree canopy. Of course this time of year there are no leaves on the trees, but I don't just want to try it and have something go wrong. Wondering what the limitations of these features are. The next obvious question would be how these features would handle leaves other times of the year.

I am going to include a couple of photos to give you and idea of the type of canopy I am talking.

I am really greatful to have found such an active forum with people willing to help out us Newbie's!
23621994_10214344392224507_6707011727597450192_n.jpg
23622168_10214344394144555_2518911086256843467_n.jpg
about.

Purchased a used Mavic Pro with 11 flights and thanks to help from the forum have a couple of baby step flights under my belt.

I live on a ranch and would like to get some shots with either Follow Me or the Tracking feature. My question is part of the route I want to take includes going under a tree canopy. Of course this time of year there are no leaves on the trees, but I don't just want to try it and have something go wrong. Wondering what the limitations of these features are. The next obvious question would be how these features would handle leaves other times of the year.

I am going to include a couple of photos to give you and idea of the type of canopy I am talking.

I am really greatful to have found such an active forum with people willing to help out us Newbie's!
23621994_10214344392224507_6707011727597450192_n.jpg
23622168_10214344394144555_2518911086256843467_n.jpg
about.
beautiful trees, I would not try to take the mavic thru there with any of the auto modes, a little too risky for me. You could have someone else pilot it to follow you.

I am actually not wanting to fly the Mavic beneath the tree canopy, but wonder if it would work in one of those modes to follow above the canopy of the trees.

Here is some of the type of scenery I want to capture on the ranch.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am actually not wanting to fly the Mavic beneath the tree canopy, but wonder if it would work in one of those modes to follow above the canopy of the trees.

Here is some of the type of scenery I want to capture on the ranch.
Ah..Active track uses video to follow you so I do not think it would work with a lot of foliage, it may work with the bare trees, follow me uses the gps in your phone or tablet so it should be able to follow you through tree cover.

Thanks. I thought perhaps that was the case. Just don't want to lose the thing or have it crash. Just wishing I had got it in time to capture our fall colors.

Hi there, I’m about to purchase a Mavic Pro and was interested in your post as I am in a similar situation in wanting to use follow me mode while I’m under a light cover of tree canopy. Did you get game enough to try it?

Haven't tried yet but getting ready to test. Follow Me mode would be the way to go since tracks using GPS rather than having to visually follow a subject. Here is a short video on Folliw Me mode. If I get my video I will post it or if I find one on Youtube following in some light tree cover I will share. It's 9 below wind chill here right now so might wait till it warms a little :)

Reactions: born2drone
Thanks... sounds like a good idea to wait til it warms up a bit. I’m on the other side of the world, expect 34 degree c today.

I pick up the Mavic tomorrow and will be taking it slow while I get used to it. I’ll be interested to see how your follow me goes.

Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wiz4rd