DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie sorting out where to fly

firstbase

Reactions
Newbie, first post. Preparing for a Mavic 2 Pro retirement gift from my staff. Yoo hoo! I have 2 acres outside my door (north of West Palm Beach FL) that begs for beginner flights no more than 50' max just to learn the controls. Just around the yard which is surrounded by tall trees. After reviewing the sectional to find out what I can and can't do I am lost. It appears that I can't do as my yard seems to be inside Class E sfc so not even minimum altitude practice. I see a note saying to check the NOTAM/Supplemental info for the effective hours at "Gwynn" which SEEMS to be the airport affecting me but I'll be darn if I can find anything. See attached JPG of the sectional with an arrow to my house. Can someone help me sort out what I am looking at? Trying to make sure I follow the law so I don't end up playing cards with Paul Manafort for 5 years. Any comments/help appreciated!

Attachments

• Sectional - Home.JPG
    Sectional - Home.JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Addition of Airmap view of exact location.

Attachments

• Airmap Home.JPG
    Airmap Home.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 36
Urban...thats funny. Actually I am about as out in the sticks as you can be in this part of Florida. Equestrian community, horses chickens, etc. "Jupiter Farms" is the name of the area and most reply "OMG, you live out there?" when we tell people where we live. . I understand rules and regs etc. but geez. I am sure I could go out back and drone away all day low and slow and no one would even know I was there. However, it is what it is, have to follow the rules so I don't want to do that. Given the geographics shown, is there ATC I can contact for permission? I have read about LAANC but not for these airports. The one to the north is a fly-in neighborhood strip. The one to the west is a corporate facility that is small and infrequently used. The one south is a county airport which would have the most traffic by far. Would I contact them? If the other two are not manned ATC then what does someone do?

Last edited:
LAANC compliance is your best bet and to the benefit of all drone pilots. The AirMap app not only provides a list of no fly zones and a map of your locale, but it can also obtain LAANC approval for flights in these zones in seconds. I live on the last few hundred feet of one of these 5 mile diameter areas and use it for any flight here. Free also. Check it out:

AirMap for Drones - AirMap

There may be a better way when the redo of B4UFLY (mostly outdated, likely should use anyway) is completed by Kittyhawk, but for now I rely on AirMap.

I have reviewed LAANC and don't see these airports listed. I assume that means I have to contact the airport directly? sorry for the newb questions, just trying to learn and understand.

I have reviewed LAANC and don't see these airports listed. I assume that means I have to contact the airport directly? sorry for the newb questions, just trying to learn and understand.
In AirMap just enter a flight plan and see what it tells you. It’s never a bad idea to contact directly, especially if the area is one where you plan to fly frequently. You also will get info on temporary restrictions from the app.

You are indeed inside the controlled airspace from Gwynn airport.
If a tower is operating, you need to contact them, and the controlled airspace where your arrow ends begins at the surface.
During times when it is not operating, it begins at 700' agl.

Your best bet is to contact them and establish a relationship.

Gwynn Airport info and contacts.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I don't have a drone to list at this point and the AirMap seems to want a registered drone before it shows me an info on a flight plan.

Correct, you have to be a Part 107 pilot to use the LAANC feature of AirMap. You'll be in a No Fly Zone any time the president is in town.

It's a no drive zone when he is here as well. And a no boat zone. The man needs to stay in Washington or NYC. Another question, what exactly is an AirMap Verification Token? I played around witgh the app today and loaded some info like I was planning a flight and I got a cell phone text back with a a token number.

Reactions: kadras
Newbie, first post. Preparing for a Mavic 2 Pro retirement gift from my staff. Yoo hoo! I have 2 acres outside my door (north of West Palm Beach FL) that begs for beginner flights no more than 50' max just to learn the controls. Just around the yard which is surrounded by tall trees. After reviewing the sectional to find out what I can and can't do I am lost. It appears that I can't do as my yard seems to be inside Class E sfc so not even minimum altitude practice. I see a note saying to check the NOTAM/Supplemental info for the effective hours at "Gwynn" which SEEMS to be the airport affecting me but I'll be darn if I can find anything. See attached JPG of the sectional with an arrow to my house. Can someone help me sort out what I am looking at? Trying to make sure I follow the law so I don't end up playing cards with Paul Manafort for 5 years. Any comments/help appreciated!
Congrats on your retirement sir. I use to have a girlfriend I called firstbase. Just joking,,,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada