DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie stupid question about remote control

Keithb31

Reactions
I bought a Mavic three several years ago and have only used it twice. The reason is because I had to hook up my iPhone to use as the remote control and I did not like doing that as it was awkward. Would like to use the drone, but I’m looking for a remote controller, which of course has a screen on it to see where I’m going, but they are very expensive. My goal here is to get a recommendation for a remote controller that will do what I want for the least amount of money. Thank you for your help in advance.

This is likely your only inexpensive options for a remote with a scree, I've seen these for sale used from $80 to $150:

Reactions: Cafguy
You have 3 choices and only one of them is "cheap" The cheapest way would be an RC-N1 connected to a phone OR pad.
What was "awkward"?
and WELCOME!!! FromBakersfield!
It was awkward to have to remove my iPhone from its case, and then it did not fit into the apparatus provided with my drone very easily. I would rather have a dedicated remote controller.

I hated that myself! I ended up getting a used phone as a "dedicated" screen The remotes with the built in screen are nice BUT when the time comes ( and it does ) you cannot plug an Ipad into it. DJI decided the only way to sell more RCPRO's was to disable this feature on the standard screened remotes.

It was awkward to have to remove my iPhone from its case, and then it did not fit into the apparatus provided with my drone very easily. I would rather have a dedicated remote controller.
I would be included to post a photo that shows why the uncased iPhone wouldn't fit into the phone holder of the controller.
Is the phone very wide and or thick or something ?

ok thats valid.

Well with rc1 that is indeed hard as you need a displaylink adapter and adb access to use a external screen with the usbc port as it does not support common usb-c hdmi adapters.

With rc2 this should have changed and now you only need a common usbc-hdmi adapter.

You then can use a hdmi usb capture device on ipados to display the hdmi signal.
Of course a hdmi splitter can be used to split that upon multiple devices from there.

RC Pro can do that wirelessly and wired of course, for wireless transmission on RC2 you might get away with adb access also as this controller should have way more process power and you can install the apps for that.

What i usually do is just stream to youtube and/or locally to clients but that is rc pro only

I do not have RC2 yet, i can only speak from what I‘ve read so far

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PCSTravis