DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

newbie thinking of buying a pro 2. few questions

steve_epie

Reactions
thinking about picking up a drone just a few questions.

1. the pro has an auto land feature right? something like a return to home function? probably my biggest worry...that should make it simple and i wont have to worry about it crashing on me while landing lol

2. there seems to be conflicting articles i'm seeing about having to register a drone with the FAA...i've seen you have too...to it was reversed you no longer have too. whats the final say or is it still in limbo?

3. how comfortable are you guys with a newbie getting the pro 2? i know some would suggest getting maybe a cheapie model just in case...but i figure as long as the thing has an autopilot/autoland mode/function it should be smooth sailing right?

Reactions: wjtvet
1. the pro has an auto land feature right? something like a return to home function? probably my biggest worry...that should make it simple and i wont have to worry about it crashing on me while landing lol
In the manual there are 4.5 pages on the return to home function
Read all about it from p15 here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic 2 Pro Zoom User Manual V1.4.pdf
2. there seems to be conflicting articles i'm seeing about having to register a drone with the FAA...i've seen you have too...to it was reversed you no longer have too. whats the final say or is it still in limbo?
Registration has been back for quite some time.
Read all about it here: Fly under the Small UAS Rule
3. how comfortable are you guys with a newbie getting the pro 2? i know some would suggest getting maybe a cheapie model just in case...but i figure as long as the thing has an autopilot/autoland mode/function it should be smooth sailing right?
Although some would recommend a cheap trainer, it's unnecessary.
The Mavic will be easier to fly than any "trainer drone".
You are better off concentrating on learning how the Mavic flies and how its programming works.

Read all about it from p15 here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic 2 Pro Zoom User Manual V1.4.pdf

You are better off concentrating on learning how the Mavic flies and how its programming works.

appreciate this. thanks so much

wait am i reading this right? i have to go to find some place to take a test to get a license?

wait am i reading this right? i have to go to find some place to take a test to get a license?

I just went through the same thing with the Mavic 2 Zoom. NO. Unless you are doing commercial operations, as a recreational "pilot" you only need to submit a form. There may be an exception if you want to fly in some restricted airspace.

I just went through the same thing with the Mavic 2 Zoom. NO. Unless you are doing commercial operations, as a recreational "pilot" you only need to submit a form. There may be an exception if you want to fly in some restricted airspace.

hmm the link provided by meta doesnt seem to make that clear. what form do i need to fill out?

edit: wait may have found it...this it? Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions #2 option 1 then just use that link to register?

hmm the link provided by meta doesnt seem to make that clear. what form do i need to fill out?

edit: wait may have found it...this it? Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions #2 option 1 then just use that link to register?

I just tried stepping through the process again (you know, I'm old and that was a week or so ago!!). That is probably it.

But here's where I just wound up

FAADroneZone

I got a number and used a label maker to print out my FAA number and placed it in the battery compartment. I don't recall, now if you have to have a serial number when you apply. So if you have not purchased a drone, you may be stymied for a bit????

I just tried stepping through the process again (you know, I'm old and that was a week or so ago!!). That is probably it.

But here's where I just wound up

FAADroneZone

I got a number and used a label maker to print out my FAA number and placed it in the battery compartment. I don't recall, now if you have to have a serial number when you apply. So if you have not purchased a drone, you may be stymied for a bit????

$5.00 for 3 years? if so,then yeah thats it. i'll check it out thanks

Don't choose the Part 107 option unless you are wanting to register for commercial use.

went ahead and registered...looks like i didn't need a drone serial number but it provided me with a certificate number...gotta place it on the drone when i get it. what is your guys advice for that? just type it up print it out...maybe laminate then tape it on the underside?

The new law does require a 'safety knowledge test' for those flying a drone for recreation but FAA hasn't implemented it yet. Nobody knows what that test will look like. It could be as simple as the DJI quiz or closer to what those applying for part 107 need to take. Until FAA has worked out the implantation of the new law, continue following 336.
There's lots of ways to put your FAA number on the M2P. A label maker sounds like a good idea. You might want to also consider contact information in case you lose it and someone finds it.

Reactions: jointeffort

Wait for the enterprise!

Why?
There's very little about the Enterprise that makes sense for any recreational flyers (and most professionals too)
The dolly zoom is going to be awesome and the other features you will never know when you will need them.

The dolly zoom is going to be awesome and the other features you will never know when you will need them.
It's a Mavic 2 zoom with an added light, loudspeaker and flasher.
You know the M2 Zoom already has dolly zoom don't you?
The Enterprise has almost nothing extra you would ever need.
It's an M2 zoom with some toys you'd never use and a much higher price.

With regards to landing I would highly suggest you conquer any apprehension you have and always focus on landing the drone manually in the first instance.

Yes the return to home feature is useful but this should be considered a fail-safe during normal operations. If you read the forums there are countless examples of when RTH hasn’t functioned as expected (primarily because of obstacles, RTH height or incorrect GPS fix for the home point).

Flying the Mavic is very easy. Flying home is very easy. The latter stage of landing is autonomous anyway.

I’d suggest just finding a nice open space and playing around. You will be amazed how quickly your confidence will rise.

If you read the forums there are countless examples of when RTH hasn’t functioned as expected (primarily because of obstacles, RTH height or incorrect GPS fix for the home point).
The main reason for RTH not acting as expected would be flyers that haven't read and practised RTH to know what it does and how it does it.
RTH is very simple and reliable .. much more relaible than many flyers.
I'm not sure about your example of an incorrect GPS fix for the home point.
I don't think I've seen many of those but they would only be because of operator error if they happened at all.

The main reason for RTH not acting as expected would be flyers that haven't read and practised RTH to know what it does and how it does it.
RTH is very simple and reliable .. much more relaible than many flyers.
I'm not sure about your example of an incorrect GPS fix for the home point.
I don't think I've seen many of those but they would only be because of operator error if they happened at all.

ive been watching a handful of vids past couple of days...only thing ive seen is that apparently the drone doesnt have pin point accuracy when RTH...sometimes it lands a little bit outside of that range. then again those vids were made months ago and maybe a firmware update has helped update that?

also i've noticed they say to make sure you set the RTH altitude high enough so that it clears trees/buildings and such.

only thing ive seen is that apparently the drone doesnt have pin point accuracy when RTH...sometimes it lands a little bit outside of that range. then again those vids were made months ago and maybe a firmware update has helped update that?
That's no big deal.
It's just the nature of GPS which is accurate to within 3-5 feet most of the time, but occasionally more.
The simple solution is to avoid launching from tight locations and allow a little room to allow for this.
And ... RTH autolanding is just a gimmick anyway.
The flyer can always cancel the RTH and resume control to land wherever he chooses.

That's no big deal.
It's just the nature of GPS which is accurate to within 3-5 feet most of the time, but occasionally more.
The simple solution is to avoid launching from tight locations and allow a little room to allow for this.
And ... RTH autolanding is just a gimmick anyway.
The flyer can always cancel the RTH and resume control to land wherever he chooses.
The MP1 has always had the "precision landing" feature. When used properly the aircraft lands within inches of its takeoff point by using automatically taken photos of the lift-off location. I use precision landing with the P4P all the time when flying Pix4d missions. This feature was never implemented in the MP2, which many have complained about from the start, and with good reason. If anything should happen during flight and you were unable to regain control you might wish you had it. It might make a big difference in whether or not your aircraft can land safely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661