DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newby Question!

SUB2

Reactions
Hi
I was looking at the Mavic Mini 2 as a first time Drone but realised it doesn’t have the “Follow Me” function that I thought would be good to have.

It has a QuickShot mode that includes Circle, if I was moving on a bike for instance would it adapt to my movement and continue to follow while circling ??

Sorry, a bit of a bazar question.

Thanks very much

Reactions: Flycaster
i think you are getting your numbers mixed up ,my fellow flyer ,at this time there is no such drone as a Mavic Mini 2, unless i missed the release there is only one MM and it does not have the follow me function as you say

Sounds like you are looking for something to follow you as you ride/hike etc.

Look at this, this may be more to your needs. Slightly different in feature set than DJI, but it has waay better obstacle avoidance, and with the GPS tracking module, it will follow you. Not perfect, but way better than the DJI follow me bits.

and

All Skydio needs is something like the Occusync transmission system, then that would be the bomb.

i think you are getting your numbers mixed up ,my fellow flyer ,at this time there is no such drone as a Mavic Mini 2, unless i missed the release there is only one MM and it does not have the follow me function as you say

Hi
Thanks for the response, apologies its just the Mavic Mini!

Reactions: old man mavic
Sounds like you are looking for something to follow you as you ride/hike etc.

Look at this, this may be more to your needs. Slightly different in feature set than DJI, but it has waay better obstacle avoidance, and with the GPS tracking module, it will follow you. Not perfect, but way better than the DJI follow me bits.

and

All Skydio needs is something like the Occusync transmission system, then that would be the bomb.

Hi Flycaster

Thanks for the links, love the skydio and certainly ticks all the boxes.. But may be too much for a first Drone!
Will have to look more in to this and the functionality in need, I suppose you get what you pay for.

Thanks

I'm not sure which country you are in, but last I checked, the Mavic Mini is $400, the Mavic Air 2 is $800 and the Skydio 2 is $999.

If money is not extremely tight, I would definitely recommend the Mavic Air 2 vs the Mini. The Air 2 has about 90% the capability of a "prosumer" top end drone like the Mavic 2 Pro, but for half the cost. The Mini is about 60% the capability of the Air 2. It sacrificed quite a lot of functionality to meet its weight target. The biggest downside for a new pilot like me is its vulnerability to high winds and inferior transmission technology.

The Skydio 2 is very good at what it does. But it is even more expensive than the Air 2 and far less portable. Also, would you REALLY want to trust AI with a $1000 drone? I thought the autonomous modes were really cool and did actually consider getting the Skydio 2 instead of the Air 2... but I realized that even if I did go for a bike ride with it following me, I'd constantly be paranoid of losing it behind me. lol

Reactions: MavicMan64
I believe Litchi is working on a "Follow Me" function for the Mini but it's still in beta testing. There may be other software out that offers that function for the Mini.

mikeg

I'm not sure which country you are in, but last I checked, the Mavic Mini is $400, the Mavic Air 2 is $800 and the Skydio 2 is $999.

If money is not extremely tight, I would definitely recommend the Mavic Air 2 vs the Mini. The Air 2 has about 90% the capability of a "prosumer" top end drone like the Mavic 2 Pro, but for half the cost. The Mini is about 60% the capability of the Air 2. It sacrificed quite a lot of functionality to meet its weight target. The biggest downside for a new pilot like me is its vulnerability to high winds and inferior transmission technology.

The Skydio 2 is very good at what it does. But it is even more expensive than the Air 2 and far less portable. Also, would you REALLY want to trust AI with a $1000 drone? I thought the autonomous modes were really cool and did actually consider getting the Skydio 2 instead of the Air 2... but I realized that even if I did go for a bike ride with it following me, I'd constantly be paranoid of losing it behind me. lol

Thanks Heindrich
Some valid points for sure.
I am in the UK but your price points arnt too far off for sure.

As it will be my first Drone Im conscious of spending money on something that I don't get on with and ends up siting on the shelf. Alternatively opting for the cheaper option that doesn't have the desired function could also have the same effect!!

I will have to make a decision regarding cost and functionality..

Thanks

Thanks Heindrich
Some valid points for sure.
I am in the UK but your price points arnt too far off for sure.

As it will be my first Drone Im conscious of spending money on something that I don't get on with and ends up siting on the shelf. Alternatively opting for the cheaper option that doesn't have the desired function could also have the same effect!!

I will have to make a decision regarding cost and functionality..

Thanks

Why not go for a mpp. Used. Check out the classified section right on this forum. [emoji106]

I will have to make a decision regarding cost and functionality.

I have a Mini and highly recommend it. It produces great photos and very stable video and, whilst it can’t cope particularly well with strong winds, it copes well enough with moderate winds. Many of the features that people complain about as being missing from the Mini (waypoints and follow me, for example) are being added by third-party apps like Dronelink and Litchi. It’s a lot more capable than most people who don’t have one seem to think.

It’s true that the Mini’s range isn’t as good as something like the Mavic Air 2 but it’s good enough to still maintain the legal requirement to keep your drone in sight. Having several kilometres of range is pointless if the regulations don’t allow you to fly that far away. When the new UK/European regulations come in at the end of the year, because of its weight the Mini will have advantages over most other drones currently available, making it an even better buy. If you don’t already have a drone, I’d say get a Mini (specifically the Fly More combo) - you won’t be disappointed.

I have a Mini and highly recommend it. It produces great photos and very stable video and, whilst it can’t cope particularly well with strong winds, it copes well enough with moderate winds. Many of the features that people complain about as being missing from the Mini (waypoints and follow me, for example) are being added by third-party apps like Dronelink and Litchi. It’s a lot more capable than most people who don’t have one seem to think.

It’s true that the Mini’s range isn’t as good as something like the Mavic Air 2 but it’s good enough to still maintain the legal requirement to keep your drone in sight. Having several kilometres of range is pointless if the regulations don’t allow you to fly that far away. When the new UK/European regulations come in at the end of the year, because of its weight the Mini will have advantages over most other drones currently available, making it an even better buy. If you don’t already have a drone, I’d say get a Mini (specifically the Fly More combo) - you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for your reply.
I must admit Im leaning towards the Mini as a first drone, I think its probably wise to start with the basic functionality rather than get out of my depth!!
The distance or speed are not a deal- breaker and weight is a bonus as you say regarding legislation.

Cheers

Honestly...after reading about all the "issues" with the MM on this forum, not sure I trust it. Too much packed into a 249 gram drone for things not to go wrong. Also not a fan of the Fly app. First drone? Get yourself a used Spark off ebay and learn to fly it. It has the features you are looking for, it will be cheaper than new, probably come with a few extras, and it won't hurt as much if you crash or lose it. Fly it for a year, see if it is worth it to you to upgrade after you become a proficient pilot. I'm the proud owner of a M2 Zoom, but I still take out Ol' Sparky once in a while so she doesn't sit at home, getting fat eating bon bons and watching The Price is Right everyday. Just bought her a new set of props to wear on our next outing. Good luck and good flying!

Honestly...after reading about all the "issues" with the MM on this forum, not sure I trust it.

Almost all of the “issues” with the Mini are as a result of people not reading the manual, not considering the weather or not paying attention to warnings in the Fly app. There’s little evidence of any design faults with the drone and almost all “flyaways” can be traced to pilot error. With the addition of third-party apps, there’s almost nothing that other drones can do that the Mini can’t. It’s a great drone, not just a “starter drone”.

Aman to that, that most flight control problems are caused by pilot error. With the MM especially with wind speeds in excess of the design limits of the aircraft. Its a nice bird for the price, its primary role is to fly as a selfie camera, never designed to fly long distance. True, its a great drone not just a starter Drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan