DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

News recording?

Bad Santa

Reactions
Here's a question.

Let's say someone is driving to work on the freeway and there's a serious accident blocking the freeway.
Let's say the person has their drone in their vehicle.
Could the person pull over, take out their drone, and take video for the news, assuming the following:
• They are part 107 certified
• They don't cross over any traffic
• They maintain at least 100 feet away from any people or vehicles associated with the accident (participants or responders)
• Their vehicle is out of the right of way and not otherwise illegal
• They observe all the other rules associated with part 107

• Angry
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Here's a question.

Let's say someone is driving to work on the freeway and there's a serious accident blocking the freeway.
Could the person pull over, take out their drone, and take video for the news, assuming the following:
• They maintain at least 100 feet away from any people or vehicles associated with the accident (participants or responders)
In theory yes. However, I would land as soon as first responders got on site. Severe injuries may require to transported via hellocopter and a drone in the airspace will prevent this. There are numerous reports of such occurrences

• Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Following all rules/laws makes it legal, right?

Lots of news companies are already doing this today. There's nothing stopping a non-news business from doing the same and then attempting to sell their creations to news companies.

Here's a question.

One concern would be that such a drone would cause an Air Ambulance to be prevented from approaching the crash.
I recollect that
a) this has already happened
b) I have seen a thread about it and
b) the injured party died.

Would you want that on your conscience ?

Besides, I think its ghoulish for the worst possible reason.
If it was someone you loved how would you feel if someone invaded their dignity and prevented their speedy transportation in what might be their last few minutes and then plastered their possible agony all over the televison channels for a few measly $ ?

It reminds me of people grabbing phones and recording the agonies of people rather that helping those people.

Yes I have a bug up my ... about this sort of behaviour, I think it is appalling behviour.

Last edited:
NO and yes As stated above you would be hindering emergency operations. if an air ambulance was needed. I think it would Probably be legal but not so much prudent. If you did somehow interfere....Oh Boy get a very good attorney!

Last edited:
One concern would be that such a drone would cause an Air Ambulance to be prevented from approaching the crash.
I recollect that
a) this has already happened
b) I have seen a thread about it and
b) the injured party died.

Would you want that on your conscience ?

Besides, I think its ghoulish for the worst possible reason.
If it was someone you loved how would you feel if someone invaded their dignity and prevented their speedy transportation in what might be their last few minutes and then plastered their possible agony all over the televison channels for a few measly $ ?

It reminds me of people grabbing phones and recording the agonies of people rather that helping those people.

Yes I have a bug up my ... about this sort of behaviour, I think it is appalling behviour.
Thanks for taking the time to post that it says everything i would have if i had replied.
What is wrong with people today.

Legally, you're blocking emergency operations from occurring and morally, I would have issues with. I'd be rushing over to the scene to see if anyone needs help, whether it's the victims themselves or first responders, if on scene. Recording video for the news (and possibly making $$$ of a tragedy for exchange of video) would be unimaginable to me as an initial reaction.

Here's a question.

The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States gives *anyone* the right to record *any* situation in the public especially if it is the interest of the public. You don't need a permit from the government and you don't need permission from the government. You can use your eyeballs, a camera, or a drone as long as you follow the existing laws and that includes NOT flying under a TFR. I believe there is a rule about interfering as well.

There is no such thing as the *news* in this context since everyone has the capacity regardless if you work for the tv station, the local newspapers, or you have a press badge or not; doesn't matter. When I check the drone rules, I see nothing about needing a part 107, crossing over traffic, maintaining 100 feet, vehicle location, and as a recreational pilot, nothing in part 107, etc. Just follow the rules like you would do every other day of the week and you are fine. Just because you pull out a drone doesn't mean you now fall under some special authority or special circumstance. Until someone comes up with a workable process, this is all we have to go with. "Leave the area and don't come back" won't work and anybody who depends on that is not helping IMO.

At this point, that's all you need to worry about and maybe one day the authorities will figure out how to safely integrate such drone activities into the situation instead of trying to eliminate them which is a non-starter. The same was said and tried with news helicopters, the same can be done with drones as well. If for some reason it cannot be figured out, I have some ideas.

My comments apply only to the hypothetical situation that was brought up in the OP; nothing else is implied or inferred.

Here's a question.

Here's a hypothetical thought about a hypothetical situation. How about the drone jock getting their backside out of the gridlocked car and offering aid to the trapped or injured instead of rubbernecking or trying to flog tacky accident shots to ghoulish news agencies?

Here's a question.

A similar discussion erupted after the Helene storm over the southern states:

One concern would be that such a drone would cause an Air Ambulance to be prevented from approaching the crash
I suppose it depends on the country, but I bet most countries have laws against doing something like this. The same goes with things like blocking ambulances with your car on the roadways.

Thanks for taking the time to post that it says everything i would have if i had replied.
What is wrong with people today.

Lighten up a little, friend. Consider that he came here and asked, rather than just doing it.

There's nothing wrong with not having thought of some of the hazards pointed out here. That's why we seek advice.

A similar discussion erupted after the Helene storm over the southern states:

Hugely different situation than a car accident. The hurricane presented an immediate search and rescue situation that private drone operators can help with enormously.

Rather than the outright ban, an organized, coordinated effort might have saved lives.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svjnilse