DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Next steps in understanding the UK drone laws

richardf

Reactions
Hi

I've just started flying my Mavic Pro, and am loving it :)

I have found an old school field which isn't being used during the summer and also another patch of public land. I'm ensuring I follow the main UK rules - not flying over 120m, keep in sight, staying 50m from people, ect..

But where can I learn more? For instance, am I allowed to fly between fields that are intersected by roads, what if people walk towards me because they are curious about the drone, ect..

Lots of questions, just looking to make sure I understand the rules before I start doing anything I shouldn't!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Richard

The rukes
Hi

I have found an old school field which isn't being used during the summer and also another patch of public land. I'm ensuring I follow the main UK rules - not flying over 120m, keep in sight, staying 50m from people, ect..

But where can I learn more? For instance, am I allowed to fly between fields that are intersected by roads, what if people walk towards me because they are curious about the drone, ect..

Lots of questions, just looking to make sure I understand the rules before I start doing anything I shouldn't!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Richard

The rules are currently as basic as you state, you just have to apply them to each scenario. If someone walks towards you for example, you have to keep the legal distance away from them - the reason for their approach has nothing to do with, and doesn't change, the law.

Similarly if there isn't a rule about flying over roads (and there isn't), well guess what...

There will be a shedload more coming of course, once the current consultation is complete, so you'll have to cross that bridge when you get there.

If you're uncertain about any particular scenario best to just post and ask.

Reactions: richardf
Thanks, it does all seem down to common sense then, other than following the minimum requirements.

Cheers!
Richard

Hi,Common sense, and the drone code are where you should be at as a beginner however Cap 722 and the new CAP1687-SUAANOAmendmentOrder-3 which is to be published on the 30th of this month make good reading, the latter makes amendments to the former, the new cap 1687 will have bigger implications in 2019 with regards to licencing. I will try and upload the doc cap 1687 for you to read.

Martin

Attachments

• CAP1687-SUAANOAmendmentOrder-3.pdf
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi

Any ideas?

Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard

It's actually more straightforward in the UK than some other countries.
Have a look at this video.
Cheers
Ian

Reactions: richardf
Hi,Common sense, and the drone code are where you should be at as a beginner however Cap 722 and the new CAP1687-SUAANOAmendmentOrder-3 which is to be published on the 30th of this month make good reading, the latter makes amendments to the former, the new cap 1687 will have bigger implications in 2019 with regards to licencing. I will try and upload the doc cap 1687 for you to read.

Martin
Thanks Martin! A useful read, cheers

Martin
Useful document, thanks - especially the clarifying diagram re the definition of 400ft height

Thanks for all the info everyone. Really trying to fly safely and within the rules. I’ve been flying from a local park in the evening near to town, ensuring I remained 50m plus away from anyone.

I put a image up online and it’s been pulled apart because a few people think I filmed it illegally Although I was flying around a park, it was in town and may not be 150m from roads/residential building.

What’s everyone’s interpretation of “congested area” and how that affects the 150m rule?

Thanks in advance
Richard

Reactions: metaphase
Thanks for all the info everyone. Really trying to fly safely and within the rules. I’ve been flying from a local park in the evening near to town, ensuring I remained 50m plus away from anyone.

I put a image up online and it’s been pulled apart because a few people think I filmed it illegally Although I was flying around a park, it was in town and may not be 150m from roads/residential building.

What’s everyone’s interpretation of “congested area” and how that affects the 150m rule?

Thanks in advance
Richard
Hi again Richard
Unfortunately the arm-chair drone police are almost as bad as the media and press, instantly assuming anything that goes beyond their interpretation of the rules will result in the ruination of the hobby for everyone. Just like cars that do 80mph on the motorways :)

The CAA is a little vague on congested area, other than defining it as 'any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes.’
So basically if it's more buildings than open space, it's congested.
That said, the rules state you need to stay 150 meters away from these areas, with no flying over them. So if the park you're in is around 500 metres x 500 metres, you're probably good to fly in the middle of it as long as you don't go far from your take off point.
TBH though, you're better off heading to the countryside or coast.

Cheers
Ian

Reactions: MrDronetheMavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato