DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ and requesting authorization from DJI

doublesixes

Reactions
I basically fly on the edge of northern Patagonia in an area that's sparsely populated. I'm also an RC pilot and as is customary here, all of the RC flying activities in this country happen in regional aerodromes which traditionally coexist with whatever general aviation takes place. In the many decades of RC and full scale aviation interaction, there are no recorded accidents/events.

I wanted to capture some videos of my fellow RC pilots who fly big gas planes but my M2Z refused to let me take off because this aerodrome was obviously listed as a NFZ which is really unrepresentative of the real full-scale flying activity and its interaction with remote controlled planes or drones. We've always flown responsibly (it's mandatory in our club to fly beside a caller) and with the consent of everybody involved.

I wonder if anybody experienced a similar situation and if after contacting DJI, the situation was somewhat resolved in favor of getting the necessary permissions to operate from an otherwise NFZ environment. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What zone does the app map or better yet DJI FlySafe site show the location as? I'm betting it's considering it as a stadium based on your description.

If it's a blue zone, you probably can self-unlock within the app.
App needs internet access and you need an SMS capable device (not necessarily the device running the app).
With that in place, attempt to start motors. That will start the unlock process.
Follow the prompts. When asked about a CC or mobile device, select latter and provide the phone number of the SMS capable device. It doesn't have to be a number you might have used for your DJI account. They're only looking to confirm you're an adult human.
Somewhere along the line you'll get a box with three check boxes. The boxes may be hard to see but they will be on the right. Once all checked you can OK/confirm.
You should now be able to fly.

Thanks DanMan for such prompt reply. I just looked on the app and the airport is labeled blue (it has 3 runways depicted as blue rectangles although there are only 2 operational). It reads as follows:

Miramar Airport

Level: Authorization Zones

Type: Airport

Last Sunday at the field I encountered the NFZ message and it prompted to contact DJI to proceed. I didn't take any action as I was outside of a wifi area.

Does your phone have hot-spot capabilities? If so, you can have your tablet borrow Wi-Fi based w
Internet from your phone.

You can go through the manual process through the mentioned website. You have to use a desktop browser.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb