DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ in State Parks

TrayBoz

Reactions
I know that flying in National Parks is illegal. I have no problem with that.

I will be traveling to a huge State Park (in the USA) where they announced on their website about 8 months ago that drones were no longer allowed in the park.
I will be there for about a week and would like to fly low-ish and close to me, within VLOS, where I'm FAR FAR away from any other human (in the middle of a lake from a boat about a mile off-shore - filming my kids skiing and tubing)

My question is, does DJI implement their infamous NFZ Red-Circle Restrictions (automated/forced) in State Parks the way they do around airports and national monuments?

Maybe it would help if I knew if DJI had their NFZ's marked and restricted in National Parks.(?) Has anyone tried to fly near or in a national or state park and been prevented by DJI GO 4?

I've rolled back my firmware successfully in the past to get around a NFZ restriction near an extinct airport, so that is an option. But I don't want to waste my time doing it again if it doesn't matter to DJI anyway.

No matter where you are inside the state park is total illegal... If a state park ranger catch you, he can legally put you a ticket.

No matter where you are inside the state park is total illegal... If a state park ranger catch you, he can legally put you a ticket.

What state?

You can fly in any non-federal Park in Michigan, even if they have a sign that claims drones are not permitted.

First, there is a huge difference between a NFZ and a park not allowing you to operate a drone while on their property. Those are two different things entirely.

DJI has very few programmed NFZ. These are generally large airports and military areas only.

You can also see DJI's NFZ:

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

DJI won't have locked out the state park.

Reactions: TrayBoz
I know that flying in National Parks is illegal. I have no problem with that.

I will be traveling to a huge State Park (in the USA) where they announced on their website about 8 months ago that drones were no longer allowed in the park.
I will be there for about a week and would like to fly low-ish and close to me, within VLOS, where I'm FAR FAR away from any other human (in the middle of a lake from a boat about a mile off-shore - filming my kids skiing and tubing)

My question is, does DJI implement their infamous NFZ Red-Circle Restrictions (automated/forced) in State Parks the way they do around airports and national monuments?

Maybe it would help if I knew if DJI had their NFZ's marked and restricted in National Parks.(?) Has anyone tried to fly near or in a national or state park and been prevented by DJI GO 4?

I've rolled back my firmware successfully in the past to get around a NFZ restriction near an extinct airport, so that is an option. But I don't want to waste my time doing it again if it doesn't matter to DJI anyway.

I ALWAYS check with the "head" Park Ranger ... although restricted (here in Wisconsin) I wanted to film some restored Prairie during spring bloom. I checked with the Ranger, showed her some video of some other work I've done and she gave me written permission to fly within a two hour window of time. Of note: When I flew I received no 'red zone' notifications for the park. However there were popups for a Class E and a HeliPort which didn't interfere with flight. It was really nice to know about the HeliPort, though as I was doing flights of 300-400 feet. FWIW, I also have a BeBop2 that uses the Parrot flight software. It does not have any NFZ limitations or notifications.

Reactions: TrayBoz
Thanks Tcope - that answered my question. I should've thought to simply look at the DJI Geo map to begin with.

Florida State Parks does not allow drones, Florida State Forests allow it though

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo