DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ

Happyflyer

Reactions
How big does an airport have to be to keep your Mavic from taking off? Or is it any airport. Size does not matter?

How big does an airport have to be to keep your Mavic from taking off? Or is it any airport. Size does not matter?

Size doesn't matter but the AirSpace around the airport. Of course larger airports have more traffic and stricter airspace requirements but some small airports are inside the largest and most congested airspace.

Are you looking to fly as a hobbyist or commercially?
Hobby/Recreational

or

Commercial/Part 107

Why do you want to fly by an airport?

Does this help the OP at all? They may not be "beside" the airport and still well within "Controlled" airspace.

Why do you want to fly by an airport?
I don't want to and never would. No one should, but lots of idiots do. Last I remember you should not fly within 5 miles of any airport. Well, where I am located a great amount of great video could be shot, but within that 5 miles. So I was wondering if that 5 miles was still the "rule" of today. I have a P2 and still do, and that one you could take off from the center of a runway if you were one of the idiots. From what I have read so far the Mavic just will not take off if too close to the airport. But the question would be how close?

Recreational pilots can now use the LAANC system to get authorization to fly in controlled airspace surrounding many airports. Depending on the actual distance from the airport and approach paths, you can be approved to fly at various altitudes that the FAA has deemed safe. (400 feet if you are further away, with closer sectors possibly available at lower max altitudes)

It was never the case you couldn't fly within 5 miles of airports. Before May, you had to notify airports if within 5 miles of them.

From May to July, hobbyists were grounded from flying in controlled airspace until they were finally brought into the LAANC system July 23rd.

Most of the restrictions will be along approach paths where you may be prohibited as far as 5 miles. Outside of the approach paths you could be allowed near the airport but with altitude restriction.
Many times the regional controlled spaces are more strict than major airport controlled spaces.

Reactions: dawgpilot
One of my favorite places at the beach at Lake Michigan is North West of the airport here. The two runways are North/South and South/West to North/East. So I am really "out of their way" and about 4-1/2 miles straight line to nearest runway.

One of my favorite places at the beach at Lake Michigan is North West of the airport here. The two runways are North/South and South/West to North/East. So I am really "out of their way" and about 4-1/2 miles straight line to nearest runway.

Do you happen to know what the airspace is you're flying in? Also what does the Facility Grid for that location allow as far as altitude limits?

I'm so glad they have the facilities grid map. Reduces the guess work to almost nil. It tends to be a bit overreaching though on the outside end of an approach path. 0 ceiling over 4 miles from the runway? Surely you can give me at least 100' and it probably would be safe to give me 200'. If a plane is that low, they have power lines to contend with.

Do you happen to know what the airspace is you're flying in? Also what does the Facility Grid for that location allow as far as altitude limits?
Well. From the grid I get: ID=ZMP, name=Minneapolis, Type=ARTCC, subtype=ARTCC_L, airspace is CIV.
If that means anything. Just greek to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman