DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nicaragua. Drones allowed?

Any luck? Going there in May, i have a Mavic as well. I also heard paying the guy off that helps you carry the luggage may work. Let me know if you tried, thanks!

A friend of mine is going there next week, I am going to ask to confirm how this really works, with the guys that help you carry luggage out without going thru the x-ray. I t may also help bringing it in a little back pack like the one I bought from Walmart, no one can really tell you are carrying a drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcedeno89
****- I wonder if I should just try. I'm heading down there next week for a week! I wonder if there is a way to make it less noticeable.

Keep us posted please on your trip there with the Mavic.

A friend of mine is going there next week, I am going to ask to confirm how this really works, with the guys that help you carry luggage out without going thru the x-ray. I may also help bringing it in a little back pack like the one I bought from Walmart, no one can really tell you are carrying a drone.

Awesome, let me know how that goes. I normally carry my camera, portable speaker and a change of clothes in my Tumi travel backpack. If the people that help carry luggage can slide through I'll make sure to include my backpack in the lot for them to carry lol the best of luck to him!

This is the back pack I used for my trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua, it is the perfect size for the Mavic. There is enough room for the Mavic, 4 Batteries, Remote Control, Wall Charger + Car Charger, Sun Hood, iPhone 7Plus, Polar Pro filters, Propellers, Memory cards, and yet small enough, It is inconspicuous

https://www.walmart.com/ip/37673373
OK here's the thing. I travel to nicaragua yearly and they don't let any luggage get past the XRAY. Not even if you pay them. It's basically a hit or miss. I also noticed that you crossed nicaragua by land. So that was a big plus. Security doesn't really care there. Where they get you is at the airport. But please do load the video footage you took. I'm probably going to risk taking my mavic too. When I say risk I will be traveling by air.

Here's a video of one of the churches in Granada - "Iglesia la Merced". The driver that was with us pulled up in front, I got out and set up the Mavic without trying to make it obvious. I only took a few seconds to check all of the manual settings for the video, installed the Polar Pro filter and launched from the side of the church. These are the situations in life when you don't have second chances for a video.

Last edited:
Here's a video of one of the churches in Granada - "Iglesia la Merced". The driver that was with us pulled up in front, I got out and set up the Mavic without trying to make it obvious. I only took a few seconds to check all of the manual settings for the video, installed the Polar Pro filter and launched from the side of the church. These are the situations in life when you don't have second chances for a video.

Nice video! Can't wait to see the rest of your nicaragua footage. I'm really eager to take my mavic.

Anymore nicargua footage?

If flying to Nicaragua, I heard that there are guys offering to help you carry the luggage out without going thru the x-ray scanner. A friend of mine brought a Phantom into Nicaragua that way, the Mavic should be a piece of cake.
As long as you feel that they wouldn't just walk off with your item that was important enough to pay to get it in the country, right around the x-ray and out the doors, thank you. My opinion, my Mavic cost too much.

I'm a photo journalist, a picture of my work is in the museum of the revolution in Managua, despite my good connections in the country my drone was confiscated upon entering the country and returned to me when I left....I fly in many countries...you can forget flying it in Nicaragua...one work around is a signed letter from the President's wife...I know her because we were on the border together during the contra wars...good luck...my advice don't even try to go to Nicaragua with a drone...I tried to get mine out to use it for a sea turtle migration before I left the country with the help of three diplomats...still no go...given the bureaucracy there is even a chance you would not get it back upon leaving the country!

This is unfortunate to read, was hoping to take mine on my next vacation back home.

I’m heading into Nica in a few days time from Costa Rica so will repost then. Thought I’d mention I’ve brought it through every South American country and up through into Central America from Panama and am yet to have an issue to date. Will let you know how I go in a few days time.

I’m heading into Nica in a few days time from Costa Rica so will repost then. Thought I’d mention I’ve brought it through every South American country and up through into Central America from Panama and am yet to have an issue to date. Will let you know how I go in a few days time.

I never had any problems with the Mavic when I was in Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia. I have to confess I was leery to bring it to Nica, coming thru Nicaragua's customs in Penas Blancas was uneventful. Happy to report the story has a happy ending.

Not that I want to contaminate this thread, next trip for the Mavic is in December to Puna Cana.

Reactions: Chadnovz
Hate being the bearer of bad news, but my mavic was seized at customs crossing the land border into Nica this morning. It was at Peñas Blancas as well but somehow they got me and just would not let me through, had to leave it there and collect on departure. Apparently there is a special permission you can get from somewhere in Managua, but I’ll have research more. Will attempt to free my bird in the coming days with some negotiating.

Hate being the bearer of bad news, but my mavic was seized at customs crossing the land border into Nica this morning. It was at Peñas Blancas as well but somehow they got me and just would not let me through, had to leave it there and collect on departure. Apparently there is a special permission you can get from somewhere in Managua, but I’ll have research more. Will attempt to free my bird in the coming days with some negotiating.
Good luck.

How did they see it?. I went thru Peñas Blancas in February this year, the Mavic was unnoticed.

Scanned my bag and must’ve seen it. She knew exactly what it was, even without blades attached. I think it’s just hit and miss as I seem to be only one on this thread whose been caught.

Scanned my bag and must’ve seen it. She knew exactly what it was, even without blades attached. I think it’s just hit and miss as I seem to be only one on this thread whose been caught.

Sorry about that Bro,

Yeah, I was going to say, cause I went thru there and no one scanned the little backpack where the Mavic was.

Sorry about that Bro,

Yeah, I was going to say, cause I went thru there and no one scanned the little backpack where the Mavic was.

Went back today and ‘made a few friends’ at the border, got my drone in now and all is well in my world once again. So the journey continues to Mexico.

For anyone following this post, can now add El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala as countries with no issues. I crossed through land borders across all 3 countries over the last 2 days and have had no issues. Just an FYI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin