DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nice Places to fly legally in Atlanta area or near by areas..Please help

Glad you liked the pictures Sueksh and wjkrysak. I do strive to fly within FAA flight restrictions and consider it a privilege to be able to fly the drone. I am anxious about flying over water though. I have DJI refresh but plan on getting State farm insurance soon. Thank you for participting in this forum.

Glad you liked the pictures Sueksh and wjkrysak. I do strive to fly within FAA flight restrictions and consider it a privilege to be able to fly the drone. I am anxious about flying over water though. I have DJI refresh but plan on getting State farm insurance soon. Thank you for participting in this forum.
Take your time, short fly overs, at altitude and you will get your courage up. I frequently fly over water, as it makes videos and pictures more interesting. I also look for fountains and waterfalls. I don't "skim" (few feet off the surface) the lake or river. I also have DJI refresh on all my quads. I have had to use it on my Mavic Air and the process was seamless. Enjoy your flying.

Reactions: Dino_D
Sorry, not familiar with that Lake. Give it a go and show us your view Thumbswayup

No, but I've been to Lake Lanier, which is closer to my Loganville, GA location. At any rate, my wife is recovering from knee replacement surgery. When I next get to any of these 2 spots (probably early fall), I'll grab a picture or take footage and post it here.

No, but I've been to Lake Lanier, which is closer to my Loganville, GA location. At any rate, my wife is recovering from knee replacement surgery. When I next get to any of these 2 spots (probably early fall), I'll grab a picture or take footage and post it here.
Hope your wife has safe, and timely recovery. We look forward to your view of the Lake. Enjoy your flying.

Acworth Beach at Cauble Park allows drones. I asked them this past weekend via Facebook, and they gave me an outright "Yes, drones are allowed."

These were listed by UAV Coach as the top 5 places to fly a drone in Atlanta:
The Best 5 Places to Fly a Drone in Atlanta (2020) | UAV Coach

Waterworks looks very close to downtown Atlanta. You may need permission to fly but I'm not sure.
I did see in Kitty hawk and also in Airmap as yellow advisory..(for sure cannot fly beyond may be 200 ft and away past 100 ft) but just 100ft is enough for a great skyline..!!!

I flew yesterday at Varner Lake and got these pics. As far as I can see, there are no flight restrictions in this area. It was a Sunday morning and there were very few people about.

Attachments

• DJI_0038.JPG
    DJI_0038.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 10
  • DJI_0033.JPG
    DJI_0033.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 8
  • DJI_0035.JPG
    DJI_0035.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Sudevan
I flew yesterday at Varner Lake and got these pics. As far as I can see, there are no flight restrictions in this area. It was a Sunday morning and there were very few people about.
It’s very good. Is this a park or just lake?

For those flying in Georgia, above ACoE of property and lakes, I'm pretty sure that is against their rules.

They have stated that taking off and landing from private property and then flying over is not allowed also, but they are not enforcing that rule unless you are a problem pilot.

Taking off and landing from ACoE property is still not allowed.

Some of these county parks are actually still on ACoE land, so it would be worth looking into to find out, before it becomes an issue.

I had this similar situation at a county park in Franklin, GA, not too long ago.

Here is just one article on the subject: New Drone Rules at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Lake Lanier - Unmanned Aerial

Jerry

Last edited:
For those flying in Georgia, above ACoE of property and lakes, I'm pretty sure that is against their rules.

They have stated that taking off and landing from private property and then flying over is not allowed also, but they are not enforcing that rule unless you are a problem pilot.

Taking off and landing from ACoE property is still not allowed.

Some of these county parks are actually still on ACoE land, so it would be worth looking into to find out, before it becomes an issue.

I had this similar situation at a county park in Franklin, GA, not too long ago.

Here is just one article on the subject: New Drone Rules at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Lake Lanier - Unmanned Aerial

Jerry
I had a drone photography gig around May this year near Lake Lanier and called up the USACE for clarification about their rules. The chief park ranger called me back and let me know that as long as I am taking off and landing from private property and flying in accordance with FAA regulations, there is no problem whatsoever.

I had a drone photography gig around May this year near Lake Lanier and called up the USACE for clarification about their rules. The chief park ranger called me back and let me know that as long as I am taking off and landing from private property and flying in accordance with FAA regulations, there is no problem whatsoever.

That's good to hear.

I had a DNR ranger stop me down around Franklin, and he had to call "somebody" to verify if it was legal or not. Turns out flying was perfectly legal, but I had taken of from a county park that was leased from the ACoE.

He just told me bring it in and land somewhere else. He was a nice guy, but was looking for something to do!!

Most of the areas around West point Lake where I would like to fly, are several hundred feet from the Corps land boundry.

I have a friend who has a house there, and we have to take off form his yard, 300' from the lake. It also "should" stop people from taking off/landing from the their boat, but I see it all the time.

Jerry

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhop786