DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night distance test

EnricoBrun

Reactions
Does the night affect the range performance of the remote control somehow? I noticed with my 2 Pro, in the open countryside at 4km I already had only 2 notches on the controller. I live in Italy, how do your drones behave?

As far as frequency range is concerned, the radios don't care if its night or day. Maybe there is something else causing some interference, but the lack of light isn't it.

Reactions: stresspro
It is not a question of how far they reached. It is a question of what DJI spec say - and for EU/CE that is max 5 km.

But lots of things can change wireless conditions.

But in any case you should not be so far away from your drone unless you have a spotter. You can't see if a small private plane or heli is coming towards your drone at that distance.

So from my perspective you are trying to ruin drone flying for the rest of us.

Italian rules; " Your drone must remain closer than 200 meters (650 feet) away from you, and max 70 meters (230 feet) high. " - I will agree the Italian rules are a quite on the strict side but....

It is not a question of how far they reached. It is a question of what DJI spec say - and for EU/CE that is max 5 km.

But lots of things can change wireless conditions.

But in any case you should not be so far away from your drone unless you have a spotter. You can't see if a small private plane or heli is coming towards your drone at that distance.

So from my perspective you are trying to ruin drone flying for the rest of us.

Italian rules; " Your drone must remain closer than 200 meters (650 feet) away from you, and max 70 meters (230 feet) high. " - I will agree the Italian rules are a quite on the strict side but....
we know the rules well! this 3ad is not created to talk about law, here I ask to talk about the performance of a drone!

No just a pilot of real air-planes as well as drones.. It got nothing to do with policing. To be honest it is not about what the law says. It is a judgement cal for some people. But night time flying without visual contact is just irresponsible. .

And it is the irresponsible parties who keeps getting us worse and worse laws and regulations.

Reactions: Peter Hughes
No just a pilot of real air-planes as well as drones.. It got nothing to do with policing. To be honest it is not about what the law says. It is a judgement cal for some people. But night time flying without visual contact is just irresponsible. .

And it is the irresponsible parties who keeps getting us worse and worse laws and regulations.
I also have a PPL-APTL license (H) but this does not work! this is a test post and performance, if you do not feel comfortable here you can very well not participate. No legal topics are needed here. Thank you

It is actually easier to keep visual contact at night. And if the drones keep below the altitude limits there are no problems at all.
I am also a licensed full size pilot.
And a bigger problem is the birds. Those damned things think they are allowed to fly at all times and all altitudes !!

Reactions: TR Ganey
It is actually easier to keep visual contact at night. And if the drones keep below the altitude limits there are no problems at all.
And a bigger problem is the birds. Those damned things think they are allowed to fly at all times and all altitudes !!
Ban Birds

Reactions: ViperPilot

Is night flying without visual contact any more or less irresponsible than daytime flying without visual contact.

I fly at both day and night (perfectly legal here in the UK) and I can see my drone much better at night - even the stock leds are highly effective out to 7-800m.

I always stick to the altitude ceiling so really don’t see what the issue is with it.

To the op, actually radio signals in general (although more usually in the HF range) propagate better at night. Night flying does not dimish range :)

As opposed to a licensed small size pilot? Lol

Reactions: dannybgoode
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu