DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flight in Controlled Airspace under 49 USC 44809

eEridani

Reactions
Having found lots of conflicting information on line, I finally took the time and asked the source.

Directly from the FAA:

==================================================================

Hello,

Currently, Recreational Flyers cannot fly in controlled airspace at night.

For further assistance please feel free to call us at (844)FLY-MY-UA (844-359-6982).

John
FAA UAS Support Center
844 FLY MY UA | 844-359-6982

==================================================================

Finally got to the bottom of this:

The FAA for some unexplained reason has told LAANC & DroneZone web managers / providers to NOT issue night approvals for recreational flights. The logic, reasoning, or rule behind this order is unknown. While I can understand they don't want the typical drone pilot that zooms past airplanes taking off or landing in the air anywhere near an airport at night, the order seems suspiciously arbitrary to me when part 107 pilots are being allowed after a short bit of training.

J.O. 7200.23C: 2-3. Night Operations.

Thanks for sharing

While I can understand they don't want the typical drone pilot that zooms past airplanes taking off or landing in the air anywhere near an airport at night, the order seems suspiciously arbitrary to me when part 107 pilots are being allowed after a short bit of training.
My guess is that the FAA probably looks at it similar to the rule that in some circumstances they'll let 107 pilots fly above 400 feet AGL when inspecting structures. They probably want you to have a certain level of training before letting you do as you please at night in specific classified airspace especially where LAANC is required. So if you want to do those things, you need to take that short bit of training and get your 107 certificate. I'm not 107 but it make sense to me anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000