FAA’s Remote ID Discretionary Enforcement Policy Ends March 16

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
digitalphotocreations.co

Do you have questions about Remote ID? We have answers!​

The FAA's policy for exercising discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action for drone operators who were not able to comply with the Remote ID Rule ends on March 16, 2024. Operators who do not comply after that date could face fines and suspension or revocation of their drone pilot certificates.​
Remote ID applies to drones which are required to be registered or have been registered with the FAA, including those flown for recreation, business, or public safety, and drones that are foreign-registered.

Why is Remote ID necessary?
Remote ID is necessary to ensure the safety and security of the national airspace system by distinguishing compliant airspace users from those potentially posing a safety or security risk. Remote ID also helps to lay the foundation for routine advanced operations such as package delivery and flying beyond visual line of sight.

What do I need to do?
There are three ways to comply with Remote ID:
1. Operate a Standard Remote ID Drone – a drone produced with built-in Remote ID broadcast capabilities; or
2. Operate a Drone with a Remote ID Broadcast Module – a device with Remote ID broadcast capabilities that can be attached to a drone; or
3. Operate at an FAA-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA) – areas where drones without Remote ID broadcast capabilities can operate.

How do I know if my drone or broadcast module is Remote ID compliant?
1. Go to the FAA UAS Declaration of Compliance website
2. Click on “View Public DOC List”
3. Filter by “RID” and “Accepted”
4. Search for your drone or broadcast module

My FAA-registered drone or broadcast module broadcasts Remote ID but is not on the Public DOC List, am I Remote ID compliant?
No, even if advertised as “Remote ID ready” or uses other verbiage, only drones or broadcast modules listed on the FAA DOC are in compliance with the rule.

Do I need to update my drone’s registration with Remote ID information?
If your drone or broadcast module is listed on the public DOC list, you need to register or update your existing drone registration through FAADroneZone to include the standard Remote ID drone or Remote ID broadcast module serial number. The Remote ID serial number is not the same as your drone’s serial number. Drone owners should check with their manufacturer for additional information.

Since recreational pilots only need to register once and can apply that registration number to multiple aircraft, they can list one Remote ID broadcast module serial number and move the broadcast module from drone to drone as long as it is listed on the same registration.

Part 107 pilots need to register each drone individually. Therefore, each drone must have its own Standard Remote ID or Remote ID broadcast module serial number.
Visit our Remote ID webpage to learn more about adding a Remote ID serial number to your drone’s registration.

Have more questions? We’re here to help at the UAS Support Center or call us at 844-FLY-MY-UA (844-359-6982).

For me, it's time to revisit my online registration and make sure my recreational inventory is complete and all RID details are listed. And also, to make sure my drones have RID stickers in addition to the registration stickers.

For me, it's time to revisit my online registration and make sure my recreational inventory is complete and all RID details are listed. And also, to make sure my drones have RID stickers in addition to the registration stickers.
"RID stickers", is that something you will be making to attach to your drone or is there somewhere you can have those made for the drones?

"RID stickers", is that something you will be making to attach to your drone or is there somewhere you can have those made for the drones?
Generally it's the responsibility of the drone manufacturer but it appears some of the models (or the older models) don't have them. Would love it if @pilotinstitute would modify their offering to include RID but ultimately I will probably have to make my own.

Generally it's the responsibility of the drone manufacturer but it appears some of the models (or the older models) don't have them. Would love it if @pilotinstitute would modify their offering to include RID but ultimately I will probably have to make my own.
Than you, I was curious if anyone was producing those yet. I will probably make my own then.

Reactions: mavic3usa
FYI, I just renewed my registration. Requested new stickers and the RID sticker IS now included. Thanks, Greg and PI!!!

FYI, I just renewed my registration. Requested new stickers and the RID sticker IS now included. Thanks, Greg and PI!!!
This is good to know. I checked their webpage again but I'm not seeing the box where you enter your RID number. All I can see is what I've used in teh past which is the FAA registration number, exp date, and ph #. Thoughts?

This is good to know. I checked their webpage again but I'm not seeing the box where you enter your RID number. All I can see is what I've used in teh past which is the FAA registration number, exp date, and ph #. Thoughts?

Just to clarify, the requirement appears to say all you need to do is label the drone which says "FAA Standard Remote ID Compliant" and that's it, there is no specific number or anything else to add.

Reactions: mobilehomer

FAA Ends Discretionary Enforcement Policy on Drone Remote Identification​

WASHINGTON- Pilots who operate drones that are required to be registered must comply with the Remote ID Rule.

In September 2023, the FAA issued a policy for exercising discretion in determining whether to take enforcement action for drone operators who were not able to comply with the Remote ID rule. That policy ends on March 16, 2024. Operators who do not comply after that date could face fines and suspension or revocation of their drone pilot certificates.

Congress directed the FAA to develop standards for remotely identifying operators and owners of drones and issue regulations or guidance based on those standards.

Remote ID lays the foundation of the safety and security groundwork needed for more complex drone operations. It acts like a digital license plate and will help the FAA, law enforcement and other federal agencies locate the control station when a drone appears to be flying in an unsafe manner or where it isn’t allowed to fly.

This video and this webpage provide additional information.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne