DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flights ?

Yeah make sure you know your surroundings. The sensors don't work in low light so it's down to gps to land and isn't as accurate so make sure you take off in an open area. I took of near a building once and when it was landing it tried to land on the roof lol . I had to fight to get it into a safe area. My bad!

Reactions: rickw
I flew at night. It was OK but nothing special IMO. Keeping focus and of course it's hard to see 'stuff' in the dark.

I'd recommend a day flight where you turn off all the sensors and fly around a bit. You'll see your Mavic move around more than usual but it's still easy to fly. That little bit of practice should at least make you more comfortable when you finally take off into the 'void'.

Finally - you could also design/fly Litchi mission in the daytime. Then - just run it again at night, sit back and enjoy the video.

T

A prosecutor has to charge you with a crime. There is no law against flying for recreation at night...Beyond a few hundred yards you will want an after-market set of lights like the STROBONs -- then you can go out a couple miles.

Compliance with AMA guidelines does not insulate anyone from prosecution under state and local laws governing trespass, invasion of privacy, nuisance, or reckless endangerment. That is all I am saying. As for the Strobons, thanks for the tip, will order tonight!

I would suggest being very comfortable navigating by your radar display first and the map second before flying at night. Flying at night can be great but it's only really interesting in the city lights or some other lit objects to look at. Going out into the wilderness and flying at night your pretty much going to be looking at a black screen. Also learn how to use manual focus and exposure for the best results at night. Still images can be exposed brighter than video with long exposures. Last thing is if you are into still photography and have a seperate camera and tripod you can use your mavic's LEDs to light paint with.

Reactions: Hexagon and rickw
I did quiet a lot of night flying...

and yes, the mavic drifts somewhat due to most of the sensors not working that well in the dark..

but still hand catch landing and all with no problems...I think it is safe as long as you fly higher than any obstacle in the vicinity

Reactions: rickw
Flying only under Part 101/AMA at this point, I can testify to the Strobons ability to keep your AC is sight at night. My issue is that I have all white Strobons for daytime use and I need to order some red and green ones so I can quickly see the orientation of the AC a night.

Just a tip for mounting the Strobons on the underside of the AC: you can use hot glue for low profile mounting. When you want to remove the light, use isopropyl alcohol to remove the Strobon and any residual dried hot glue.

Theo

In low light situations, most of the sensors that keep the Mavic stable do not operate.

This! Fly with alot of caution. I flew the night of July 4th to record the fireworks. Make sure you don't lose sight of the flashing lights.

Is the mavic harder to fly with sensors off? thanks everybody for your help
YES!
I.M.H.O. ALWAYS learn to fly any multirotor WITHOUT any sensors. IMU excluded of course ;)

Sorry about my post. I can't find where any rules or guidelines say you can't fly at night in general in the US. I know I've read this rule in certain community/town rules. This is good because night flying is fun and it's easier to see the drone.

I have some very tiny, powerful keychain-connectable Surefire flashlights that I connect connect to the drone, but I don't see the point of it when at altitudes above trees. My flashlights are more useful for pointing AT the drone from the ground so I can see my location on the drone camera at night. Not that I need to, but it's fun playing around in the dark.

Is the mavic harder to fly with sensors off? thanks everybody for your help
The sensors don't make it easier or harder to fly a drone. Their purpose is to make sure that the pilot doesn't fly into anything. Remember the Mavic has sensors only in front of it. Also, I don't think it's possible to turn the sensors off. Low light condition (night) just isn't the ideal condition for the sensors to function as they're supposed to. Just be careful :)

I have some very tiny, powerful keychain-connectable Surefire flashlights that I connect connect to the drone, but I don't see the point of it when at altitudes above trees. My flashlights are more useful for pointing AT the drone from the ground so I can see my location on the drone camera at night. .

Get thee some STROBEONs. These "landing lights" also make the Mavic visible for well over a 1/2 mile.

PGYTECH_NEW_Extended_Landing_Gear_Leg_Support_Protector_Extension_LED_Headlamp_set_Replacement_Fit_For_Mavic_Pro_australia_large.jpg

Would recommend that you contact the FAA or their facilities around your area and get the information directly from them in writing. What I was told verbally and in writing does not cite any guidelines regarding night flight. ZERO mention.

Now if those "guidelines" could have been used to deny my indefinite operations request on any given day at my location in urban CA, I'm pretty sure the FAA contact would have cited the specific guideline such as them telling me they could cite JO 7200.23A to deny my operation if they felt night flight was considered endangerment and such. Which they stated they would not.

You keep mentioning "Operation". Are you a 107 pilot? If so, You require a Daytime Operations Waiver to fly at night. They are not indefinite, usually for specified periods of time as with other waivers.

You keep mentioning "Operation". Are you a 107 pilot? If so, You require a Daytime Operations Waiver to fly at night. They are not indefinite, usually for specified periods of time as with other waivers.
Well, that's not totally accurate. It WOULD be the case if the flight was a commercial flight AND it was a night flight.

However, there is nothing that prevents a Part 107 certified pilot from flying under Part 101 rules at night as long as the flight is non-commercial and adheres to all other Part 101 regulations.

Theo

Flying only under Part 101/AMA at this point, I can testify to the Strobons ability to keep your AC is sight at night. My issue is that I have all white Strobons for daytime use and I need to order some red and green ones so I can quickly see the orientation of the AC a night.

Just a tip for mounting the Strobons on the underside of the AC: you can use hot glue for low profile mounting. When you want to remove the light, use isopropyl alcohol to remove the Strobon and any residual dried hot glue.

Theo

Rather than glue, use commercial grade Velcro, I have a small piece of the fabric side placed on the upper front edge and the rear of the MP (the strobes have the hook portion of the Velcro). Two reasons for the placement, the upper front is tilted upward and forward, so 1) the light does not reflect down towards the camera lens, 2) UAVs are flying 400" and below. Manned craft, with the exception of medevac, police, etc, helicopters are at 500" or above. So the front light will be projecting forward and upward, the direction making it easier to be spotted by manned aircraft. I used bright CREE Strobes, white on the front and Red on the rear. Both can easily be seen from the ground also allowing me to determine the location and direction of the MP.

Last edited:
Well, that's not totally accurate. It WOULD be the case if the flight was a commercial flight AND it was a night flight.

However, there is nothing that prevents a Part 107 certified pilot from flying under Part 101 rules at night as long as the flight is non-commercial and adheres to all other Part 101 regulations.

Theo

Thus my question if he was 107. He kept saying his operation. I was trying to determine if he was flying a commercial operation. And if he is 107, flying for rec or not, he should know about Daytime Waivers as it is part of his testing.

Thus my question if he was 107. He kept saying his operation. I was trying to determine if he was flying a commercial operation. And if he is 107, flying for rec or not, he should know about Daytime Waivers as it is part of his testing.

No, part 101 only.

Hey guys,are there any settings I should turn on or off for flying at night? Does the mavic handle as good at night? Just trying to cover my bases to avoid issues,thanks

One issue I have with the MP when flying during night time is it's very poor focusing of the camera. My P3A had better night focusing capabilities.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast