DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flights ?

Hey guys,are there any settings I should turn on or off for flying at night? Does the mavic handle as good at night? Just trying to cover my bases to avoid issues,thanks
I have flown at night many times. I don't use any special settings. I have not had any stability issues. The front lights turn off by default when video recording is on. There is a setting to control that if needed. The only thing to keep in mind is that the visual sensors are not effective in low light. That means collision avoidance doesn't work and there is no precision landing.

Reactions: rickw
One issue I have with the MP when flying during night time is it's very poor focusing of the camera. My P3A had better night focusing capabilities.
The camera is not very good at low light situations in general.

Reactions: Balko
Start watching at 7:22

Reactions: Randyp1234
NYPD has more important things to do than chase after drones with a flashlight

as long as you aren't bothering anyone, no one here seems to notice or care, at least that has been my experience

I would think after the Blackhawk incident they would be more vigilant. I also wouldn't be surprised if DJI geofenced the whole city in a future NFZ update... :rolleyes: Be careful, brother!

Will RTH still work at night if needed?

Yes, but the landing may be sketchy if the lighting isn't sufficient. If you do initiate RTH at night, I would be sure to cancel it when it gets close and land it manually.

Reactions: GooterFly68
Hey guys,are there any settings I should turn on or off for flying at night? Does the mavic handle as good at night? Just trying to cover my bases to avoid issues,thanks
I found this one online that could be a good option for night flights also looks to come with pretty cool landing gear:
DJI Mavic Pro Landing Gear with 2 LED Hand Lamps
you might want to look into your local flying regulations however as night flight are prohibited in a great deal of locations in North America.

I found this one online that could be a good option for night flights also looks to come with pretty cool landing gear:
DJI Mavic Pro Landing Gear with 2 LED Hand Lamps
you might want to look into your local flying regulations however as night flight are prohibited in a great deal of locations in North America.
Actually night flights are permitted the same as anywhere that is permitted during the day. Follow FAA regularions and you are fine. However, if you are conducting a commercial flight under your Part 107, then lights are required.

Here is another. I really appreciate your constructive criticism.

Heaps better.. Try cinematic function (won’t work in sports mode). This can be used instead of manual camera settings. ISO was good. Cinematic will just take the edge off when you yaw. It will slow to a stop rather than an instant stop. Experiment with your functions. When your about 20ft away from an object, tripod mode is great too.
Keep them coming. Love night shots but I’m in a rural area. Not much at night to see. Maybe I could strap some torches to cows.

****,didn't want to start a legal battle,just want to fly at night,lol.Thanks again guys for all your help,might try tonight if wind calms down
How did it go?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark