DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

night flying uk

mavic53

Reactions
tried to take off with my mavic 2 zoom in uk and it said ambient light too weak and the motors would not start

There should be a continue anyway kind of option. That said, unless you’re flying with a CAA permission it’s currently not legal to fly at night. You’ll have to wait until the laws change at the end of the month.

Ambient light weak just means the collision sensors aren't active. It doesn't/shouldn't prevent take off ( mine certainly doesnt)

Ambient light weak just means the collision sensors aren't active. It doesn't/shouldn't prevent take off ( mine certainly doesnt)
Right thanks I shall have to look further into it. Certainly no attempt to start the motors worked.

Are u in a Restricted Zone?
Ah I think that may be the key I was in a restricted zone. Although according to the DJI map I am not in the zone. However when videoing in the daytime at the same place I get a notification only that I am in an outer restricted zone. The aircraft still starts up. I can only assume that at night time the rules are more stringently applied. With GPS not a problem for the computer inside the Mavic. A shame but I am not complaining safety is the key.

Rules dont change day to night (neither do DJIs restrictions).

Check your location on here:- Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI
That is the map that will stop motor start and takeoff whilst inside a restricted area.

Then check the *correct* UK restrictions here:-
DJI's map doesnt know the official rules and restrictions some will sometimes allow flight in a banned area and vice-versa.
Definitely never, ever rely on the drone/DJI itself telling you if you can or cant fly in an area!

I've flown my M2Z in the dark no problem?
They all fly in the dark. The refusal to start would be unrelated to darkness.

Either its in a restriction zone or something else stops its checks such as lack of GPS, IMU/Compass errors or something.

Appreciate all the replies it looks like "finger trouble " to me. I shall first try in the dark later on in my garden which is not in any zone. According to the link sent me I was not in any outer zone either when trying to fly the drone.

They all fly in the dark. The refusal to start would be unrelated to darkness.

Either its in a restriction zone or something else stops its checks such as lack of GPS, IMU/Compass errors or something.
I’ve had warnings on mine about it being dark. Can be overridden though.

just did a night check with my M2Z and it flies OK in the dark absolutely no problem. I made an error somewhere. In case it helps others here is a check list .

1. took drone in garden on Thursday daylight perfect operation
2. Saturday two days later at night tried to connect to drone with smart controller
3. No movement from drone despite switching off and on.
4. Sunday one day later took drone into garden in daylight .
5. When switching on Smart controller I got the indication to connect to a drone. I then had to go through the connect with smart controller protocol.
6. This I did and connected satisfactorily and drone flew fine in daylight.
7. later on same day took drone out at night controller connected satisfactorily and the drone flew with no problem.

Something happened between 1 and 2 that caused the Smart controller to lose connection with Drone. I will re read the manual and make sure I am connecting to the drone correctly.

Once again thanks for all the feedback most helpful

One thing ive noticed with the latest SC upgrade is the irritating "Connect" on the main screen until drone is on.
Previous firmware this was just a Go Fly link to load Go4.

Workarounds are make sure drone is on before the controller has booted and the link changes to just normal Go4 OR go into the app draw and launch Go4 manually via that instead.

(If you managed a flight today you've got better weather than here - we'd need an ROV)

One thing ive noticed with the latest SC upgrade is the irritating "Connect" on the main screen until drone is on.
Previous firmware this was just a Go Fly link to load Go4.

Workarounds are make sure drone is on before the controller has booted and the link changes to just normal Go4 OR go into the app draw and launch Go4 manually via that instead.

(If you managed a flight today you've got better weather than here - we'd need an ROV)
I think you have cracked it . Most definitely I switched the controller on first and got the connect up indication first. If you click on that you have to go through the operation of connecting again.

Im unsure thats the cause - if the drone wasnt connected you wouldnt have got the message about low ambient light.

The blue zones are authorization zones which can be unlocked. That's more common than red restricted zones which need documentation given to DJI to unlock.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000