DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night flying?

So... If I am on private property, not flying over about, say, 200ft, with a Fire strobe, other than making sure my home point is set, etc, I should be able to fly my M2Z? I am going to have my open fireplace blazin' and I want to see what it looks like from the air at night.

So... If I am on private property, not flying over about, say, 200ft, with a Fire strobe, other than making sure my home point is set, etc, I should be able to fly my M2Z? I am going to have my open fireplace blazin' and I want to see what it looks like from the air at night.

Currently, in the USA there is no rules against a Recreational UAS flying at night so long as you're adhering to all other rules & regulations (airspace etc) unless you are following a set of CBO rules that forbid it (which you're not).

Reactions: drone_dh
Silly question regarding stobes, being Firehouse or any other brand....

I don't do night flying other than an experiment here or there, or just going straight up a couple hundred feet in my backyard to "take a look around". I tried a "cheaper" strobe, but found it blinding when trying to get it up in the air.... couldn't look at the drone without "seeing stars".

Are there any stobes that minimize this.... maybe not turn on other than a remote feature or some delay type feature that gives 30 seconds or so to get it away from yourself a bit before coming on? And no, "don't look at it" isn't the answer I'm looking for.....LOL

Suggestions.... thoughts how to overcome?

Thanks!

Reactions: drone_dh
I could not agree more... I took the Pilot Institute Night Flying course, and it goes on about getting used to the dark. I did a night flight here at my house this past weekend and the Firehouse strobe I bought just about made my vision unuseable, lol. I did not look directly at it, got a green flashlight for all the prep, then turned that baby on and it was all for naught, even without looking directly at it. A delay would be a VERY good idea, if nothing else to be able to walk away from the drone/strobe keeping my vision tuned to the dark.... I'm hoping to hear some good answers to this one!

Just been out in back garden for crafty smoke and noticed that it's a beautiful clear sky with full moon quite low in the sky, was tempted to launch MA2 up to 400' and see if I could get some atmospheric pics of moon with village lights below, however 2 things prevented me:
1 - I've never flown a drone at night, so a bit nervous..
2 - Not sure if MA2 camera is up to it as I've read somewhere that it doesn't fare well in low light conditions
Any thoughts?
Hey PaulUK,

I totally get your concerns about flying at night, especially if it's a new thing for you. It's smart to be cautious and aware of what you're getting into.

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Is it legal to fly a drone at night in the UK? Yep, it's all good to fly your drone at night in the UK, as long as you stick to the rules set by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Keep it below 400 feet, always keep it in your sight, and avoid airports and restricted zones.

2. Do you need anti-collision strobes for nighttime drone fun in the UK? They aren't a must, but I'd strongly recommend using anti-collision strobes for your drone at night. They help others see your drone and reduce the chances of accidents.

3. Is the Mavic Air 2 camera any good for low light shots? The Mavic Air 2 camera isn't perfect in low light, but it can still snap some decent shots. Just bump up the ISO, consider using a tripod or something stable to avoid blurry pics.

And here are a few extra tips for night flying:

- Go for well-lit areas.
- Watch out for obstacles like trees, power lines, and buildings.
- It's super helpful to have a buddy keeping an eye on your drone.
- Take it slow and steady.
- Always be ready to land if things get dicey.

You can check this article here as well: Can You Fly DJI Air 2s At Night? A Comprehensive Guide - SK Best Gadgets

If you decide to take your drone out at night, my advice is to start in a place you know well with good lighting. Once you're comfortable, you can gradually push the limits and explore more challenging spots. Have fun!

^Is this an example of AI scooping up all the knowledge on a particular topic from the internet and then responding to a super old post by automatically posting a "comprehensive" article while cleverly concealing all the elements of spam? I'm starting to see more and more of these lately.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143