DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flying?

Sctcorolla

Reactions
Hello fellow enthusiasts. Any thoughts or experience in night flying with the Mavic? I fly a lot at night with my P3P but wanted to get your thoughts before I take the Mavic up at night coz it has different positioning sensors.

Sent from my XT1585 using MavicPilots mobile app

I fly my MP at night all the time. The only thing to watch for is when you start the video. When you hit the record button the red lights turn off automatically. At first it threw me off a little. Otherwise no problem. The MP is incredibly stable.

Only thing I've noticed is when landing it doesn't do nearly as good a job at slowing down before it hits the ground, so just keep an eye on it when landing. In daylight you can pretty much just hold the left stick down until it's on the ground but in the dark it will smack the ground pretty hard if you do that.

Also, not just when landing at night when the downward optical sensors functionality are not optimal or reliable, but the forward optical sensors for obstacle avoidance may also be handicapped with low light, or may not work at all as intended. So you can't really rely on obstacle avoidance when flying at night. I've clipped a tree branch at night flying forward right into it with obstacle avoidance on. The Mavic just didn't see it and neither did I. Luckily, I was only about 15 feet of the ground and the Mavic somehow recovered and miraculously did not crash. I did damaged a prop though.

Just so you know, in advanced settings you can change the settings so the red lights stay on. Threw me off too the first time I flew at night. I rely on those for vlos at night.

Just so you know, in advanced settings you can change the settings so the red lights stay on. Threw me off too the first time I flew at night. I rely on those for vlos at night.

Is there a way to keep the red lights on while recording? They seem to cut out even though the front led light setting is on in advanced setting.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Some intresting reading.

I had the same with the landing, I almost had a very very hard landing.

Then the obstacle avoidance, I noticed when I fly in ine dirction and then turn around, the Mavic looks like it loose its sensing and direction, almost like it gets confused for a few seconds.. Then all back to nomal.

The red lights, helps with situational awarness, but it dos turn off, I am trying to see under what conditions they stay on....

Rgs
Scalci

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope