DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night footage + LED lights

FWD

Reactions
Hello.
Can't find this info anywhere in the Forum, so...
Is there a way to turn the navigation lights off on the Air 2s?
It spoils night footage.

In the USA, it is my understanding that you can't legally fly at night without them.

Is there a way to turn the navigation lights off on the Air 2s?
It spoils night footage.
In the USA, it is my understanding that you can't legally fly at night without them.

Are the standard leds on the MA2 strong enough to be seen for the FAA requirements (3 miles) anyway ?

Some (all ?) DJI drones have the option to turn off front leds when taking a photo, but not video as far as I am aware.

Funny you are having trouble though, as MANY here use strobes, and they are much stronger light intensity, and they report no effect on video or photos.

Reactions: Thomas B
Never had them visible unless there was a lot of dust in the air or Very high humidity.. like o fog.

Are the standard leds on the MA2 strong enough to be seen for the FAA requirements (3 miles) anyway ?

Some (all ?) DJI drones have the option to turn off front leds when taking a photo, but not video as far as I am aware.

Funny you are having trouble though, as MANY here use strobes, and they are much stronger light intensity, and they report no effect on video or photos.

Better than NONE at all.. lol

Better than NONE at all.. lol

Obviously not then, as expected.
Was merely asking due to the reply of yours "In the USA, it is my understanding that you can't legally fly at night without them." having no real bearing on their night flight legality.

I'm mostly just curious what sort of interference the std lights are giving them.

Was merely asking due to the reply of yours "In the USA, it is my understanding that you can't legally fly at night without them." having no real bearing on their night flight legality.

I'm mostly just curious what sort of interference the std lights are giving them.
You completely missed my point. The OP of wanted to know how to turn off the lights for a night flight. None at all is completely what one should NOT do. Go to the FAA website to find out how to fly at night legally.

You completely missed my point. The OP of wanted to know how to turn off the lights for a night flight. None at all is completely what one should NOT do. Go to the FAA website to find out how to fly at night legally.

Yes, I did get your point, you posted . . .

But it matters not to FAA night flight requirements, if you run no lights or standard drone LEDs.
Sure, something is better than nothing . . . you didn't post that . . . 'something' would be useful mostly for very close in visibility / orientation for drone pilot use, totally useless for other aircraft to see clearly and at distance.

The FAA site clearly states for night flying anti collision lights should have 3nm visibility of white, red, green lighting (for orientation), with a strobing light output.

From some test study papers . . .
https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/p...52_responses/media/107_29_for_section_352.pdf
Other . . .

This post was asking about turning off the OEM LEDs on the aircraft at night due to interference in photos / video.
The OP is obviously not using strobes if they are having trouble with standard drone LEDs.

Not yet established whether photo or video or both, and not yet clarified what the problem is.
I'd suggest it's probably either night fog / mist, or dust in the air, or being close enough to the subject that the LEDs are visible on the subject.
Maybe it's street lighting and a night filter would help ? (If made for the Air2S.)

You can turn off the front red ones on a M2 series with a manual toggle irreverent of video or stills. With another toggle setting for auto off on just the stills & video when recording starts? Hard to believe DJI got rid of this function. But as said unless really low and close to something, dust or high humidity I never really see them. I have a night strobe (FAA Compliant) and I don't see that in my footage either..unless the same conditions apply, which just makes footage crap anyway.

Last edited:

I blame it on the high humidity.
I'm recording video over water, on a beach, in Brazil.
I can see clearly the green flashes of the front lights.
Maybe just use some tape?

I blame it on the high humidity.
I'm recording video over water, on a beach, in Brazil.
I can see clearly the green flashes of the front lights.
Maybe just use some tape?

Yep, if nothing in settings to turn off front LEDs (like some previous model DJI drones, manual should mention it if so), then some black tape should do the trick.
At least you will still have rear lights to help keep and eye on it, and your map.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying