DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No crash gimbal not working at all

Abady

Reactions
Hi
I had my drone since May 2017 .. Never crashed or dropped the mavic .. But the gimbal not working at all .. It's not dancing when you start it and there is no video at all .. The screen is black ...
It started with too much shaking ( jello) a day before .. Then next day it fly showing the video on screen but not recording and not moving at all
After restart it stopped working at all
No any error msg no overload or overheat msg .. Controller shows gimbal working normally ..
I thought maybe the gimbal power cable is disconnected .. I removed the cover and checked every thing is ok no sign of any torne cables
I'm in middle of my family vacation and recording almost daily or every second day
I'm in turkey right now ..
Any suggestions ???? Any ideas what to do ???

Last edited:
Odd that you had video feed but couldn't record.

If possible, post pics of cables.

Might be a software problem, so I'd definitely try reinstalling the fw

I have almost identical gimbal/camera problem, except go4 app shows two errors: camera sensor error and hardware malfunction....
Again, no crash no hard landing, on third battery, landed by hand-catch, put MP on landing pad and wanted to take off again then got these two errors. Go4 app screen shows no video feed, gimbal has no startup dance. Spent over 20 hours trying to refresh firmware, contacted tech support, online chat..... they want me send it in for repair..... I expect more people will starting get similar issue, the issue might be the gimbal ribbon

Syc12
How old is your drone ?? How often do you use it ..???
6 months old, probably close to 100 flights.
In general, during the first 6 months of MP ownership, I had ZERO hardware problem, but endless software issues. Lately DJI has brought their softwares into much better shape. Just when I started to enjoy flying, this seems to be hardware problem emerging.....

Last edited:
6 months old, probably close to 100 flights.
In general, during the first 6 months of MP ownership, I had ZERO hardware problem, but endless software issues. Lately DJI has brought their softwares into much better shape. Just when I started to enjoy flying, this seems to be hardware problem emerging.....

Any update from your side ??
I'm not able to do any thing until I reach Istanbul ..

Time start clicking....
I'll mail it out Tuesday
If it were covered by warranty, it would be back most likely with different SN# and I would have no any clue which part was replaced. If DJI want me to paid the $$, I will let you know

Try doing a camera reset from inside the camera settings. Sometimes that will do the trick. Then do a full system reset. I would follow up with re-installing the firmware for both the controller and the Mavic, using DJI Assistant 2. If none of this does the trick, then you probably have a hardware failure, unfortunately.

Try doing a camera reset from inside the camera settings. Sometimes that will do the trick. Then do a full system reset. I would follow up with re-installing the firmware for both the controller and the Mavic, using DJI Assistant 2. If none of this does the trick, then you probably have a hardware failure, unfortunately.
I have done all the steps you suggested except the attempt to reinstall the firmware for MP were always stuck/failed at 70% in updating stage. Cannot downgrade either. Reinstalling firmware for controller was successful.

The ribbon cable needs replacing.
The folds and vibration over time disrupts the cables conductive elements even if to the eye it appears to be in good condition.

Reactions: SYC12
Thank you Enigma. I followed your posts from two different threads and have convinced me the origin of the issue. I just want a quick warranty repair from DJI.

Thank you Enigma. I followed your posts from two different threads and have convinced me the origin of the issue. I just want a quick warranty repair from DJI.
I decided to swap out my cable myself on my third mavic, all good so far

Good for you. I am fully aware of the option available. I see you have three Mavics, that's really telling me something. I might going for my second one, that's depend....

I have done all the steps you suggested except the attempt to reinstall the firmware for MP were always stuck/failed at 70% in updating stage. Cannot downgrade either. Reinstalling firmware for controller was successful.
Did you try using DJI Assistant to do the upgrade? This does the download and flash as separate steps. Sounds though like you are going to be sending it back - good luck!

Did you try using DJI Assistant to do the upgrade? This does the download and flash as separate steps. Sounds though like you are going to be sending it back - good luck!
Thanks. I was using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic as well as for Spark to refresh the firmware as recommended by Tech Support. Neither work.

I've been upgrading with DJI Assistant 2 since I purchased in March. The DJI GO app failed, so I switched over early to DJI Assistant 2 where I can get a better look at what version is loaded in each device.

When you say both failed - do you mean both the Mavic and the Sparc? Did they fail during the download or when uploading to the drone? If the second, try turning the drone off when you connect USB, and swap the cable.

I have always successfully upgraded firmwares through WiFi & GO4 app. So never bother using Assistant 2. Very strange you are in the other way around. In my case, I have to use Assistant 2 because I have already had updated firmwares. Need to use Assistant 2 to "set factory default", "refresh", then "Upgrade" or "downgrade" to specific version of firmware. In the process of upgrading firmware, the first two steps of "downloading" and "transmitting" were always reach to 100%, but the last step of "upgrading" was always stuck/failed at 70%.

Reactions: geigy
Not bad. Eight days after I dropped off the package, I got a response from DJI ......
Free repair as a courtesy because gimbal ribbon cable warranty has just expired. Well my MP is only 7 months old.

To Abady, Talk to DJI CS and make sure if they can accept warranty repair if MP cover was opened, maybe DIY is a better option

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15