DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No gps

A bit more info would be helpful

Waiting for better weather to try and fly again. Started up and got 17 satellites but got ATTI mode only.
I turned off and on again and tried flying, but gave up because it was drifting badly in light winds.
Thinking about it, the concrete area I was trying to take off from might have had steel reinforcement beneath.
Would this cause lack of GPS mode. Thank you in advance.

I am just guessing here from what I have seen and learned about GPS units, but this is what I think happens here.

Generally, anything under the receiver won't affect GPS, but metal or leaves or rock or wood between the GPS and the sky will.

The screen displays for Litchi and DJI GO may be slightly different but the way GPS works internally is the same for both.

The satellite count is how many satellites the GPS/GLONASS receiver has seen however briefly in the sky. Once you've seen a satellite, you need to capture a set amount of data from that satellite to learn its detailed orbit information (they call this 'ephemeris'). Capturing the ephemeris takes about 30 seconds for each satellite found, but the receiver can process multiple satellites in parallel.

GPS needs to know the full ephemeris for 4+ satellites, so about 30 seconds after the fourth satellite is seen, as long as those four are still visible in the sky, you should be able to calculate your worldly coordinates. I know less about GLONASS but I think it also needs to know similar data. This is where I think we shift from 7 or less (YELLOW GPS MODE) to 8 or more (GREEN GPS MODE).

The problem is the software is showing satellites in the number on the screen before the receiver has full ephemeris. I have definitely seen 14 satellites quickly (maybe 9 GPS and 5 GLONASS, maybe 7 and 7) but still had a YELLOW GPS MODE. This is not ready for flight.

I always wait for 8 satellites plus at least 45 seconds. This gives a nice GREEN GPS MODE and you're likely to see 9 or 10 or 15 satellites in a few seconds. Only then will I take off.

Reactions: Terry Rodell
Thank you halley.

"I have definitely seen 14 satellites quickly (maybe 9 GPS and 5 GLONASS, maybe 7 and 7) but still had a YELLOW GPS MODE. This is not ready for flight".

I had Green GPS mode for about 2 seconds and then back to ATTI.

Thank you halley.

"I have definitely seen 14 satellites quickly (maybe 9 GPS and 5 GLONASS, maybe 7 and 7) but still had a YELLOW GPS MODE. This is not ready for flight".

I had Green GPS mode for about 2 seconds and then back to ATTI.
GPS Satellites count doesn't say much. If you flown, I'd like to look at the flight data.

Hello there, i just bought my mavic pro. I placed the battery connected the phone and opened the app. So the problem is, there is no gps and can't take off. I tried inside and outside. Can someone tell me how to solve this. Thank youScreenshot_20170219-001503.jpg

If you can't get any gps outdoors and you are in an open area and have waited a few minutes with nothing over top of the back of the Mavic ( where GPS receiver is locked), time to contact support and probably send it back. Even in my house I get a gps lock.

Reactions: Randy
Thank you. I figured out what was wrong. It was the gps that wasn't working on my phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark