DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No video after crash

ruggb

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro that got too friendly with a tree. It recorded 22 min of video sitting in the tree, then got blown to the ground. In the process the gimble wires were ripped apart. I have replaced the wires and broken gimble mount, and most things appear to be working, but I have no video. I have rechecked all the connectors and everything looks OK.
If it was blown to the ground while it was still powered, which the video does not show, then ripping the wires apart might have caused the no video issue, as in a short to something that should not have been shorted.
Otherwise, I have no clue where to go from here. Anyone have a similar situation that was solved?

I have a Mavic Pro that got too friendly with a tree. It recorded 22 min of video sitting in the tree, then got blown to the ground. In the process the gimble wires were ripped apart. I have replaced the wires and broken gimble mount, and most things appear to be working, but I have no video. I have rechecked all the connectors and everything looks OK.
If it was blown to the ground while it was still powered, which the video does not show, then ripping the wires apart might have caused the no video issue, as in a short to something that should not have been shorted.
Otherwise, I have no clue where to go from here. Anyone have a similar situation that was solved?
Likely the vid was not closed by the drone. Try starting the drone and then stopping the video.

Reactions: dirkclod
Maybe more was messed up than the ribbon and if you hit hard enough to tear up the gimbal mount maybe you damaged the
camera .If you replaced the ribbon it is possible you got a bad one.
Then again if the camera goes through the start up movements
you would think it was a good one. You say ..most things seem to be working.. what else doesn’t look right ?

Reactions: Luis Amparo
I have compass #1 disconnected and when I calibrate the compass it says it completed but I still have a warning on the app and the controller is telling me there is a system error to check the app.
Gimble calibration completes OK. It went into video mode once but won't switch now. I reset the camera settings
The SD card has been reformatted so I don't know how that affects the completed video. The last file recorded is smaller than the previous 2 or 3.
The gimble itself looks OK. One arm had a cracked hinge. that was replaced. Actually, it looks like the other one is also cracked, but it is functional.
It seems like the majority of the damage to the gimble was from branches ripping it out, then it landed on the arm.
The mount was broken where all mounts break and a couple bushings were torn.

? Yeah sounds like it took a fall. Just throwing a rock now but
read a thread where it was a similar issue and they took the card out.
Left it out and started it up and it fixed it. ?‍♂️
Won’t cost nothing to try.
As far as your video Tom was I believe referring getting the video back like when you power off while still videoing. You can power back on and it will close. Then you have the video. If you have reformatted
the card already the video is gone.

I'm not concerned about the video. Since the last one was short, I assume it was closed. Otherwise, it would have been the same length as the others. It is just video of the tree blowing in the wind.
I updated the f/w but that didn't help. Why is one compass disconnected? Is that a clue? When I move the AC around the gimble appears to be following the movements. Even the proximity sensors seem to work. I have not tried flying it yet.
It is either the camera or the i/o card since everything else seems to be working. I just hate to buy them on a guess. Any way to test either? It is a new cable, but it guess it could still be defective.

Compass wire might have came disconnected. Have seen them messed up in phantoms but not had a Mavic’s in my hands .
Not sure I get you on video being short you said 22 minutes but
no mater. As far as testing I am of no use I send my crashes to
our repair vender. These Mavic’s way differant than what I’m used to jumping in. We need someone with way more knowledge than me to chime in. Maybe @Drone Master could advise you.

It records in 9-10min segments. The first 3 are about 4GB, the last one is 1.1GB
If I knew where to look for signals I might be able to figure something out. But as small as things are, that may not be realistic.

It is normal for video files to be no bigger than 4GB. The number of minutes per file depends on resolution, frame rate and encoding chosen. The last file in the set will undoubtedly be less than 4GB.

Let's clarify some things:
Are you getting live video feed to the app? If yes, then gimbal/camera connections should be good. If they were bad, you'd probably get NO video, in which case SD card is irrelevant. You can't record video if there's no video data to record.

Even the latest model Mavic does not automatically close the video file when you gracefully power down the AC while recording is still engaged. The main file will be near its normal length with all the video information in it. However the header and wrapper data is not appended, so players won't know what to do with the video data. If nothing was touched on the card and AC not powered on without that card, then powering the AC with that card will properly close that file. If not, then the file can still be manually fixed with some application tools.

Dan I gathered he had no FPV / just back screen from the op then
we got off on the last video . Maybe I have read this all wrong.

Sorry folks for the confusion. The video issue was to define that it worked b4 the crash and that it closed the last file b4 it fell to the ground. IE, it was still in the tree at the end of that file indicating that it was unpowered when it fell. I can also play that file. The issue of closing the file came up as a fix, but that isn't the problem based on the above and everything has been reset.
It is either a bad replacement cable = less likely as it was new but it wasn't an easy replacement. A bad replacement job = I check it a few times and all connectors seem solid. A bad i/o board = maybe due to cable wires shorting out at crash time, but the last file indicates the power went off b4 falling so there would be nothing (voltage) to short. A bad camera module = no physical damage appears so what might have happened to it?

Reactions: JohnnyD913
thx - I may just part it out. The camera is $60. and the forward sensor control board is $60. So far I spent about $40. on it. This is an academic project. I inherited this from the guy who crashed it. I have an M2Z myself.

Reactions: dirkclod
thx - I may just part it out. The camera is $60. and the forward sensor control board is $60. So far I spent about $40. on it. This is an academic project. I inherited this from the guy who crashed it. I have an M2Z myself.
Way I started out with my Phantoms but didn’t call it a academic project . More like I better get this thing fixed before the wife see‘s
i messed up again. ?

I hear ya. Wife is complaining that it has been sitting on the kitchen table for months since I replaced the cable. At first, I just rcvd the AC with battery. So I could only control it with WiFi. After I bought props and a charger, the guy brought me 2 batteries, the controller, props and a charger. So I updated the f/w. At least now I have something to sell.
It was a challenge to replace the cable, but now it is getting pricey and it is an unknown. It is not like I need this since I have an M2Z. Only someone who has had a similar crash might be able to shed some light on this. But so far what I have read does not work for me.

I have compass #1 disconnected and when I calibrate the compass it says it completed but I still have a warning on the app and the controller is telling me there is a system error to check the app.
Gimble calibration completes OK. It went into video mode once but won't switch now. I reset the camera settings
The SD card has been reformatted so I don't know how that affects the completed video. The last file recorded is smaller than the previous 2 or 3.
The gimble itself looks OK. One arm had a cracked hinge. that was replaced. Actually, it looks like the other one is also cracked, but it is functional.
It seems like the majority of the damage to the gimble was from branches ripping it out, then it landed on the arm.
The mount was broken where all mounts break and a couple bushings were torn.
Most likely the connector left disconnected when you placed top half of body on.

Compass 1 is the back
Compass 2 in the front.

l just changed my camera out (as a unit) and front sensors which work fine now but had the compass1 deal. Said complete but kept saying to calibrate afterwards and check app.

Was the wire connection I left off.

Did this 6 days ago and very fresh on my mind.

Most likely the connector left disconnected when you placed top half of body on.

Compass 1 is the back
Compass 2 in the front.

l just changed my camera out (as a unit) and front sensors which work fine now but had the compass1 deal. Said complete but kept saying to calibrate afterwards and check app.

Was the wire connection I left off.

Did this 6 days ago and very fresh on my mind.
Thanks, that is probably it. I did replace parts of the arms in the back.

that's it.......easy to miss

Last edited:
OK a little progress. both compasses work and are calibrated. Forward vision sensor is a problem obviously, since I have no video.
It also is not writing anything to a file on the SD card, if that is a clue. I snapped a couple picures, but no file written. Seems like it should have created a file even with no video.

Sorry folks for the confusion. The video issue was to define that it worked b4 the crash and that it closed the last file b4 it fell to the ground. IE, it was still in the tree at the end of that file indicating that it was unpowered when it fell. I can also play that file. The issue of closing the file came up as a fix, but that isn't the problem based on the above and everything has been reset.
It is either a bad replacement cable = less likely as it was new but it wasn't an easy replacement. A bad replacement job = I check it a few times and all connectors seem solid. A bad i/o board = maybe due to cable wires shorting out at crash time, but the last file indicates the power went off b4 falling so there would be nothing (voltage) to short. A bad camera module = no physical damage appears so what might have happened to it?
Try replacing the video cable.
U said u replaced gimbal ribbon cable so now replace the video cable.
I had a bad one once, everything worked but camera was fuzzy..
Replaced it and all better..

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato