DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Non DJI power supply - charging experience?

alex_markov

Reactions
Site
alexmarkov.eu
Is anybody using Non DJI power supply? And if yes, how fast do batteries charge, what power You use?
I am asking as it's USB C power supply and there wide variety on the market.

Reactions: RSDonovan
I am using a Dell power supply. It's run better than the DJI one.

IMG_8264 (1).jpg

There were mentions that M3 direct to drone can take 85W charging. Just be careful - there are reports of some Chinese power supplies catching fire.
I do not recommend charge the battery thru the drone. I always charge batteries outside the drone because that same reason. Even a bad cable can make contact and fry your electronics.

I just purchased three of these to build a battery case as I did for the Phantom 4 Pro. I plan to use the same Harbor Freight case but have three of the DJI Battery Charging Hubs.

I will report back with how they work.

IMG_4426.jpg

Reactions: alex_markov
Amazon just delivered Anker power supply, it does not Fast Charge the M3 batteries. I should have looked closer at the specs - the 60-watt rating is for the A and C ports combined. It does charge but at a slower rate.

Will keep looking, or wait for the official (expensive) DJI 65W Portable Charger to become avaialble.

Anker Specs
PIQ 3.0 (USB-C Port): 5V⎓2.4A / 9V⎓3A / 15V⎓3A / 20V⎓2.25A (Up to 45W)

DJI Specs
USB-C: 5.0 V⎓5.0 A / 9.0 V⎓5.0 A / 12.0 V⎓5.0 A / 15.0 V⎓4.3 A / 20.0 V⎓3.25 A / 5.0~20.0 V⎓3.25 A

I just purchased three of these to build a battery case as I did for the Phantom 4 Pro. I plan to use the same Harbor Freight case but have three of the DJI Battery Charging Hubs.

I will report back with how they work.

View attachment 138995

The dell does the same. I charge the controller with the DJI one and use the Dell for the drone batteries

If we can find a aftermarket charger with at least 200W we can charge [email protected] x3 ports (195W technicality will make it)

I do not recommend charge the battery thru the drone. I always charge batteries outside the drone because that same reason. Even a bad cable can make contact and fry your electronics.
This is why DJI shouldnt force you to charge on the drone. I only have the standard drone and a single battery and I badly wanted to plug the battery directly to the power supply, but DJI is forcing me to buy the charging hub

It's a concern that fast charging protocols are developing fast, and changing fast, and in order to get the best devices, you need to be a semi-electrical engineer. The prevalence of PD (Power Delivery), QC 2.0, 3.0, 4+, etc. has made getting the best charger for your particular device trickier. Then factor in Apple, and now others not providing a charger AT ALL, and you end up with people picking chargers based on the max wattage number and nothing else.

I learned some hard lessons with Samsung's Note 10 Plus's 45 Watt Super Fast charger. It was built so uniquely that Anker 45 watt and other brands didn't deliver the same rates. This was due to it being PD (now standard) which wasn't a problem, but also PPS, which was.PPS is Programmable Power Supply, not common at the time and less so now. It used variable voltage and static current, so instead of 5, 9 or 12 volts it was infinitely variable. See what I'm saying about needing an engineering degree?

I have reached a point where being able to see voltage and amperage gets me a quick wattage value that I'm getting at the plug. Better still is one of these inexpensive (under $20) little multimeters, amazing multicolor display with support for most USB types; micro-usb, USB-C, and USB-A as well as a dongle to change the range (works like the knob on a multimeter.)
SmartSelect_20211125-111933_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Here's a link:

Eversame 2 in 1 Type C USB Tester Color Screen LCD Digital Multimeter

With this attached to the charger output and whatever device you are charging, you know instantly which of your chargers are delivering the most power. Most power = fastest charge.

Also remember to use the hard wired cable to charge Mavic 3 batteries. A few made the mistake of using the detachable one and it charges SLOWLY 🐌. I tested it, and it's about 15 watts vs. 65.

Happy holidays, be safe out there. No charging in the shower folks!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211125-111933_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211125-111933_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I just ordered one.

Reactions: BlairAir
One user from DJI's official user forum was able to charge the Mavic 3 battery at 82-87W, using a Baseus 100W GaN II fast charger, with DJI Mavic 3 battery charging hub.

For the record, DJI's tech support stated in their official user forum, that Mavic 3 supports up to 88W PPS fast charging, and up to 65W via USB PD 3.0. It takes 96 minutes to fully charges the battery with the stock charger (65W, USB PD 3.0). If you can find a charger which provides 88W PPS fast charging, the time reduced to 78 minutes.

Personally I am quite confused by some of DJI's decision here:

1) Why choose to support 88W charging via PPS, and 65W via USB PD 3.0? It is so hard to find a 3rd party USB C charger which supports PPS fast charging beyond 45W.

2) Why ship a 65W USB PD charger with Mavic 3, instead of 88W PPS charger?

212927x84cqmti1im4csdd.jpg

screenshot 2.jpg

Last edited:
One user from DJI's official user forum was able to charge the Mavic 3 battery at 82-87W, using a Baseus 100W GaN II fast charger, with DJI Mavic 3 battery charging hub.

For the record, DJI's tech support stated in their official user forum, that Mavic 3 supports up to 88W PPS fast charging, and up to 65W via USB PD 3.0. It takes 96 minutes to fully charges the battery with the stock charger (65W, USB PD 3.0). If you can find a charger which provides 88W PPS fast charging, the time reduced to 78 minutes.

Personally I am quite confused by some of DJI's decision here:

1) Why choose to support 88W charging via PPS, and 65W via USB PD 3.0? It is so hard to find a 3rd party USB C charger which supports PPS fast charging beyond 45W.

2) Why ship a 65W USB PD charger with Mavic 3, instead of 88W PPS charger?

View attachment 139077

View attachment 139078

Might be 88w will reduse bat life?

Might be 88w will reduse bat life?
I don't know. If DJI think 88W reduces Mavic 3 battery life, then they should not add the 88W PPS support in the first place. And their tech support should not disclose that information in the user forum, and encourage users to find PPS-compatible chargers, if they wanted to reduce the battery charging time.

I guess there are some weird decision-making process inside DJI, about the design of Mavic 3, which may never made public.

I don't know. If DJI think 88W reduces Mavic 3 battery life, then they should not add the 88W PPS support in the first place. And their tech support should not disclose that information in the user forum, and encourage users to find PPS-compatible chargers, if they wanted to reduce the battery charging time.

I guess there are some weird decision-making process inside DJI, about the design of Mavic 3, which may never made public.
You are right, my thoughts were based on the swelling of MP and M2P batteries

You are right, my thoughts were based on the swelling of MP and M2P batteries
I was about to open a thread about M3 batteries swelling.

All of mine are already soft (puffy?) after a couple of uses. Not swelling out of the frame, but it doesn't seem good that they are already soft to start.

• Wow

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Usiron