DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob here - can I make a small business out of drone work?

Charlie987

Reactions
Hi Everyone

I've been (sort-of) furloughed for far too long now, and I'm looking at options for usefully occupying myself. I'm wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on whether it's feasible to make a bit of money on contract work with a drone?

I've been in touch with a training establishment who, naturally enough, are telling me that the market for aerial photography and surveys is bouyant, and are suggesting that I would find plenty of work. I'm looking at getting myself the GVC, and a Mavic 2 Pro, or something along those lines.

Of course, I'm aware that I'd start in the field with no experience (though I do have a flying background), and would need to build a bit of credibility. I'm looking at it as a potential "side-hustle" rather than a sure-fire way to get filthy rich!

I'd really appreciate any experiences or opinions that you could share.

Cheers
Charlie

Good morning and WELCOME to the forum.

First off I want to say.... Keep in mind that the "Training Establishment" is there to make $$ from you. It's in their best interest to paint a very colorful picture of the industry so that you're more enticed to enlist their services.

Caveat Emptor . . . . .​

They may not be painting the WHOLE/REAL picture unfortunately . . . The bar for entry into "Aerial Photography" is so low that you'll be competing with retirees, school kids looking to make play $$, as well as established photographers who are merely adding Aerial Services to their toolkit. All (3) of those competitors can probably do it for next to nothing (as well as you may be able to as well hence "side-hustle" was mentioned) and this tends to totally ruin the price matrix for those looking to actually make a fair wage using UAS Photography.

While it most certainly CAN be a profitable and very rewarding endeavor (I absolutely LOVE IT) it's a lot of work.

I also want to mention that you need to be a good PHOTOGRAPHER in order to be a good Aerial Photographer. It's just a really high Tripod for the camera and having an eye for composition, understanding photography, AND being a competent editor are all very IMPORTANT traits for Aerial Photography. Must more needed than "flying experience".

Good luck and Safe Flights :)

Reactions: SethB
Thank you, Big Al. The points you make are all well-made, and somewhat what I was expecting, to be honest.

Any thoughts on entering the marketplace as a provider of survey-type services?

Another important skill set is outreach to potential customers. This is basic to any small services business. Do ask yourself about your own motivations: Will I be happy and motivated in building my business, contact by contact, client by client?

Totally agree with BigAl on photo/video & flying skills! The truth is that you spend much more time on the ground building business, even as a side hustle.

Edit: survey work generally requires education, and requires professional licensing in many locations. On the other hand aerial/terrestrial survey and mapping is named out in many research reports for continuing rapid growth in employment.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hiya. Welcome to the forum. Are you in Manchester UK, or New Hampshire?

If the UK, then the market is pretty saturated to be honest. I work for the UK Government and used to fly drones for surveying purposes amongst other things. I still get daily calls from drone companies vying for our business, so much so that I’ve asked work for a new mobile number. Most chartered surveyors qualify their own staff and have their own equipment, similarly construction companies.

Also, you’ll need to be qualified, not only in flying but as in some kind of surveying/building qualification for any company to take you on. You’ll also need insurance, not just for your equipment but public liability too.

You might have a bit of luck checking residential roofing, or gutters - but, not enough to pay the bills. Again, you’ll need insurance.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61