DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Noosa National Park, Australia

Great footage, pity the day is so overcast (down here in Mount Cotton also!) the ocean would have looked great with some sunlight on it.
Got to get up there soon.

Do you have to get permission to fly in the Park?

I'm visiting in November and hoping to fly there. I see that it's clear in OpenSky but I tried contacting the Queensland Parks agency and just got a generic response.

I'm visiting in November and hoping to fly there. I see that it's clear in OpenSky but I tried contacting the Queensland Parks agency and just got a generic response.
I take the attitude if I launch on the headland and fly over the ocean it should be ok. I understand the rules are you can't fly in a National park which I try and avoid. Often fly from the shore line over the water in the park.

I take the attitude if I launch on the headland and fly over the ocean it should be ok. I understand the rules are you can't fly in a National park which I try and avoid.

Guys, you CAN fly anywhere in QLD National Parks though.

Drone safety

QLD and WA have no problems or restrictions, just fly to CASA rules.

NT isn't far behind, with an easy free permit available online for the period of a holiday visit.

The rest, yeah, just about forget it, all outright blanket ban taking off or launching inside the other states Nat Parks, and very often minor Conservation Parks.
Also, a lot of marine parks around the coast could be an issue, especially when filming marine cetaceans . . . they have some pretty strict distance rules for drones and other aircraft.

I think I saw a mention about not getting close to whales.

With the wide angle lenses, you'd have to get very close to photograph them and besides bothering the whales, you would be flying pretty far from shore so could be risking the equipment itself too.

I'm mostly interested in the terrain anyways so I wouldn't bother with whales. My concern is more about marine birds. Out here in the California coast there are all kinds of marine reserves and there are restrictions not only against drones but also against other aircraft, which are suppose to stay at like above 1000 feet altitude.

So not really good for photography.

But it may not just scare birds but maybe cause them to attack the drone.

I think I saw a mention about not getting close to whales.

With the wide angle lenses, you'd have to get very close to photograph them and besides bothering the whales, you would be flying pretty far from shore so could be risking the equipment itself too.

I'm mostly interested in the terrain anyways so I wouldn't bother with whales. My concern is more about marine birds. Out here in the California coast there are all kinds of marine reserves and there are restrictions not only against drones but also against other aircraft, which are suppose to stay at like above 1000 feet altitude.

So not really good for photography.

But it may not just scare birds but maybe cause them to attack the drone.

Yes, and each states seems to have different rules / distances for whales in particular, so pays to check.

As you are more interested in shoreline (though whales etc do come in VERY close sometimes, like 100m), don't stress too much about our birds.
They can get protective around nesting time, but in my 5 years drone flying I haven't had any coastal birds that interested in my Spark or Mavic Pro that they'd be a danger of being hit, or hitting my drone.

Now if you are eating hot chips (fries), then all bets are off.
There'll be hundreds of seagulls flying all around you.

Slightly inland, watch for Eagles, particularly Wedgetails.
Sometimes Peregrine Falcons can be around too, they are like the jet fighters of the sky.
Had one once VERY interested in My Mavic Pro, started buzzing it quite determinedly, so went straight up and away to safety.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61