DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

North Carolina Repeals Drone Knowledge Test and Permit Requirement

"state uncrewed aircraft systems (UAS) operator knowledge test and permit"

To be clear, this would NOT apply to the FAA's requirements associated with drone pilots.

OMG!! Did you read the comment section of that article lol The sky is falling...

No big deal. It's just motorcycle gangs and Mexican cartels cooking meth at night in enclosed deer stands (which should be outlawed) while drones are being used to watch for the police. Sure drones are used during the day to look at women in swimming pools, but apparently only the pretty women.

The first comment actually makes those claims. It's worth a read. The sinister conspiracy claims and dark government threats posted here by some are mild by comparison.

• Love
Reactions: Prop Wash
The guy in comment 1 "there are HUNDREDS of unlicensed" - he knows this how? Obviously, he is not aware or doesn't care there are now FAA part 107 rules in place that make NCs rule redundant. As far as his comments about drones flying over backyard to watch women in their swimsuits, the state should have Peeping Tom laws that cover that behavior.

Reactions: mavic3usa
The guy in comment 1 "there are HUNDREDS of unlicensed" - he knows this how? Obviously, he is not aware or doesn't care there are now FAA part 107 rules in place that make NCs rule redundant. As far as his comments about drones flying over backyard to watch women in their swimsuits, the state should have Peeping Tom laws that cover that behavior.
I dislike the comment in the article as well. However, there is no NC law that covers "flying over backyard to watch women in their swimsuits." Not something I would do or condone but at the same time, I don't support any law which seeks to criminalize behavior specific to a drone when that drone is flying in a place it is allowed to be and when looking at places where people have no expectation of privacy. If a person cannot be arrested for walking by your private home while using a public sidewalk and turning his head to look over at you on your deck laying out in the sun, then a person cannot be arrested for doing the same with a drone. The NC specifically involves a "room" and it requires the expectation of privacy and more importantly, I believe there some to be some nefarious intent which is often missing; so I cannot see how anyone flying a drone over backyards can be accused of a crime. For issues where drones are a repeated problem, one option for the "victim" maybe be to seek a RO if they have this problem. There are just too many factors involved for this to be a crime.

I'm glad this NC law is repealed. It wasn't exactly redundant but yes, it quickly wasn't needed once the federal requirements were adopted. NC was out of bounds, overboard, and more restrictive especially in these two areas: Surveillance and Launch & Recovery Sites. Happy it is no longer a model for other states and next up, mapping.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrobertsvideo