DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northwest Passage -- Success!

What's the point? Seeing just how close you can get to a tree without crashing into one?

Took it a little slower, and made it through!

This is probably my last one for today...end on an up note!

:)

TCS

It can make for a really cool effect flying thru house windows and car windows at the start to a flight
The best way might be to just use the drone as a moving Gimbal while its recording and than flying it out of your hand forward , takes some practice , but you will get a nice but safe effect from it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

One potential problem, I assume you are looking at the screen and can see things disappear 'under' the drone but, in quite a few places, you descend without pointing the camera down to check whether or not they are a threat.

I think the more you practice the more you'll smooth out your flying and soon you'll be flying "NW Passage" like a pro. We've all been there. We lift off, unsure of what it will do, what we will do. We don't want to crash. We fly somewhat timidly @ first. All part of "growing" as a pilot.
Suggestion: There is a section for posting video / pic to ask advice on them. If you have a vid/pic and ask for advice on how to do it better. Many pilots here will give you pointers. Doesn't matter your experience level or theirs, pilots here like to help. We all get better that way.

Reactions: Droniac
What's the point? Seeing just how close you can get to a tree without crashing into one?
Uhhh...no.

Weird question.

The point is to get through the tunnel.

I'm designing a drone course which I'm calling the Kessel Run:

1) Navigate the Northwest Passage
2) Climb up to Guardian Rock, and hover directly over it for 10 seconds. This is only legal with a strobe-equipped drone, so that you can maintain VLOS.
3) Go to a specific tree, hover over it for 10 seconds, and then return to the launch site.

It should be possible to do this with a full battery charge in a Mini-2. I was getting ready to do a timed run when the ocean of smoke inundated this area. Now, we've got 3" of snow on the ground, and it's still falling.

But I'll get back to it when weather permits!

TCS

It can make for a really cool effect flying thru house windows and car windows at the start to a flight
The best way might be to just use the drone as a moving Gimbal while its recording and than flying it out of your hand forward , takes some practice , but you will get a nice but safe effect from it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
I'm not sure I follow.

Once I start through the passage, the only reason I move the camera is to confirm my surroundings. I enable the function and turn the camera *UP* for this purpose, since the one time I got bit was from a branch that above me that I couldn't see.

I think what you're describing is something I may build up to eventually.

Thx!

TCS

One potential problem, I assume you are looking at the screen and can see things disappear 'under' the drone but, in quite a few places, you descend without pointing the camera down to check whether or not they are a threat.
Absolutely. I could see the drone quite clearly (only about 80 ft from my rear flight deck), and I did a number of test partial passes to map that out before making the final successful run.

But that's a very serious consideration for any kind of tunnel flying over an uneven surface.

Thx,

TCS

I think the more you practice the more you'll smooth out your flying and soon you'll be flying "NW Passage" like a pro. We've all been there. We lift off, unsure of what it will do, what we will do. We don't want to crash. We fly somewhat timidly @ first. All part of "growing" as a pilot.
Suggestion: There is a section for posting video / pic to ask advice on them. If you have a vid/pic and ask for advice on how to do it better. Many pilots here will give you pointers. Doesn't matter your experience level or theirs, pilots here like to help. We all get better that way.
You pretty exactly describe my early droning experience!

I only recently got my video editing software (Wondershare) thanks to advice I got here. So I did about half a dozen test edits on Sunday, since it was pouring rain all day.

I'll definitely take advantage of the "video critique" service. Maybe I can even get suggestions for places/routes I might try out on my little Mini-2s!

Thx,

TCS

I'm not sure I follow.

Once I start through the passage, the only reason I move the camera is to confirm my surroundings. I enable the function and turn the camera *UP* for this purpose, since the one time I got bit was from a branch that above me that I couldn't see.

I think what you're describing is something I may build up to eventually.

Thx!

TCS

The Kessel run sounds like a great idea, a lot of fun.
I was thinking you were trying to get a cinematic effect before you started actually flying but I see that is not the case.

You might consider getting the Mini 2 Wet suit Package as your trying to Navigate in the Rain.
I just posted a video of what the Mini 2 is capable of with the Wet Suit on the Front page of the Website.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.

Uhhh...no.

Weird question.

2) Climb up to Guardian Rock, and hover directly over it for 10 seconds. This is only legal with a strobe-equipped drone, so that you can maintain VLOS.
3) Go to a specific tree, hover over it for 10 seconds, and then return to the launch site.

It should be possible to do this with a full battery charge in a Mini-2. I was getting ready to do a timed run when the ocean of smoke inundated this area. Now, we've got 3" of snow on the ground, and it's still falling.

TCS
So you ARE trying to find creative ways to crash your drone.

The Kessel run sounds like a great idea, a lot of fun.
I was thinking you were trying to get a cinematic effect before you started actually flying but I see that is not the case.

You might consider getting the Mini 2 Wet suit Package as your trying to Navigate in the Rain.
I just posted a video of what the Mini 2 is capable of with the Wet Suit on the Front page of the Website.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.
On reflection, the Northwest Passage does have a lot of cinematic potential, I think. I just have no skills in that area, and I want to get my flying skills up to where I want them first.

I am going to have to check out your rain gear, since it looks like we're going to have a wet winter. Just as a general question, how do you make it safe to fly an aircraft with largely exposed electric motors in the rain?

Thx!

TCS

So you ARE trying to find creative ways to crash your drone.
Do, or do not.
There is no try.

;-)

No, I'm training myself to fly sufficiently precisely that I don't crash it.! Crashes are just part of that learning process.

:cool:

TCS

On reflection, the Northwest Passage does have a lot of cinematic potential, I think. I just have no skills in that area, and I want to get my flying skills up to where I want them first.

I am going to have to check out your rain gear, since it looks like we're going to have a wet winter. Just as a general question, how do you make it safe to fly an aircraft with largely exposed electric motors in the rain?

Thx!

TCS

The Motors on the DJI are Aluminum Brush-Less motors designed to negotiate water so well that there the same motors used in submersibles . So the Motors have never been an issue while flying in the Rain. The weak links are the vents ; battery and power button. Thus the entire focus of the Wet Suit is designed to protect those areas with and Air Tight seals.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

The Motors on the DJI are Aluminum Brush-Less motors designed to negotiate water so well that there the same motors used in submersibles . So the Motors have never been an issue while flying in the Rain. The weak links are the vents ; battery and power button. Thus the entire focus of the Wet Suit is designed to protect those areas with and Air Tight seals.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
OK, that makes sense, but I'd be concerned about blocking the battery vents. How do you address that?

Thx,

TCS

OK, that makes sense, but I'd be concerned about blocking the battery vents. How do you address that?

Thx,

TCS

You mean the vents on the side of the drone, there not blocked, there covered with a concave opening, making it much harder for rain to get in , thus also giving it protection when the drone is floating on the water also.

What drone do you have ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Uhhh...no.

Weird question.

TCS
Sounds like a plan! 👍🏻✌🏼

You mean the vents on the side of the drone, there not blocked, there covered with a concave opening, making it much harder for rain to get in , thus also giving it protection when the drone is floating on the water also.

What drone do you have ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Mini 2.

OK, I'm starting to see what you're doing.

Thx!

TCS

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Mini 2.

OK, I'm starting to see what you're doing.

Thx!

TCS
So the Mini 2 is completely different in the Rain than the other drones it only two weak links.
The Open Ports on the back that lead to the boards, and the sensors on the bottom that confuse the drone in the Rain.

The Mini 2 Wet Suit solves both those issues allowing for a solid flights in the pouring rain.
see this link here .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ibay