DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not sure on spark or air.

loophole

Reactions
I fly for fun. I like good quality pictures. I like smooth video. I know spark is 2 axis gimble and air is 3 axis. 4k is cool but I don't have any 4k monitors. I'm coming from a hubsan h501s if that means anything to anyone here. This would be my second gps drone. I know this is all a personal decision but just looking for any advice on the matter. Fly more combo is only option to me for the spark or the air. so price difference is basically doubled.

Things that really make me want to go after the air. Better obstacle avoidance, longer battery life, more features, better range, 3 axis gimbal.

Things that really make me prefer the spark. Quieter to fly, less noticeable, 1/2 the price, still has a lot of great features.

Once I figure out which one I want to go after I have to figure out a way to get my wife to not think/know about the price. lol.. she'd probably shoot me (joking people) if she knew.

I recently got the air and I love it. More important than picking the drone model (both choices are good choices) is thinking about what you are going to create with your new drone. Have fun!

Reactions: robmacom
If you are wanting smooth video, the Spark would disappoint you. It has basically the same camera as the Air as far as stills go. But video is a whole other animal. I had a Spark and sold it (at a considerable loss!) after getting a Mavic Air.

Range and video feed is a big priority to me, that along with speed (for fun flying) and battery..... while air is better at these it appears only marginable to me (correct me if I'm wrong please). Is the price difference worth it? I suppose that's all subjective... wish this was easier lol

it is? lol for twice the price?
If video is important, absolutely. If range is important, absolutely. If flight time per battery is important, absolutely. Also once the Air is 30 yards away you can hardly hear it, it is not an issue unless you are planning on peeping...

If video is important, absolutely.

This is where its tricky. My computer could barely edit 4k. I don't have a youtube channel nor do I have facebook. I don't have much "online presence" to post videos. Pictures would be more of the bigger option to me. However I enjoy flying drones outside of the "droneography"... and would enjoy speed etc...

This is where its tricky. My computer could barely edit 4k. I don't have a youtube channel nor do I have facebook. I don't have much "online presence" to post videos. Pictures would be more of the bigger option to me. However I enjoy flying drones outside of the "droneography"... and would enjoy speed etc...
I was going off of your earlier post. All of these are much better with the Air.

Range and video feed is a big priority to me, that along with speed (for fun flying) and battery.

I almost bought the spark but after watching reviews and videos I realized getting it would mean I would be upgrading soon. With the air I have no plans to upgrade for years. The 4K quality is amazing while 1080 is manageable.

?..My computer could barely edit 4k. I don't have a youtube channel nor do I have facebook. I don't have much "online presence" to post videos. Pictures would be more of the bigger option to me...

Same for me but I choose the MA anyway. Better range (I guess), D-Cinelike, RAW and 120 fps.

I have got both a spark and Air, being perfectly honest I would get the spark it’s a great little drone, and the video I have had has been crisp and when played on a good 4k HDR TV I cannot see hardly any difference with the 4K from the MA, the MA is noisy as well, which is annoying

Reactions: BlackCoffee
One last question. I know the speeds in sports mode. Information on line is a bit conflicting on what speeds are with obstacle avoidance on? Anyone know?

Spark obstacle avoidance on mph?
Air obstacle avoidance on mph?

If you can afford the air, buy the air. It does everything you find important much better than the Spark. I guarantee you won't regret the cost difference once you fly it for the first time.

Reactions: jmcgrath514
I could not agree more. For the price it is an amazing piece of engineering. I am completely hooked on flying rhe Air. What a great experience.

The extra cost will be forgotten quickly.

The (much) poorer resolution, and limited video performance due to stabilization issues will be with you, and those memories, forever. You can never go back and recapture more detail.

Doesn't matter if you can use it now. The way technology is going, you WILL be able to, and want to, in the future. 10 years from now, when reviewing old video with the kids and their families on the 32K holographic display in your home theater, it will make a HUGE difference if the source material is stabilized 4K rather than shaky 1080p.

Think carefully about what your agonizing over here, on the basis of a few hundred $$. I've got both, and I guarantee you you will be sorry if you get a Spark instead of an Air.

I fly for fun. I like good quality pictures. I like smooth video. I know spark is 2 axis gimble and air is 3 axis. 4k is cool but I don't have any 4k monitors. I'm coming from a hubsan h501s if that means anything to anyone here. This would be my second gps drone. I know this is all a personal decision but just looking for any advice on the matter. Fly more combo is only option to me for the spark or the air. so price difference is basically doubled.

Things that really make me want to go after the air. Better obstacle avoidance, longer battery life, more features, better range, 3 axis gimbal.

Things that really make me prefer the spark. Quieter to fly, less noticeable, 1/2 the price, still has a lot of great features.

Once I figure out which one I want to go after I have to figure out a way to get my wife to not think/know about the price. lol.. she'd probably shoot me (joking people) if she knew.
I have the h501s and air. It's worth the extra money for the air. That h501s would blink feed before it even lifted off. SMH. To save some money, buy online to avoid the tax. But the Air fly more combo is well worth the price. You won't regret it, as me being in the same shoes you are in. Have fun!

Reactions: BlackCoffee

I went through the same "mental" debate. Finally decided to go for it, and bought the Air. I've had it for a few weeks now, and while I am still learning all it will do, I have zero regrets!
We just took it on a vacation trip to the desert southwest. The winds were strong and relentless in some places we wanted to film, but I used the Air anyway. The resulting video and pics were amazing and rock solid steady even though the Air was being tossed around in the wind pretty good.
Bottom line, i won't dis the Spark, but if you can swing the extra coin, I don't think you will regret it!
It also helps to think about all the no-fun stupid **** you have blown $400 bucks on in life! haha!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54