DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not sure on spark or air.

I ended up going with the spark. I wanted something I could fly in the house on occasion that also wasn't extremely loud. After messing with it I think this is all the drone I would really ever need. After coming from a hubsan h501s I'm just amazed at how rock solid these things are … extremely steady.

Reactions: BlackCoffee
I ended up going with the spark. I wanted something I could fly in the house on occasion that also wasn't extremely loud. After messing with it I think this is all the drone I would really ever need. After coming from a hubsan h501s I'm just amazed at how rock solid these things are … extremely steady.
I think you made a good choice, it has its limitations but for casual use should be perfectly adequate enjoy

I fly for fun. I like good quality pictures. I like smooth video. I know spark is 2 axis gimble and air is 3 axis. 4k is cool but I don't have any 4k monitors. I'm coming from a hubsan h501s if that means anything to anyone here. This would be my second gps drone. I know this is all a personal decision but just looking for any advice on the matter. Fly more combo is only option to me for the spark or the air. so price difference is basically doubled.

Things that really make me want to go after the air. Better obstacle avoidance, longer battery life, more features, better range, 3 axis gimbal.

Things that really make me prefer the spark. Quieter to fly, less noticeable, 1/2 the price, still has a lot of great features.

Once I figure out which one I want to go after I have to figure out a way to get my wife to not think/know about the price. lol.. she'd probably shoot me (joking people) if she knew.
After comparing the Spark, Air, & Pro Series, I purchased the Air.
I have no regrets ...at all! The Air has 3 sets of cameras, currently all others have just front and backwards cameras. The portability of the Air Far surpasses the Pro. The Air’s battery life exceeds the Spark. Maybe if possible make a spreadsheet to compare all facets. Or check out this comparison. DJI Mavic Air vs Mavic Pro vs Spark - Drone Comparison - RIZKNOWS

Agreed the Air is more expensive than the Spark, however, this is not a toy, but an investment. I bought the Air bundle (3 batteries + other extras) again...no regrets.

Best of luck and enjoy your drone...DJI is THE brand imho. Also more and more drone apps are now adding the Air apps compatibility list. Lastly, if you like an app & the Air is not listed, contact the developer. There are apps (some free) that are compatible even though the app in the store does not list the Air. Check out Altizure...
Spidy Air Man out for now...

Reactions: badbrain
I have both and use both. For better shots I use the Air but I have the Spark for when I want to get something quickly in the air or I will lose the shot. As others have said, if you are a causal user the Spark is more than adequate IMHO.

If you are using it strictly for indoor use then the Spark is your bird but I owned one and was very disappointed with the range, video feed but taking pictures was fine. Its more of a selfie drone from all the rest. , toy I would call it but you are coming from 501s , you will love the Spark..but don’t expect good things from it outside. I owned one for 2 weeks and sold it to get the AIr and never looked back. Good luck.

I can't count all the times I bought something and then regretted I hadn't paid more for something better. When you buy on the low end, you will soon outgrow it and start wistfully looking at upgrading. Now of course, anything you can buy can be upgraded, but the Air has an awful lot of bang for the buck. From your description, I'd say the Air is a better match for what you want.

Air all the way. In resolve or fcpx you can downgrade 4K to edit then upscale upon render.

it is? lol for twice the price?

Yes, based on your listed priorities, it is a no brainer. If you buy the spark, you will just be frustrated and end up selling it at a loss and then buy something else (probably the Air), making it the most expensive option. Your least expensive option is the buy the right thing in the first place. The Air is not any louder than the air (I have both) so I don't know where that is coming from but the 3 axis gimbal is mandatory if you want smooth video that doesn't look like a CCTV security camera.

Also, the Air gives you RAW stills and that is huge.

The real world 5min longer flight time is also huge for video work.

Based on your original list of priorities, the only advantage the Spark has is price and there is a reason it costs a lot less, it does a lot less.

One last question. I know the speeds in sports mode. Information on line is a bit conflicting on what speeds are with obstacle avoidance on? Anyone know?

Spark obstacle avoidance on mph?
Air obstacle avoidance on mph?

You won't be flying it in sport mode all that often. It is fun for a quick playing around flight but for video you will never use it. I fly professionally and I only ever go into sport mode when I'm trying to show off to the client or I need it to get back to me faster in a head wind.

You won't be flying it in sport mode all that often. It is fun for a quick playing around flight but for video you will never use it. I fly professionally and I only ever go into sport mode when I'm trying to show off to the client or I need it to get back to me faster in a head wind.
Exactly, fun to cruise for a bit, seeing how fast (I got 68kph). But I use it mainly to get back when battery is low. E.g. yesterday, 250 m out over a lake, low battery warning (4.5 mins), switched to sport mode and was back and landing in under a minute.

Reactions: Samphotom
I mostly do it with the I2 when showing off with a client. The Inspire flying past, low and fast (60mph) is an impressive thing and sounds really cool.

I have the MP-P$P-Spark and the Air there all great birds.. i fly the spark using otg... Is the go to bird to just fly especially at night los in sport mode i love it. but i love all of them!! and God forbid you lose it it's only 300 bucks versus the alternatives which all are cost double at the min.

Reactions: BlackCoffee
OP, great choice. The Spark will serve you well. I buy everything DJI makes and have had my Spark since day one. I still use it all the time based solely on the fact that it’s so quick to launch. If you know it’s technical limitations you will make some fantastic videos and take great photographs. Fly safe and enjoy.

This may be a bit late but here goes.

My first drone was a MPP combo. I bit off an awful big financial bite but I use PayPal when it is to my advantage. 6 months, same as cash.

I did not know that a neighbor was recently into drones. Conversation I mentioned my new toy found out he had a couple of the little bitty ATTI drones, a H501 and he built a racing drone. (Learn ATTI flying if you don’t already it can save your bacon if things go BAD.). He was wanting more function and interested in a MP, Air or a Spark. He ruled out the MP based on cost and decided on a Spark. After a few months he is wondering if he made the right decision.

The Spark is a good flying quite capable bird. I think you have enough information to make a decision. It is obvious this is not an impulse buy or you would have said HEY, I JUST BOUGHT. . . . .

Go back, read each response, make notes, list questions, watch the link to the video. Only you know your financial status, look into PayPal. Clearing throat, Some times it is better to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.

I bought directly from DJI, save the tax and get a bit newer bird than someone who has it “in stock”. What ever you do, don’t have regrets. That will take all the joy out of it.

YOU WILL enjoy what ever you get.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas