DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not to be a Karen (drone police) but would you do differently?

nice talking… if tou talk like this to him, would you think he listen to you?? …
He didn't pay any attention to me and maybe I should have delayed my departure to see what the outcome was... But I got down to the bottom of Smugglers Notch and found this... Looking North into the Notch and NOT worrying about the fool and his drone... Having WAY too much fun...DJI_0203-Pano.jpg

Reactions: Daytona500
Are you available, in a purely diplomatic role, to resolve problems in conflict areas around the world? Free flights to those zones would be a perk for you. All you need is that non-confrontational manner of dealing with situations. Give you this weekend to think about it - get back to me Monday morning. Oh, by the way, a short stop in Washington to get sworn in - no biggie.
I'd only go if I could take along tactical nukes... Low yield... :cool:
I work in customer service and I have a good tolerance for stupid (been there myself) but I got his answer and moved on because if it didn't matter to him, it didn't matter to me... Nuff said...

He seemed to know about the issues.

And yes, to be honest. It is a very Karen question to ask
"I did ask if he was hoping it would fail mid-flight and then he'd have a reason to go buy a new one. "

Why would anyone even think about that as a question to ask? Seriously,.

Nothing wrong with pointing out something.

Why did you land for his benefit anyway? I know exactly where you are flying (been there). Plenty of room for several drones if you have LOS. I would have just moved over to him and let him know I have a drone in the air and let us just be careful.

I appreciate that you are new and asking these questions.
LOS was limited and I didn't have a spotter to keep me safe. (my spotter was home with covid) I've only been flying 2 years so I thought not knowing him or what he was looking to shoot it would be better if I gave him space. If it was a friend and we were standing next to each other and could deconflict, that would be something else... I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I was up in Smuggler's Notch this October and I was close to being done when another person pulled in close behind me (not a lot of parking in the Notch) but I noticed he was pulling out and setting up his drone so I decided to cut my flight short since I didn't think it would be safe to have two up at the same location and the view of the drones is limited due to the canopy.
So I brought mine down and put it away and went to see what he was flying. I didn't recognize the older Mavic Air (I am new...) and I was shocked by the drone's condition.
at least 2 chipped blades and 2 blades were split from the end towards the middle??? I did point this out and he said he crashed it a week ago and it was a tough drone and flies strong? Really? (He said he had flown it a couple times since with no problem)
I did ask if he was hoping it would fail mid-flight and then he'd have a reason to go buy a new one. That got a smile...

Well, I wanted to get away from him so I got in my car and headed down the notch. I don't know what happened to this flight or if he even got off the ground. I may be a Karen for pointing these things out but I wondered what others would do?
The below image is an example of Snowliage (snow and fall foliage)

View attachment 157051

"I did ask if he was hoping it would fail mid-flight and then he'd have a reason to go buy a new one. "

Your Diplomacy was mixed with a twist Humor. In my book, that's always an A+

:)

btw, That's a Lovely drone photo
&
Have great Thanksgiving!

Reactions: New England Droning
Giving some advice to other hobbyist is not being a Karen, not everyone is on the same level and no one knows everything.

If you see the props are in bad condition, the proper thing to do is to tell him he should change them unless his hobby is not droning but searching for the drone 😆

He didn't pay any attention to me and maybe I should have delayed my departure to see what the outcome was... But I got down to the bottom of Smugglers Notch and found this... Looking North into the Notch and NOT worrying about the fool and his drone... Having WAY too much fun...View attachment 157367
My post was not to you ;) for someone elses post, what has deleted. No worries

Your Diplomacy was mixed with a twist Humor. In my book, that's always an A+

:)

btw, That's a Lovely drone photo
&
Have great Thanksgiving!
Thanks... I'm a better photographer than a pilot but I'm working on that...

My post was not to you ;) for someone elses post, what has deleted. No worries
I wonder if I deleted his post I meant to delete my reply which was taken wrong... sorry to the person who posted the Canadian/Falls if I deleted theirs... I didn't think I could do that... I better leave well enough alone...

So have you flown in Crawford or Franconia notches
I wish I could... getting @1500 ft off the road (1/4 mile) or even close to it in order to launch is my first problem. I also think the WMNF rangers know that getting a hole in the canopy to maintain LOS is difficult to say the least.

I can clear the MOAs (meaning I have the schedulers phone #) so I know if and when the MOAs will be hot. but just because the FAA will allow us to fly, the WMNF folks make it very difficult to T/O or LND in any place that is "easy to get to... The on-the-spot fines are large.
I know they will sell a permit but according to a producer at the BBC who had a cameraman flying on the Kanc this fall, the price for one is large and not easy to get.
So no I have not launched in those areas.

He didn't pay any attention to me and maybe I should have delayed my departure to see what the outcome was... But I got down to the bottom of Smugglers Notch and found this... Looking North into the Notch and NOT worrying about the fool and his drone... Having WAY too much fun...View attachment 157367
In a single word, "Spectacular". Twice, I visited Crawford Notch; both times pre-drone ownership. As a follow-up to your outstanding photo, I plan to add Smuggler's Notch to my personal bucket list.

In a single word, "Spectacular". Twice, I visited Crawford Notch; both times pre-drone ownership. As a follow-up to your outstanding photo, I plan to add Smuggler's Notch to my personal bucket list.
I try to fly where I have clear permission. I wish the White Mountains in NH had more leeway. So many wonderful images are taken over there but I have to assume they are skirting the rules. So I feel safer flying in Vermont. Only the resort (Smuggs) prohibits T/O and Landing (and I did break that rule because me and another pilot took off from the far side of their parking lot (nowhere near people/cars but on their property) but they have no signage to prevent/warn pilots and nothing in my apps indicated a problem.
The Notch is so far clear as long as no one does anything stupid to get us banned...

The way I fly you would ask this question. " Would I put my family on it and fly on the thing " seems simple enough. There was a question last week about a swollen battery. Would you plug this battery into your aircraft and fly your family off to the next vacation spot. If the answer is NO, get another battery.

I'd certainly put my in-laws on a beat-up drone and fly it out miles over the ocean

• Haha
I count myself fortunate as I live in an area (rural Oregon) where I have many places to fly that have no people around and many routes to take that don't fly over homes or buildings

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR