DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not used for over a year

Mycallhill

Reactions
Do I need to do anything before reusing my mini after a long lay off;ie update operating version?;will it still work ok without doing any updates??-thanks

It will work same as before but why not take advantage of updates that came out in between ?

Reactions: dozzn
i would be more concerned that after a year of none use .that the batteries where still ok, did you check them regularly for remaining charge in storage

The electronics should be fine but like Old Man Mavic said there could be problems with the batteries if they weren't maintained during such a long bit of cold storage. Now if you checked them periodically for levels and brought them back up to around 60% if they were below 30-40 then even those should be good. If you had your bird out on display it might be a good idea to blow compressed air through the motors to get rid of dust build up but if she was in a storage bag/ case you're probably fine.

Do I need to do anything before reusing my mini after a long lay off;ie update operating version?;will it still work ok without doing any updates??-thanks
To be safe, update and re-condition your batteries with smart charger.

When you fire it up it should notify you about updates..treat it like it was new out of the box and DO THE UPDATES!

I had a phantom 3 advanced sit for more than 3 years due to an injury and disability. About once a year I charged the batteries. Took it out a few months ago, updated the software, charged the batteries again and it works fine. Since then I’ve upgraded to the new Mavic mini 2.

I have a new battery that has never been charged. How long can i safely store it until I need to charge?
you dont say which drone you have if it is one of the latest ones, then the batteries come in a sleep mode and need that first charge to wake them up, the issue with storing batteries once they have been charged, is over a protracted period of time they will loose some charge ,this can take a long time depending on how they have been stored and the problem arises when they get to a very low voltage and then the chemistry in the battery becomes compromised and they then are no longer able to take on a charge ,there are people who try to revive them by putting a higher voltage / amperage than is required to try and kick start the battery ,but this can be a dangerous procedure if you dont know what you are doing and believe me if they ignite then the results aren't pretty

I have a new battery that has never been charged. How long can i safely store it until I need to charge?
Depends on how they are store if fully charged and left off charger 90 DAYS..!!
Most are set to discharge a minimal amount in 10 days after being fully charged and removed from a charger

………cR

you dont say which drone you have if it is one of the latest ones, then the batteries come in a sleep mode and need that first charge to wake them up, the issue with storing batteries once they have been charged, is over a protracted period of time they will loose some charge ,this can take a long time depending on how they have been stored and the problem arises when they get to a very low voltage and then the chemistry in the battery becomes compromised and they then are no longer able to take on a charge ,there are people who try to revive them by putting a higher voltage / amperage than is required to try and kick start the battery ,but this can be a dangerous procedure if you dont know what you are doing and believe me if they ignite then the results aren't pretty
I have a Mavic 2 Pro. The new battery is my #3 and I have not had to use more than 2 so I have left this one in sleep mode.

When you fire it up it should notify you about updates..treat it like it was new out of the box and DO THE UPDATES!
See Post #4 above! User control over the batteries is being removed in all the battery updates!

I mainly fly in during my hollidays, snce that is (more or less) the only times I come in areas where I can fly without to much concern about possible unvollanteerly violating against one or the other rule or regulation.
About three weeks before I want to start flying again, I clean the dining table, pu up the drone, the controler, the tablet and what ever else I use to fly and check every item for visible damage, unchecked items at one side of the table, checked at the other side. Then all batteries get charged in my presence, so IF a problem would occur, I am there to imeediatly act.
After all checks and charging is done, it gets time to connect the drone to the computer, get DJI-Assistant running, and check for updates etc. Repeat this with all three batteries, incase there might be a problem with one of them.
Then I go outside and tell the neighbours, I'm going to fly for a roof inspection (which I do indeed, but it is more kind of an equipment check). Most of the time, the neighbours ask if I can do a check on their roof too :)
This gives me some relaxed time to see if there is any problem and it gives me about three weeks time to find a solution if there is.
The whole procedure costs me about a day, but then feel sound and safe to go out in the Swedish Wilderness for the bigger expeditions.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25